Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

honda 750 ex is comming,

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 04:41 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wouldn't trade my 400ex for anything. i don't care how "low tech" it is. it's still the best in my eyes. yes, i know it doesn't have arm stretching power, unbelevable suspension travel or liquid cooling. i love my 400ex because of what it doesn't have--problems. i have yet to meet someone who didn't like thier 400ex. i can't say that about any other "high-performance" quad. i'm not a honda freak by any means, i simply like a good deal. when i look at the atv market i see it like this: the raptor has to many bugs, the DS is to bulky, i wouldn't want to work on the c-dale, the z400 is.....suzuki, and the EX is just right.

Old 07-10-2002, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider

Well, the 250R weighs about as much as a blaster roughly. That reduced weight has to come from somewhere, right?

Anyway, just to keep this on track... I am not putting down any Honda machines nor am I trying to compare a Banshee to any Honda... They're almost completely different.

My point is this: People have 2 choices when it comes to Honda. 1) either quit fuelling the rumor mill and be happy with what they ride now and admit the limitations or 2) go out and get a modern high performance quad from somebody else.

Holding your breath for Honda to step up and produce a true high performance machine will result in you suffocating. If you like your Honda then fine but please don't try to put it in the same class as the modern high performance machines.

Old 07-10-2002, 04:40 PM
Trailblazer

In September a 650EX will be out. By using the XR650 engine. I'd bet 1000 on it.

Old 07-10-2002, 04:48 PM
Trailblazer

<< but please don't try to put it in
the same class as the modern high performance machines.
>>

LMAO HAHAHA Do you have the slightest idea of how many low tech,crappy,air cooled 400EX's take the flag at races?

They are easily the best trail machine out there.

They are still very worthy of being compared to the other &quot;modern day&quot; quads.

Old 07-10-2002, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

last1left, I never used the word crappy or any other deragatory term to describe the 400ex. Please don't put words in my mouth, OK.

Yes, I do have an idea but the number is dwindling because of C-Dales, Z400s and Raptors (depending on the type of race and cc limits. Bear in mind that the 400ex used to fill a niche in that it used to be the best 440cc and below class machine out there. Not any more.

Why is the 400ex EASILY the best trail machine out there??? Because of it's lack of reverse? Lack of power?? Lack of liquid cooling??? 5-speed tranny???? Because it has nearly identical reliability as the other Japanese built quads????? Please explain.

BTW, you can still compare them to modern quads but it's hardly fair to Honda to do that. Every other manufacturer has outclassed Honda. Even POLARIS who is the butt of many jokes is coming out with a high performance quad.

Old 07-10-2002, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

I never doubt how good the 400ex is,
a great trail machine, yes
a great mx bike, yes
a great all around bike, yes
a technological breakthrough, no....

I think the point that people are trying to make is that Honda keeps playing it safe. Sure its a reliable machine, its built on old technology!!!! Now dont think im saying anything wrong with that, but...... Honda plays it safe and sticks with their guns that work. Im a firm believer in the &quot;If it aint broke, dont fix it&quot; deal, however, in order to make progress in technology you have to take chances and risks. Now that said, every bit of new technology that comes out is imperfect. It takes time for machinery and innovative ideas to get ironed out. Look at Cannondale, they came out with FX400 and it had its fair share of problems, a year and a half later the new models are out and look, they are pretty reliable looking so far. Honda is playing it safe, because, ( IMHO ) thats the best way to make a buck. There are 2 kinds of people, people willing to ride the slower of the machines because they wont have to work on it as much or risk breaking down ( honda people ) , and the rest of the world, the people that ARE willing to have the newest bike because its cool and powerful and fast, so what it breaks!! oh well! cars break, computers break, everything breaks! Where are you people going to draw the line where Honda needs to step up to the plate and hit a home run instead of bunting!

Old 07-10-2002, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually I'd seriously consider purchasing a 400EX if the 2003 came with reverse. Otherwise it isn't worth a poop to me for trail riding and exploring.

I do not see a 650EX in the future and especally do not see them making a 750EX. Besides, both machines would be heavy and wouldn't offer as good all around preformance as a Z400. My money is waiting for Bombardier to release their 400cc sport quad.

Old 07-10-2002, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer

<< last1left, I never used the word crappy or any other deragatory term to describe the 400ex.
Please don't put words in my mouth, OK.
>>

That came out of my mouth not yours. I said those derogatory reamrks because everyone is saying how old schooled it is,but yet it still competes in some forms of ATVing.

<< Yes, I do have an idea but the number is dwindling because of C-Dales, Z400s and
Raptors (depending on the type of race and cc limits. Bear in mind that the 400ex used to
fill a niche in that it used to be the best 440cc and below class machine out there. Not any
more.
>>

No of course its not the BEST anymore,but you said it can't be compared to modern day machines,it can,it still wins races,not all but some.

<<

Why is the 400ex EASILY the best trail machine out there??? Because of it's lack of
reverse? Lack of power?? Lack of liquid cooling??? 5-speed tranny???? Because it has
nearly identical reliability as the other Japanese built quads????? Please explain.
>>

1.Excellent stability.
2.Excellent Handling.
3.Liquid Cooling? How does liquid cooling effect if its a good trail machine or not? Besides higher revs,which it doesn't need for trails?
4.Not all Jap based companies are as reliable as Honda.....i'm not going to get into that issue.
5.PLENTY power for trails it doesn't need anymore,except for wide open trails but thats more like a fireroad.

<< BTW, you can still compare them to modern quads but it's hardly fair to Honda to do that.
Every other manufacturer has outclassed Honda. Even POLARIS who is the butt of many
jokes is coming out with a high performance quad.
>>

Its only been what 3 years? How long did it take for the Raptor to come out? More thanwhat we have waited so far! What about the z400?

Maybe they want to get it right the first time you think??

Old 07-10-2002, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

Whats a major factor that robs hp in an engine? Heat. Reduce heat and hp goes up. Bore the engine and get rid of the metal that is there to cool it down and what do you get, more heat. So why are all new sport quads coming out with liquid cooling? Now I'll bet the farm that if honda does come out with a new quad that it will have liquid cooling, reverse and will be introduced to compete with the raptor and the z400. But hey a little competition never hurts. So come on honda we're waiting.

Old 07-11-2002, 12:16 AM
RIP Dear Friend

I am not adding anything to this other than I have had a Raptor that has been running for 15 months for my sport riding needs in the woods and on the road and I am having a lot of fun till the wait is over.

Ride now whatever it is they make in the present and enjoy it.

The future is so great.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Chet

Quick Reply: honda 750 ex is comming,