Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Hondamatic transmisson

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 12:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondamatic transmisson

How well does or is this transmission holding hold up? Does it have good low-top end power? What are the advantages and disadvantages of this transmisson? I have made up my mine and I am going to wait for the new Rancher AT 400 to come out (unless someone can change my mind), which uses this transmisson. Also, if anyone has any information as well on the new rancher that would be good too. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks RiDeNrEd03

Old 10-23-2002, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] 2400+ miles of trail-riding and trailer-pulling on mine, with no failures. Good low-end torque, but the thing you notice most is the instant movement and traction it provide. I think the tranny will be the least of your worries. I believe it has been proven to be rock-solid. We also have the current Rancher TRX350 4x4ES, and that is a solid machine. That new 2004 Rancher looks to be a no-brainer. Of course, fans of other brands will bring up the drum brakes, and solid rear axle, but they have never given us any grief, jsut dependable service. We have never had a single brake concern with either the Rubicon or Rancher. When you get a response, consider the source and affiliation of the responder.

Old 10-23-2002, 11:20 PM
The Facility

I've only seen one failure of the Hondamatic transmission in the Rubicon and it was on a "beaten" quad that was submerged in water in for an entire weekend before it was retrieved.

The only downside to the Hondamatic is that IF it does fail.......it's very pricey.

$1100 is the cost of the transmission because the entire thing is a factory sealed, one piece unit that cannot be serviced and no individual replacement parts are available.

Old 10-24-2002, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider

did ya know it was based on a moped tranny or somethin like that? weird.

Old 10-24-2002, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] It was a 650cc Japan-only scooter. There was a belief that this was also the same tranny used in the CB750Auto

Old 10-24-2002, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

The only failures that I have heard of are the ones my two buddies '01 Rubi's had and that was the transmission shift sensor that kept packing it in and leaving them stranded in whatever gear it wanted. The one has been into the shop three times and so far they have changed the sensor twice, coolant temperature switch twice, and the fan once. They all went at the same time and the dealer believes they are related but don't know what the problem is. No one else seems to be able to help and Honda isn't even interested in helping. Really frustrating![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 10-25-2002, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

Keep seeing this pop up....keep having to post this.

Hondamatic
part number: 26000-HN2-010
price: $863.84

If your dealer is charging $1100.....time to shop somewhere else.

Old 10-25-2002, 12:57 AM
The Facility

TEX,

The MSRP for the Hondamatic tranny is just over $1300.00........$1100 is a fair price and the going rate for these trannys.

I have heard of some wholsalers selling them for under a $1000, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just that your average dealer isn't going to sell them that cheap.

$863 is below dealer cost and the only dealers who will get a better price break are ones that do mail order and internet sales......therfore being able to offer such a discount off of MSRP.

Old 10-25-2002, 03:08 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

I just ran heck out of mine yesterday, dont really want to talk about it as I ran out of fuel BEFORE i got to my hunting spot! I did 25 Miles of 55MPH Gravel roads, then another 3 hours of 5MPH rock hounding bending my rims and busting my floorboard only to run dry on fuel at 40 miles! Walked another 12 miles strait up to get a cell signal, waited till midinight for a buddie on a rancher and a gas can! Got home and changed for work at 5am. Not fun, but the Tranny performed flawlessy and the shift pattern in low range is dead perfect. Note that the drum brakes did require one heck of alot of lever pressure (yes im spoiled from the disks on my XR's) to keep the quad from rolling backwards down a steep washout when pulling a friends 2wd plug fouled polaris out- i feel brakes should be lockable by 2 fingers, not two hands

Old 10-25-2002, 05:27 AM
Pro Rider

My Rubi has about 2700 on it and no tranny trouble here, JRM was your tank full before you left because I get 50 miles a tank when I am doing very heavy mudding with 27" tires before I hit reserve.

Quick Reply: Hondamatic transmisson