Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

do you feel the need to ride armed? be honest [no locations]

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to go re-arm. Shotguns and .22 for teaching the Kids about gun safety are what I have now. Nothing says I love you, like a Desert Eagle 50 cal. LOL

I don't ride with a handgun as most of the area's are quite open with lots of people around.

Here in Ca, if a group of people wanted to steal my bike or I had to start shooting. I would give them my bike. The police report is alot less on theft than homicide. I'm insured anyway. The time and money spent on lawyers and jail time would be more than on the way home picking up an new Cannondale.

Now if someone came into my home, well thet'd be leaving in a bag.

Smitty

Old 09-13-2002, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

The local authorities are constantly on the lookout and they also use helicopters daily. I don't consider the forest dangerous for me or my boys but I will always carry a pistol when riding in the woods unless I'm at a regular riding area like Chadwick ORV. And my oldest son has been deer hunting since he was 7 and my youngest son will start hunting next year when he turns 7. I also carry the pistol for the rattlesnakes and copperheads that are plentyful in my area. And guns themselves harm no one it's the people shooting them that cause the problems. I live 35 miles from the nearest large town and I have raised both of my sons around both pistols and rifles. Do I need to be armed? No probably not but I enjoy guns and shooting just as much as I do riding atv's. The majority of folks in my rural area are either gun collectors or enjoy shooting and hunting. We have all raised our kids around guns and had them shooting clays and plinking targets as soon as they were old enough to hold the weapon. They respect guns and know exactly what they are capable of more so than most adults. I also tend to keep a Remington Super Magnum shotgun on my gun rack on our utilty quads during the fall turkey season just in case I decide to get off the quad and go hunting in an area I'm riding through. OH and I'm also an ex United States Army Ranger which allowed me the opportunity to shoot lots of weapons that I normally wouldn't have been able to in the civilian world.

Old 09-13-2002, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raptorfm660r-
Where is it you ride that a gun is an absolute necessity? Is it for protection from people or animals? It is your right to carry a firearm if that is what you prefer,but let me know where this riding area is,so I can be sure to never go there,I'll never ride if it means carrying a gun just to make it out alive. Don't take this wrong,I'm not ragging on you,or your right to do your own thing,just seems insane to me if we have to carry pistols to enjoy a trail ride. Camping way out in the middle of nowhere,possible large animal area,yes,I would consider it to feel safer. But making a gun part of my safety equipment just for a trail ride is not my way. If there is no other way for you,that is what you need to do,and if it helps,I'm sorry your area is like that.
Ride safe,and if you see a white 95 Wolverine coming at you,please don't shoot !!!

Old 09-13-2002, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are not willing to pull the trigger and kill when your life is being threatened, don't carry a gun for protection. Think hard about it.

Concealed weapons permit and carrier. Hammerless 357 is the way to go. Small, easy to conceal, and capable of inflicting serious damage. When I carry it is to keep my family from harms way. I do not carry out of frear for where I ride. There can be a piece of breathing feces anywhere with the intend to hurt someone. Not me and not my family.

Remember; know what you are aiming at, know whats behind your target, be a good shot, and shoot a large caliber gun.

Old 09-13-2002, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

Wow, great topic.

I have never had a situation in the mountains or on the trails where I did'nt feel safe. However, Times are a changin.... Hell, I'll pack some heat just to **** off some bleeding heart tree huggin liberal who is more interested in protecting the rights of terrorist than to preserve my right to bear arms

Old 09-13-2002, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

WOW!!! Uhmmmm......why don't you all move to Canada and check your guns at the border. This is insane!!! I don't know how you people can live like that, carrying guns with you all the time, just to go shopping or for a quick trail ride. I feel sorry for you, Canada is such a nice country, move over here. This is one reason why I don't want to even go into the states, nevermind live there!

Old 09-13-2002, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

Spectra...good points

My sister was murdered by coward out on parole... I know how ruthless scum can be. I have no hesitations in using a weapon if necessary.
Overall I feel very safe. In certain situations (very few of those) I'll bring added security.

Old 09-13-2002, 12:06 PM
Trailblazer

bbertram,

That's how we keep the rabble out. If I ever want to pay $12K for a quad, $2.50 for a gallon of gas, and have my road signs in two languages, I'll move to Canada.

Old 09-13-2002, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

As a parent, I am responsible (to God!!) for my kids safety (or any other innocent person for that matter). That takes precedence over everything and anything else. A gun is like any other piece of survival equipment. You carry it, but you hope you will never need it. But if you need it and you don't have it, you are dead. To do anything else would be foolish!!

I prefer S&W's line of Scandium/Titanium revolvers, in .357. The weights are from 12 to 18.5 oz (!), with 2 to 3" (kit gun and mountain light) barrels. These are so light and compact, you forget you are carrying them. The recoil is severe, but like I said, you hope you never need it.

Old 09-13-2002, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

<< bbertram,

That's how we keep the rabble out. If I ever want to pay $12K for a quad, $2.50 for a gallon of gas, and have my road signs in two languages, I'll move to Canada.
>>

Come on down, we got just the spot for you. Hehe, our quads cost alot more up here, its just the difference in the dollar but the Rincon costs about $14000 without accessories but with tax. Our gas would be $3.60 per gallon (in american terms) and if you move to Quebec then you can have your road signs in two languages.

So when can I expect you?

Quick Reply: do you feel the need to ride armed? be honest [no locations]