Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

i want your opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 07:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im new by the way...names eric. anyways im lookin to get a new quad soon. i'd like a honda 400ex but for my ridin purposes id rather have a automatic clutch than a manual. the only quad ive ever owned is a bayou 300 and i want somethin new now. id like to get at least a 300 but the 300ex has a manual clutch too so im lookin at the 250ex...i dont know hardly anything about quads so pay my stupidity no attention...anyways are they quick? anybody know the top speed of the 250ex? i need something to ride tho cuz 2 of my friends just got new ones a foreman s and a polaris...trail boss 330 i think...i dont want a automatic thats for sure....

Old 08-16-2002, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

The 400ex are a good choice. Shop around the prices have been dropping. Always ride before you buy, don't be in a hurry and try out as many quads as possible before you sign on the line. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-16-2002, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

Just spend some time behind a clutch lever. You'll grow into it. I'd say go with the 400EX

Old 08-16-2002, 09:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

ive never even drove a atv with a manual clutch which is the main reason im kinda hessitant to go and buy one as my first new atv you know...i just dont wanna get something that'll take me awhile to learn to ride...but i guess there's no difference in learning now or later. im definately gonna think about it a lot more before i make a final decision on what i get, only thing is i dont wanna go to the dealer and get on the 400ex and look stupid tryin it out cuz i dont know exactly how to use a manual clutch...this may be a stupid question but does it choke down like a car with a manual transmission? i assume it does but like i said i dont know much about atv's. it cant be that hard tho im sure i can figure it out...but, hey if i do go ahead and get the 400ex it'll put me that much closer to bein able to ride a raptor without killin myself...which might be the quad i get after i get the hang of the 400ex

Old 08-16-2002, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Eric,what part of SC are you from.Where do ya'll ride.

If you are not muddin and stuff like that,the 400ex will not let you down.I ride an auto machine,but clutching will be second nature once you learn.(kinda of like learning to balance a bicycle)

98 Sport 400L
Rcr pipe
Hpd clutch
Hsp 42mm flatside
V force delta reed cage
Wiseco piston

Old 08-16-2002, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

hey eric,
i'd go with the 400ex as well. i bought one for my grilfriend. she loves it. she like you didnt know how to use a clutch either. it took a bit of time on my part teaching her but now she can ride with me! check with your local deal for classes. i know honda has them avalible. but like every else has said, take your time and get what you feel most comfertable on!

Old 08-16-2002, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

i dont think u are ready for a 400 cc quad yet,
i was going to suggest the z400 because it has reverse.(some people dont like reverse)
couple questions-how old are u/how mutch do u weigh/what is your budget/..
based on what you have told us i think a 300 ex is a good starter.
(look honda fans,i recommended a honda,and i own a z400)(olive branch extending outward)
(release the doves)

Old 08-16-2002, 11:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

well im 18 and weigh about a buck forty...i was actually just talkin to a friend and then started thinking the same thing about the 300ex cuz i do kinda want reverse for how'll i'll be riding it...i aint really tryin to race and i might need to back up on the trails i go on, but i do want it to be quick u know. as far as my budget im taking out a loan prolly gonna be about 8-9 thousand and use it for the quad and to bag my truck...dont worry i got another one to haul the quad. oh and i live in chester, sc...its about a hour south of charlotte, nc. when me and my friends wanna ride we go to TNT motorsports park... as far as anywhere else we ride around on his and my peoples land and stuff...and thanks for the opinions, suggestions, and help. i think im almost set on the 300ex im gonna go with a friend tommorrow to the dealer and look at a few.

Old 08-19-2002, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Eric if you dont wanna look stupid when you go ride one go to your friends house that has a manual clutch and ride it. It took me about an hour or so to learn its not to hard. But if you really wanna learn to ride the clutch it will take longer, I have been ridding the manual clutch for probally 6 years now, its not to bad, i love manual b/c its easier to wheelie and what not. When i 1st started ridding my 250x my dad made me write a paper before i could ride it. it was weird but helped.

Old 08-19-2002, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

If you want a 300 with automatic clutch check out the Kawasaki Lakota Sport.

Quick Reply: i want your opinions