Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

what kind of front tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 07:53 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i need new front tires for my quad. its an 87 honda 250 utility. what kind of tire do you guys recommend? also, would it be a good idea to get an inch taller than stock? stock size is 21x7x10, and i want more ground clearance, so should i get 22x7x10? thanks for the help.

Old 10-05-2002, 10:31 PM
The Facility

I suggest this tire to all owners of that model and the ones that have used it love it.

The 22x7-10 Bandit

I know it's taller than stock, but those quads had a "unique" front suspension system that leaves alot to be desired compared with dual A-arm quads.
The taller height makes for a smoother ride, and more ground clearance.

It's not really that heavy for an agressive tire and the tread design offers premium traction.

You could also go with the 23x7-10 version of this tire but will slightly rub the frame when turned sharply when riding in deep thick mud.

Old 10-06-2002, 12:04 AM
Range Rover

thanks for the help KNOWSALOT. yes the suspension on this type of fourwheeler is "unique". lol. i have about 2 inches of travel, haha. oh well, my fourwheeler is reliable, and that is the most important thing. it gets me where i'm going and back. where can i get this tire at the lowest price? thanks.

Old 10-06-2002, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Knowsalot, I thought you'd left for good?
Have a change of heart?
Good to see you back! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2002, 12:46 AM
The Facility

2fun,
Yep. Just couldn't go...LOL

DirtDevil,
Check with your local dealer on the tires first. Sometimes, you might be surprised and get a better deal from them than a mailorder house.

Then check with rockymountainatv.com

Old 10-06-2002, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

<< 2fun,
Yep. Just couldn't go...LOL
>>

Good for you!
Glad you decided to stay![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2002, 01:04 AM
Range Rover

KNOWSALOT- do you know any specs about my type of quad? such as horsepower or anything like that.

people i ride with joke with me about my fourwheeler, but these honda 250's are tough. my dad bought one brand new in 1985, and sold it in the early 90's to his friend's mother, and she still rides it on her farm. one of my dads friends bought one in 85 also, and he still rides it after all he's put it through.

i would say mine is in pretty good condition, since it doesnt smoke (from burning oil). but it does smoke when i first start it, it doesnt smell like oil burning though. what would cause it to smoke like that?

Old 10-06-2002, 03:34 AM
The Facility

That engine IS tough. In fact, the legendary TRX300 models took their engine from the 250 model. They even have the same cylinder bore. The only difference is that the 300 has a bit longer stroke. That's hwat gives it a slight power increase over the 250 models.

The TRX250 and 250ES BigRed engines both put out close to 14HP depending on who done the testing back in the day.

Don't pay any attention to guys that blast about what you ride. About the only drawback to your model is the single trailing arm type front suspension. It does it's job well enough for work situations, but doesn't have good handling when compared to newer chassis designs. It's not a racing quad anyway, so ignore those guys.

Your smoking problem could be as simple as needing a valve adjustment, but could be a sign of worn valve stem seals and/or piston rings.

Be sure to eliminate the possibility that it is carburetor related before attacking the engine. [Dirty airfilters and stuck chokes can cause your symptoms]

Old 10-06-2002, 12:05 PM
Range Rover

KNOWSALOT- thanks for all the help, i'm glad you decided to come back. do you know of any common problems for my old honda? so far i havent had any trouble out of it besides the front brakes. they dont grab until i pump the lever a couple of times. me and one of my riding buddies blead the lines, but it didnt help. how can i fix this?

do you know where i can get a new starter for cheap? i had a mechanic look at my starter b/c it wasnt turning the engine over, it was just making a buzzzzzz noise. he said that it is the wrong starter for my engine. apparently the 87 has a different starter than the 85 and 86 version, and the previous owner put the wrong starter on when he replaced it. it gets pretty old having to kick start it everytime i get on it, lol. thanks.

Old 10-06-2002, 01:59 PM
The Facility

About the only weaknesses on that model are kingpin bushings that seem to wear quickly when ridden hard. They are also expensive to replace if the pin itself wears out. It costs a little over $100.00 to replace both pins and all 4 bushings. Other than that, it's a solid ride.

Maintenance wise on the front end, keep the alamites on the front trailing arms and kingpins greased well, and they will last longer.

There are two different starters, but not neccessarily on just one model year. Honda used both starters for all 3 years. One was a ND and the other was a Mitsuba. They are similar and will bolt onto the engine, but will require the starter reduction gears for that particular starter for it to work properly. A starter rewduction gear set will cost about $50.00. You can get rebuilt starters from your dealer for about $225, but a brand new one is only $25 more.

Quick Reply: what kind of front tires?