Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Questions about '02 250EX

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 02:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yikes. i am NOT a racer of any sort and i am very cautious of my surroundings. on the local ATV Track, i ALWAYS hold my line and brake at the turns. the closest i have gotten to having an accident in the past year of riding (knock on wood)was softly nudging my friend's modified blaster multiple times on a set of trails and sending my front 2 wheels flying over a bank on a trail, which thankfully didnt damage anything.did your friend replaced his a-arms with stock or aftermarket? i know aftermarket parts for the EX are frustratingly hard to find. since i dont have a job, my cash flow is VERY small and that would basically sideline my quad and i for many months. i have nowhere near that kind of money to go replacing parts left and right. Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 07-09-2002, 03:21 PM
Trailblazer

my reply to fendercover:

oh. now that you say that about the shifting, i'm not sure if i should get smaller tires .do you also have to shift more in order to stay in the meat of the powerband or do you just have to shift sooner? i go through first gear really quick (even when i barely give it gas) and i guess smaller tires would only make the problem worse.how much sooner do you have to shift? do you think buying bigger tires than 20" but smaller than stock (or even possibly same size, but a tire with a flat tread pattern)make the problem not as prevalent? i just want to get rid of the balloon tires so turning at higher speeds (i.e high 3rd-4th gears)doesnt feel like a nightmare. at my local track that i ride sometimes in the middle of the turns there are small-to-medium-sized ruts and maybe i'm just worrying too much, but i feel like the quad will tip over. i'll determine my tire situation after i try out the quad now that it has the pipe, nerf bars, and the jet kit. Thanks

Old 07-09-2002, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer

I believe they were the factory a-arms. I'm not totally sure.

But either way,it still costs alot. And is NOT covered by warranty.

The 250EX is a VERY reliable quad. You wont have to go replacing any parts if the proper maintenance and tlc is given to it.

Old 07-10-2002, 03:48 AM
Range Rover

going to 20 inch tires with a flat thread pattern like the razors or holeshots help a lot! the reason you have to shift quicker is because you are accelerating faster. plus it handles ten times better. not nearly as tippy. I would reccomend the razors in the 4 ply. Ive had my friends holeshots XCT's on my quad and they are a 6 ply in 22". TOO HEAVY. weigh the little quad down too much and it takes a lot of power away.(which it kinda lacks to begin with). go to a 20 inch tire, get an aftermarket ehaust(try and get a full and not just a slip on), and the K&N kit with air filter and you will have a totally different machine. I have the WB e-series slip on and it improved power big time. But I would think a header would help even more.
about tires: lower profile means quicker and lower center of gravity so you handle a better and not as tippy. Larger means faster top end but high off the ground and tippier. hope I helped some. later

Old 07-10-2002, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we use the xct 22 6 ply. maybe a little heavy but i think they are awesome. way better than the stockers. great little quad holds its own on the trails and flies in snow.

Old 07-10-2002, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

You could always get some lightweight 22's or even some 21's..just dont go to wide!

Old 07-10-2002, 02:25 PM
Trailblazer

trx250exer,
i will think about getting the razrs. i dont have the money for tires (by the way how much are the tires)of any kind right now.do you use the stock rims or aftermarket ones? i really dont want to change rims unless i really have to. i think i might need better tires because in less than a month or so i probaly be making a road trip down to West VA (th place is hatfield-mccoy, aka Trails Heaven)has anybody ever been there? what's the terrain like?

Old 07-10-2002, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use your stock rims.

Old 07-10-2002, 04:04 PM
Range Rover

you have 9inch rims. so what ever tires you get make sure the last number is 9. ex: 20X11X9. or 22X10X9. etc. the first number is the height. the second is the width. the last is the rim size. if you have a bead breaker and a lot of patience you can change them yourself. put it can be a pain in the ****. I did mine myself and afterwards I wished I would of just takin them in to a shop.

Old 07-10-2002, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

i believe the 250ex have aluminum rims so keep them.....yeah taking tires off and putting them on is a huge at least hour long pain in the ars![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Questions about '02 250EX