Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Smaller sprocket equals more power?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you say it tows better, tell us how. is it quicker off the line or when you're at speed and need to pass someone

Old 07-07-2002, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

More lbs. (weight) Ask GM, they too will confirm.
By the tires spinning more times per revalutions, it can tow more weight. Look at the old trucks, most have a 3:23, 3:42 OR even taler rear end gear. Most could tow about 3,000-5,000lbs. Now, notice, the new trucks towing up to 10,000-18,000lbs. My Suburban could tow with its old rear end 3:73, 10,000lbs. Now with the taller gear (I assume the taller gear takes more time to leave the line) 3:42 it has, I assume, the lbs is a lot less.

Ron

Old 07-07-2002, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

bum youve stumped me. i wish i could answer your question but im not to knowledgaable in that dept. sorry

Old 07-07-2002, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

GEEZ DESERT BUM!!! WE FINALLY HAVE IT ALL EXPLAINED AND YOU JUST HAVE TO ASK MORE QUESTIONS... WHAT KIND OF FORUM DOES THIS LOOK LIKE!!!! Hehehehe Just Kidding!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I'm gonna try to explain it the way I'm thinking it and I hope it doesn't end up sounding wrong when typed out...

When it's geared lower, you get more power off the low end... that doesn't mean you get more power from the engine. It basically means the peek power comes in earlier. Kind of like taking your power curve (HP::MPH) and making it narrower... you'll have the same power curve, with the same peek power and RPM's but a lower top speed. So if you were in 1st gear and your peak power came in at about 3/4 throttle, you gear it lower and your peak power comes in at 1/4 throttle. So when you're towing, instead of letting off the clutch and feeling it bog down and struggle, the peak power comes in earlier and it makes it pull stronger when you let off the clutch.

I hope that sounds right to yall. I kind of have trouble explaining things. It always seems to come out differently when I type it out.

Old 07-07-2002, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

CURVE BALL~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, I was right in my post. So a smaller sprocket would give me more off the line, since it would turn the tires quicker? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Ron

Old 07-07-2002, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

yes, but it still has nothing to do with power.

If you stuck a 8 toothed front sprocket on a banshee, and left the rear stock, your top speed would be about 40 mph, but you would get from 0-40 mph very quick.

If you stuck a 15 toothed front sprocket on a banshee, and left the rear stock, your top speed would be about 85 mph, and it would take a while to get to 40 mph, and it would take even longer to get to 85mph.

Its all in the gearing, not related to engine at all (unless you gear it to steep and your engine cant turn the wheel)

Old 07-07-2002, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

When you say smaller sprocket, you need to be specific about which sprocket you are talkin about.

Like I said, smaller front = more acceleration, smaller rear sprocket = less acceleration.

I know of a really good way to describe it but without drawing it out, it would be impossible for me to explain... but I'll try this.

If you make a mark on the front sprocket and one on the rear sprocket, and than role the quad forward so that the mark on the front moves around 3 inches, the mark on the rear sprocket will also move around 3 inches. So obviously if the rear sprocket is smaller, it will obviously turn faster and if the rear sprocket is bigger, it will turn slower. But say you make a mark on top of the rear sprocket and a mark on top of the tire that is at the same point, those marks will always be facing the same way (if you turn it so that the mark on the sprocket is facing down, the mark on the tire will face down also). So in other words, it would take the same amount of time for the tires to make a 180 degree rotation no matter what the size, so a bigger tire will go faster at top end, but it takes longer to get it up to that speed. The bigger tire will cover more ground turning at the same speed. The front sprocket is the same way as the tire.

That was probably VERY CONFUSING, but I hope it makes a little sence.

Sorry, but this is to much thinkin for a 17 year old kid like me when I'm not in school yet. LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-08-2002, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry, its the rear sprocket, AND GET BACK IN SCHOOL! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 07-08-2002, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

Hell with everyone fumbuling this one I want a chance to drop the ball also.

Your talking about two different things one is engine power that will be constant. The next is gear ratios. Gear ratios will be final drive ratios. By that I mean at the tire. As stated earlier the small on in the rear will accelerate faster but have a slower top speed. It is easier for the motor to spin the tires faster, which will give you the feeling of more power. Like on the bike, high gear hard to turn but faster topend, lower gear easiy to turn better acceleration. You can try this yourself for about 40 bucks in rear sprockets on you quad.

As for the towing. My 1971 F-250 with a dana 60 rearend and 3.83 gears, due to the mass amount of torque my motor makes I can pull whatever I want I turn 3,300 RPM @ 65MPH. This is due to the motor making torque at a lower RPM. If I went to 4.11 I could tow more but the RPM would increse to an unacceptable level somewhere around 3,800RPM. If I went to a 3.10 Which they don't make, I would be turning over at about 1,600 RPM @ 65 MPH but I don't make much power there so towing would be harder.

Hope that helps.

Smitty

Old 07-08-2002, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

If there was a light bulb icon/emotion thing on here, this would be the perfect time to use it. I think I just figured something new out!!!

WE ALL HAVE BEEN SAYING THE SAME THING AND PRETTY MUCH DEBATING IN AGREEMENT!!!!!!!!!!! LOL... But atleast we found out 18 different ways to say the same thing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].

Quick Reply: Smaller sprocket equals more power?