Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Help with Carb!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2000, 08:32 PM
wgr
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like your float is not working take off the float bowl and make sure it moves up and down freely,also make sure your inlet needle is free to move in the seat.

Old 03-08-2000, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

ummmm whats an inlet needle??? I can handle the other stuff..... but inlet needle?? thanks..... please get back to me tonight!! your a savior

Old 03-08-2000, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

Take the cap back off of the bowl, then turn the gas back on. If a steady stream of gas doesn't come out, then the needle that the floats control is stuck. By steady I mean consistant, it won't flow out as fast as if you just had the gas line unhooked and then turned the gas on. If no gas comes out then maybe try tapping on the side of the carb(no hammer), and see if that makes it flow.

Old 03-08-2000, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

Take the cap back off of the bowl, then turn the gas back on. If a steady stream of gas doesn't come out, then the needle that the floats control is stuck. By steady I mean consistant, it won't flow out as fast as if you just had the gas line unhooked and then turned the gas on. If no gas comes out then maybe try tapping on the side of the carb(no hammer), and see if that makes it flow.

Old 03-08-2000, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

The X is back in full attack boys... Well at least it starts and runs good, I couldnt take it outside cuz it was raining like a bitch. But i got a few questions, 1) Whats it mean when there is a bunch of WHITE smoke after it started up, Was it the Carb cleaner getting burned off or something else?? 2) How do i know when i get the air/fuel mixture right?? well thats it, thanks!!!

Old 03-09-2000, 05:11 PM
Trailblazer

The white smoke could have been carb cleaner. It also may have been gas moving thriugh a jet in the carb that hasn't seen gas in a while. Being an '87, I'd still consider dunking it, I know that it's harsh but, it works. Not to get off the subject, but I worked on a Bobcat once that belonged to my Dad. We spent all day trying to get it running after it sat through the winter. After repeatedly hand cleaning the carb with a brush, compressed air, and carb cleaner, it still wouldn't run on anything but eather. The carb spent the night in the magic goo. The next morning we bolted it on, and as soon as I bumped the key, it was running. No adjustments required. Anyway, before you go tweeking on the mixture screw, I'd soak it. Then, start the bike, let it get up to operating temperature, make damn sure the choke is all the way off. (This will give you fits later if you adjust it cold or with the choke partially on) Run the moter at an idol, turn the mixture screw in until the motor begins to die, then back the screw out about a half a turn. This screw is only to set the idle mixture. Carb jets and those tiny little air passages effect mixture above an idle. The carb is jetted to run the right mixture. If it's running lean or rich, above an idle, it's dirty. Case closed. Unless you have added a header or changed pipes, the jetting should be correct. Air filter will also affect mixture. Make sure that it is clean. A sign that it is running rich is you will smell it like unburned fuel. You'll see it as black or dark gray soot inside the pipe. Another sign is accessive back fires. Loud popping, as you let the motor slow you down while going down a hill. Some backfireing is expected in that case but alot is too much. That is my version of carberator 101, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Sorry if I bored you veterans.

Old 03-10-2000, 10:07 AM
Weekend Warrior