Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rincon got slammed by DW Mag shootout!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rincon got slammed by DW Mag shootout!

I'm just sayin that in this case, asphalt would be a great equalizer. From there, one would need to experiment with shift points for the best results with a manual shift capable machine.

I'm not questioning the end results, only the methods used to measure. Like I said, the results may be the same or even more lop sided, but they would be more exact...

Old 10-25-2002, 02:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey great letter.i sold my scrambler 500 and got honda 650 rincon it's bad to the bone. got 1500 miles on it in less then 2 months.only thing i want to change is the tires.all stocks tires suck even when you buy a car.

Old 10-25-2002, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

HI GUY'S:
I agree with "DieselPro" ...with regards to the Sand-drag thing. I would be much more interested in the results on asphalt vs sand or dirt. Owning a Kawi 650 ...I can tell you first hand that hook-up is not good at all with the stock dunlops. I have drag raced almost everything in my area ...and to do really well I have to engage 4x4. The last time I dragged raced someone it was a buddy of mine with a Grizz600. The first time was 2wd...after the race we went back to where we started and I had left 2 spin marks that lasted a good 20ft while he had none. My tires are really suffering because of this and are being replaced as soon as they get in. Drag racing is alot of fun on the big-bores because they are pretty damn fast now-days and it's an aspect of the sport that never existed a few years ago. I really enjoy drag racing and it seems alot of people want to try my quad to see how they do. I will drag anything in sight win or lose...it's still fun. Incidently the only thing that i've run across thats faster is a Banshee, Raptor and Z400. I did lose to a kid on a POL700 ONCE!...again the hook-up was a problem with mine in 2wd...he never spun at all while i sat there spinning my guts out and had to play catch-up...it ended with him about a half quad length on me. In 4x4 however I beat him everytime as my spinning off the line is reduced greatly. My machine is faster without question but if you can't get all that power to the ground in an effective manner...your going to lose. I have never seen a Raptor lose to a Banshee in the same area...despite a Banshee being a faster bike off the line...again the problem with hook-up. Asphalt is the answer.

ROB

Old 10-26-2002, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

3TV, are you going to try the holeshot ATR's for the prairie?

I would love to know how they are ,I am thinking of putting them on my Rincon when it comes in because my dealer is going to give me some trade value for the stock ones when new!

Are they heavier?

How ground clearance would be lost with them as they look like a lower profile?

Thanks

Old 10-26-2002, 01:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't put much faith into Dirtwheels test. They give you some information to go on, but their results aren't always reflected by their tests. Too many "too close to calls" with them. I seriously doubt the Rincon is near as bad as they try to sound like. Underpowered doesn't fit any 650 quad regardless of what it is. This thing will have power no doubt. Once again though, their shootout seems to be centered around speed, acceleration, and sport handling characteristics. Almost every shootout has always been won by the faster quad. Thats just they way they lean.

And also, I have a feeling that each of these quads can beat an actual 52 mph on top end. That just a crock of horse $hit. There is no way in hell you can tell me that the Rincon won't beat 50. Thats absurd. This is the same publisher that once claimed 68mph for a Scrambler 500. Not too creditable in my opinion. All I can guess is that a 1/4 mile isn't enough room for these things to get up to speed. We've all seen these speedometers read a lot more than they did.

Old 10-26-2002, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks ,let me know how they are when you get them out on trails!

Old 10-26-2002, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

well nothing new hell from what i been seeing and reading hell i think my little old 5oo ho will give the big bores a better run then the rincon man honda has some work ahead of them to catch up they may have done it in the suspention but thats it and even then polaris and yamaha have been doing this for some time thanks polaris for setting the standard i feel that polaris has one of the better atvs out there might not be the fastest but what it does it does well and is made well i laughted when they said they toar the skid plates off in one day of riding on the rincon make it look good but dont make it last [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] 2003 500ho 98 express 300

Old 10-26-2002, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Its just Sooooo easy to spot the rookie ATVers.Just one look at what they post and a ''quick'' glance at how many total posts can tell a reader ALOT!

Bill

Old 10-27-2002, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

ya know, according to DW, in the last year, everything i own that was once highly recommended is now junk.
my subscription is due, and i think i'll do the american thing.....vote with my wallet.

all you guys i buy from start advertising somewhere else!! maybe they'll get the message.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 10-27-2002, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] It interesting how many of the folks posting here in the Honda forum about the shooutout with the Rincon do not own a Honda currently (if ever). So, when reviewing their comments, consider their current rides and background before allowing someone to influence your decisions.
I only wish folks could post about their positive experiences with the current ATV without having to imply that anyone using a different brand is mentally defective . Or in some of the more immature cases, coming right out and saying you're stupid for not selecting what they ride. At the same time, you start to really treasure the folks who follow the rule of posting their experiences without trashing yours, as there as some really wise and experienced riders on these pages.

Quick Reply: Rincon got slammed by DW Mag shootout!