Got a 250r a few weeks ago, and......

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002 | 07:43 PM
|
Pro Rider

Done then [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-02-2002 | 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

You can certainly run the fuel/oil ratios I posted. I know of people that actually run the Neo at 100:1 without problems on Shees at Glamis where they are run hard. It depends on the oil.
You can run Golden Spectro and Amsoil at 50:1 no problem. But, you do with your engine what you want, and run the oil you want. Just as long as you're happy with it and aren't having problems, GREAT! I ran an engine with 50:1 for 7 years and I do Glamis 6-8 times a year! Engine was built by Orange County Honda.
Plug chops can be done for any speed range. If you're getting a slightly black plug, you're a touch rich on the jetting. You won't hurt the engine with it this way, but, depending on how it's being ridden, it still may not be right. Jetting depends as much on elevation/temperature/humidity as anything else.
Find a place where it can be opened up in 5th or 6th gear. Get it warmed up, go away from staging area, turn around, tap it out in 5th or 6th and count to 30. Now, while holding the throttle wide open, pull in the clutch and shut off the engine. Keep the throttle wide open the whole time. Use the brakes to stop. When stopped, then pull the plug. Black/oily=too rich and need to step down main jet size. White/shiny=too lean and need to step up main jet size.
Stock main jets
.148, .150, .152, .155, .158, .160, .162, etc.
To change the main jet, shut off the fuel, take a 17mm box wrench and take the plug out of the bottom of the carb. Stick your finger in the hole and that hex-head you feel is the main jet. Use a 6mm socket (or get a jet tool, they're only a couple of bucks) and remove the jet. To replace, for the first time, have someone hold the throttle open so it pulls the needle out of the way and replace the jet. Once you have it screwed in (don't make it too tight, it's pretty small) release the throttle and replace the plug in the carb and turn the fuel on and you're good to go!

Old 07-03-2002 | 03:48 AM
|
Pro Rider

Could be black cause kids ride it 1/4 throttle open a lot huh?? Putting a pipe on it COULD also make it right (leaner) too. It did on my '82 250r, 10 years ago. Hummmmmmm.
Also, adjusting the fuel/air mixture (1/4 turn in) is better adjusting it, than messing with the oil/fuel mixture (from:32-1 to 42-1), CORRECT?

Ron

Old 07-03-2002 | 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

<< If you don't run any oil in the gas it will scream like a wild boar in heat! The oil takes power away from the fire. That is comon sense. The oil is in the gas to LUBRICATE the piston, not give it more power! >>

this statement right here would lead me to believe just how uneducated about 2 stroke technology you are.
once your motor is up to optimum operating temp your oil anf fuel seperate the oil staying at the bottom of the motor to lubricate the lower rod bearings and crank bearings and put a a very thin film of oil oc the cylinder wall.and it has been scientifically proven that the more oil in the fuel the more horsepower the engine will make.can you guess why? becuase it is better lubricated,more lubrication means less friction which in turns means more horsepower.
and your theory about to much oil hurts the burn process of the fuel is way wrong.32:1 is a good mixture for any two stroke wether it a weedwacker,
lawn mower or a quad.
desertbum i would really pitch the splitfire they are no better plug then the NGK and the NGK are cheaper. there's a reason why ever single race team in the country runs NGK and why every machine off the factory assembly line comes standard with NGK.because they work.
i would stick with your fuel mixture with 32:1 and if your machine runs good then leave it.and as far as transmission oils go,don't buy into the hype that those overpriced motorcycle oils are better then the same automotive oils you can get for less then half the price at autozone are better.
in a recent study with 4 major auto oil manufacturers and 4 major motorcycle oil manufacturers, it was proven that the newer advanced auto oils actually worked better in the motorcycles then the motorcycle oil did.the automotive oils actually hold their viscosity longer then motorcycle oils do.and in fact the motorcycle oils were better suited for cars then motorcycles.Castrol GTX 10w40 is what i've been using in my trannies for years and that is the same oil that many professional race teams ,pro engine builders and pro tuners use in their bikes and quads also. not to mention that motorcycle oils are way over priced at $3 a bottle or more and you can buy castrol GTX for about $1.40 a bottle.
just clean and oil your air filter regularly and change the tranny fluid after about every 15-20 hours and stay with your present fuel mixture.
and just so you know all the golden spectro oils did the worst in all those oil tests.and mobil 1 actually ended up being the best oil out of all of them,with castrol gtx coming in second.

Old 07-03-2002 | 01:06 PM
|
Pro Rider

Mobil 1 makes 2 stroke oil? Where do you get it?

Ron

Old 07-03-2002 | 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

no mobil1 doesn't make two stroke premix oil.i was talking about your basic oil for car or fourstroke motorcycle.i recommend 10w40castrol GTX in your 2 stroke transmission and highly recommend bel-ray H1-R 2 stroke premix oil.

Old 07-03-2002 | 01:23 PM
|
Pro Rider

Here is a thread. Don't use Motor oil in your gear box.
http://www.floridatrailriders.org/articles/techinf3.htm

Ron

Old 07-03-2002 | 01:40 PM
|
Pro Rider

&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;Could be black cause kids ride it 1/4 throttle open a lot huh?? Putting a pipe on it COULD also make it right (leaner) too. It did on my '82 250r, 10 years ago. Hummmmmmm.
Also, adjusting the fuel/air mixture (1/4 turn in) is better adjusting it, than messing with the oil/fuel mixture (from:32-1 to 42-1), CORRECT?&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

Curious about this, any ideas to that????

Ron

Old 07-03-2002 | 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

here read this test.oil testnow this test has real results and answers.the test you just had me read is totally bogus and has absolutely no proof of anything.you're justy going on somones word here.they have nothing scientific or anything documented as to how and what they actually tested.

Old 07-03-2002 | 01:56 PM
|
Pro Rider

I just did a quick search. I do know this, trans oil in gerneral has a lot more detergent(s) in it than motor oil. Nothing wrong with knowledge [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Ron

Quick Reply: Got a 250r a few weeks ago, and......