400ex or z400

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400ex or z400

[quote]
Originally posted by: chad400ex
. Isn't riding atv's supposed to be fun, and not a big pissing match between one brand and another?

my **** goes farther than your **** goes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-29-2003, 11:27 PM
Trailblazer
Default 400ex or z400

rebel, not sure if you noticed, this post is 1 yr old, and half the ppl who typed in this don't come on anymore.

Old 07-29-2003, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer
Default 400ex or z400

I'll give you an honest opinion after riding both of these quads for 1 week each.... The 400EX is a good quad, the one I rode has FMF Powerbomb Header, FMF Megamax II Silencer completely open, K&N Filter, jetted, Nerfs....anyway the EX has much more bottom end and dosen't mind if you just want to lug around. It has as power where and when you want it, nothing unexpected... I really like this EX it handles very nice and fells light as a feather in the air. Reverse no problem this thing turns and spins around like nobodys buisness. It turns tighter than my current 300EX. The EX with the right clutch and tug you can ride power wheelies in 5th gear... The EX has a little lighter front end than the Z.

On the other hand the Z is a wonderful machine, it has a full Yoshi exhaust and Uni filter, jetted...no wories of heating up and loosing power, handles good, Reverse is nice,clutch is a little pesky when trying to lug around...plain and simple you can't lug it like the EX. It will greenhorn and send you over the bars if your not careful creeping in 1st gear. The power is there but you need to keep the revs up more than the EX, which is no slug even at low RPMs, overall the transition from the 400EX to Z is different but the biggest difference is with the bottom end power compared to the hard hitting midrange of the Z.

I like both of these quads very much but ....I'd buy the EX if it was liquid cooled(maybe even 450 or 650) and had Reverse and on the other hand I'd buy the Z if it had a more luggable bottom end with out loss of mid and top. Overall both are very good quads and its all about your liking. Ride both and then choose which one is for you. If its trails and rocky hills are your territory then the EX is probably for you. On the other hand if longer straights and smooth less slow rocky hills or sand dunes are your speed then you'll like the Z better. It just depends on your riding style and skill. Like I said take a good ride on both and then decide for yourself thats the only way you'll be happy with your purchase. Don't listen to brand specific people because they can't tell you which one you like best......Hope this helps