Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Am I the only one?(LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only one in the world that is having problems with a 250R? Or did I just get one of the bad ones? I bought it from a "friend" of mine back in October. I took it to the track one night for practice(4th or 5th ride in my posession) and the chain broke, sending a link right through my left crankcase. Well, I finally got around to putting it all back together(Ruby powerdercoat frame, some minor motor work, etc) around March of this year. It was treated to all new lower end bearings, new gaskets, seals, and new bolts everywhere. I rode it around for a couple days, and made sure everything was okay. Changed the oil twice a week for 2 weeks, and put new coolant in once a week. I gave the motor plenty of time to settle into its new "surroundings" before I went WOT.

Well, after about 4 weeks of playing around in the yard, putting on the backroads, and roosting ditches, I took on a drag race offer. YoDaddy's Cannibal, my 250R, and a ragged 85 ATC250R. Sad but true, the MX 250 came out on bottom. While doing so, I also managed to blow the coil, and headgasket. After doing a thorough investigation, and going through 3 headgaskets, and many curse words, I finally got it to run strong again. I enjoyed riding 500+ yard wheelies on pavemment with my worn out tamers, and drag racing all the ute's in the neighborhood. Then it all came crashing to a halt again.

Round 4 of the North Texas Night Series, Weatherford Tx. Gated for the 2nd practice, my R sputters horribly off the line. Due to the change of temperature, I thought it might be a little off in jetting. I slapped the airbox lid on, and gave it a couple runs down the pit road. It seemed to have helped some, so I thought "Problem solved!" 1st moto, gates dropped, R died. Oops! Cranked it back up and got last into the corner. I managed to get into 9th(out of 14) and catch 8th, but wasnt able to pass. I pulled off, changed the plug, and cranked it back up again with no lid. Ran great. It never occurred to me that the plug might be fouled, because I put a new one in right before I left. 2nd moto. I had high hopes for this one. We were in staging, pulling into the gates.. I reach up for the clutch lever, and the cable snapped! I jabbed it into 1st gear, and went back to the pits. When I loaded it into the van, I noticed there was some transmission fluid on the floor. I just closed the doors and shook my head, telling myself it wasn't really there.

The next day, when I opened the doors to the van, it wasnt there! I thought.. YES! Then I unloaded it, and watched black fluid pour down my swingarm. D@MN!!! As it turns out, one of the front bolt on motor mounts had broken, and a bolt from the other had rattled out, leaving the engine just enough "twist" so that under torque, the chain would pull the motor back, and make contact with the swingarm. It put a couple small cracks in the crankcase. So small, that I had them welded, and then went over with JB Weld and a clearcoat sealer. Problem solved?

NOPE. I finally pulled everything together today, and took it for a short spin. I never got it out of my yard, or 2nd gear. I pulled back into the shop, and low-and-behold, what do I find? Oil on the ground. Once I got off work, I came home and took the motor out of the frame one more time, just to find that the weld had been destroyed, and that there is now a hole bout the size of a quarter right behind 2nd gear mainshaft.

Is anyone else having these kinds of problems? The headgasket/coil wasn't anything, I brushed them off as "bugs" that had to be worked out. But going through 2 crankcases in less than 3 solid hours of riding just isnt right. Needless to say, when I get it repaired, it will no longer be under my name. Which leads me to another question. Anyone ever sold a quad on eBay? Looks like a big bore 4 stroke is the way of the future.. At least for me..

Old 07-12-2002, 01:06 AM
Trailblazer

You have got to be doing SOMETHING wrong for it to break over and over again! It dont make any sense any other way. I don't think anybody will want it now,after reading this post. If you would have told me it was 4 sale I would have bought it. But not now!!! lol.

This makes me feel very afraid,of buying a 250R.

Old 07-12-2002, 01:11 AM
Trailblazer

What year is it?

Old 07-12-2002, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider

Last1Left, CLICK HERE

I wouldn't be afraid of buying a 250R. I've seen many people that have raced MX on their R's for years, and never had any problems. As a matter of a fact, a friend of mine has raced his for 3 straight years, and the only thing that's went wrong is that the stator went out this year. Not bad for an antique.

Old 07-12-2002, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know what to tell you but I have had mine for 2 years now and I haven't even tore the top end down once. The only problem I've had was the jetting being off when the weather changes. When I got the bike it was a rag but little by little I've built it up to an extremely reliable ride.

Now, if I was in your shoes I will keep my eyes open for a brand new crate 250r engine to appear on ebay, the average price is $1100-$1500 and pick one up. Then turn around and sell yours on ebay for about 600-800. This is the simplest and cheapest solution. Actually next time I see one on there I'm just going to buy it as a spare.

Old 07-12-2002, 01:28 AM
Trailblazer

On cycle trader they have a 250R engine for sale for 1600.

Old 07-12-2002, 01:41 AM
Trailblazer

I think you should sue clarksville performance. It seems all your problems come from the motor. I think you're asking way way too much though. It won't go quick with that price. Its about 1500 bux outta my range. but if I did have the money....unless it had a new motor I wouldn't buy it!! It is worth much more than 4500,but its not really with all the problems.

Anyway,I found a TOTALLy stock 250R for 3000.

Old 07-12-2002, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider

I used to own a banshee and every time i went riding i took half my garage with me to work on it. I bought my 250r last year and have not had any problems with it. In fact, I quit bringing my tools all together when i go riding (KNOCK ON WOOD).MY R has been bullit proof so far.

Old 07-12-2002, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

wow what luck a new crate engine just came on sale on ebay, I would e-mail the guy and try to make him an offer.

250r crate engine

You better hurry or I will get it.

Old 07-12-2002, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

I really dont think its my motor. There is no reason I should be mad at Clarksville Performance. All they did was port the motor, and put it back together wrong. It seems it ran better with the counter balancer JB Welded, bolts loose and some nuts missing!

Last1Left, when I sell it, it will be fixed. I'm not just passing my problem on to the next guy. I will try my hardest to please whoever buys it, and will probably fix it if it breaks. I got shafted the same way, so I know how it feels.

trx250Rob, go for it. I dont want a 250R motor. Now if it was a 2000 400EX.. We might talk [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Am I the only one?(LONG)