Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Questions about '02 250EX

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my daughter races the ex at the sand drags and she has to start out in second gear and she ends up shifting to fifth about twenty feet before the finish. if i had to do it again i would have stuck with the 22's in back. but it does lower the quad quite a bit , which helps when you are climbing bigger hills, the 250 sits a bit high for my taste.

Old 07-10-2002, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer

yeah, 1st gear is quite short. i dunno about other riders, but i'd be willing to sacrifice a small amount of acceleration to widen the ratio of 1st gear. it is basically useless and by the time you hit the throttle you hit the rev limiter. Honda either needs to extend the revs or an aftermarket company needs to create a rev box (i'm not sure if that's the correct name for it, but a part that allows the machine to rev higher than stock).

Old 07-11-2002, 03:02 AM
Range Rover

amen to that. I think Im gonna start emailing or calling some companies to try and get them to make a rev box. everyone on my forums seem to want one too. so I know they would sell. Cuz I really really need and want one!! I hate hitting my rev limiter half throttle in 5th gear.

Old 07-11-2002, 12:28 PM
Trailblazer

go ahead man. i think there is definitely a lack of aftermarket parts for this particular EX, despite the gobs of parts you can find for both the 300 and 400 models.other than a few pipes, a couple of silencers(DG, Big-Gun, WB, Pro Circuit,Graydon Proline and HMF is currently developing one), a set of nerf bars (DG is the only company i know that makes one for the EX), DG skidplates, and a few other things, there really is nothing for us 250ex riders/owners.however, i must give credibility to DG Performance for their effort i've noticed that most of the 250ex riders have at least 1 aftermarket part (pipe and a rejet). i think the 2003 model is only the EX's 3rd year in production, and so maybe thats why there is a lack of aftermarket parts.250exer, i'm not sure if the companies will consider the rev box because the 250ex wasnt really designed for speed and so their response might be "you want higher revs and more speed? tough s***, pal." or some companies who are always looking out for the interest of the buyer might seriously consider it if they get a number of suggestions regarding a rev box. there needs to be demand for them to supply it.

Old 07-11-2002, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

IF 250ex were chain drive you could actually change the gearing .Does anyone know if rev boxs make it dangerous as the engines revs higher...the good thing about a 2 stroke is they never sem to stop revving!

Old 07-11-2002, 04:50 PM
Range Rover

i think there would be a demand for them. especially since Powroll have made a big bore kit for a 250ex. And rumors of other companies designing one too. who ever buys one of those is definately gonna want a rev box. like I said there are plenty of people on the net that already say they want one for it. the companies just dont realize that there is a demand for aftermarket parts for a 250ex. I think all the 250ex owners need to talk to these companies and let them know that there is a demand!!! I really dont think letting the engine rev another 1000 or 2000 rpm's is gonna kill it. And if it does!! I'll be buying that big bore kit definately.

Old 07-11-2002, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

I had no idea Powroll made a big bore kit for the EX. i thought i had heard about a big bore kit for it, just didnt know it was by the folks at Powroll. how many cc's is it bored out to? oh yeah, one more thing: do you think with my current mods that i could beat a bone-stock 300ex?

Old 07-11-2002, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer

Graydon,DG,and pro-ciruit already have pipes for the 250EX. Can't bore it over 2 much,its air-cooled. No the 300EX would still out accelerate you,but the top speeds would be VERY close.

Old 07-11-2002, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

Kind of like the 400, with them both being air cooled. just messing with you last1left. you can still bore it out but if you really want more power you're going to have to get a different quad. the 250 wasn't made to compete with anything, it was designed to be easy to ride, enough power to have fun on, have a sporty look like it bigger brothers, and be reliable. I have a blast riding my wifes, its so light that when you jump you can correct it easy. And even when it was rolled down the hill the only thing that got moved was a bark buster, which didn't even get bent. I feel that honda did a close to perfect job whith this quad, now if the aftermarket will just step up with my cdi box then I'll be happy again.

Old 07-12-2002, 10:56 AM
Trailblazer

i personally would never bore out my EX. as said before, it's not meant for speed. i wouldnt want to go through with all the stuff needed to be done before it's bored out. i could understand a racer would want to do that, but you'd be hitting the ol' rev limiter real quick.i'm no racer (at least not yet), so i'll stick to the stock . speaking of the stock bore(it is 229cc), does anyone think Honda should bore it out closer to the number they advertise it for (after all, it is a 250ex, not a 230EX). i mean, 20 or so cc's isn't that big of a difference but Honda could at least make 245cc or some like that

Quick Reply: Questions about '02 250EX