Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rincon Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rincon Tires

I am getting a rincon for christmas and want to change the tires before it even gets home. I want to put either 26 or 27 in. ITP 589's. My question is can I use the stock wheels. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-05-2002, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rincon Tires

Yes they will fit your stock wheels as long as you get a rim size of 12 inches. For example 27x11x12 the last number is the wheel size and the middle number is the width of the tire and the first number is the tire height.

Old 11-05-2002, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rincon Tires

If you haven't ridden with big aggressive tires yet, try it first. I think a LOT more people are shocked/disappointed in the diminished handling and performance than will admit it!

I LOVE big tires, but if you hit the trails, they will beat you up! That's why I stayed at stock sizes. Personally, if I had it to do over, I'd keep the stock wheels mounted on the stock rims and but a set of tires/wheels.

Old 11-05-2002, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rincon Tires

diesel,

do you think I would be happier with the 26's as i don't want to rob much power. it comes stock with 25 in. thanks for the help.

Old 11-06-2002, 02:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default Rincon Tires

With having a 650 you should not have a problem with pulling the 27" 589's, they might not ride very good but on a IRS machine they should be great compared to a straight axle. I would also get pair of aftermarket rims and keep the stock set, tires abd rims because you might want to feel what Rinnie can ride like sometime and not always feel beat up. Dieselpro I do not understand what you mean by diminished handling, my set on stock rims are 25" 589's and they handle great, only problem is they do not climb as good as the stockers.

Old 11-06-2002, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider
Default Rincon Tires

I've got Titans AND Vamps for my SP, and while they do rob some power, they aren't that bad. What I DO see is guys buying big mudders and then having second thoughts due to diminished ride quality and handling.

That said, I went with Dirt Devils front and Gators rear in stock sizes. Even these affected handling, but I feel they are a good compromise. Again in hindsight, I may have gone to 26's for better clearance and deeper tread, but in reality, the combo I have now works pretty darn well, AND has decent manners.

Now the Vamp EDL's on my SP are a different story.

Just imagine putting 305's in a 10 ply rating on the Escalade...

Old 11-06-2002, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rincon Tires

thanks for the advice. diesel- my escalade has almost 50,000 miles and i have had it about a year and ahalf, so it is almost time for some tires. What do you think the west virginians are gonna think when i roll up in the cadilac with atv's in tow. what kind of aftermarket rims should i get with the 589's if i decide to go that route in order to keep the stockers on the stock wheels.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-07-2002, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default Rincon Tires

I'd like to see an 8" wheel for the rear, but ITP doesn't have them. That leaves Douglas which I have on my SP.

BTW, the Titan 589's are a MUCH better tire with the bead guard, and scalloped lugs.

Old 11-07-2002, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rincon Tires

Replaced our original tires with Mud Runners the original size. Very happy so far. About 1/2 of the people we ride with regret the bigger wheels and tires like DieselPro says, good advice. I think our handling improved a bit and naturally the ride at very slow speeds on hard surface got worse, don't care abbout that.

Old 11-07-2002, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rincon Tires

We used to do a lot of riding in rice fields, this is pure mud and we had quads set up for it. The problem was anywere else the quad beat you to death. Remember larger tires mean moe reciprocating mass. That means slower accel slower decel and higher gearing so the performance of your quad will decrease. Also you raise the Center of Gravity(CG) by several inches this increases roll and hurts performance pluss the stock shocks can not properly control the new unsprung weight and that means again you loose controle. then you have the reduced contact area on hard pack again reducing control, add in higher sterring effort and very bouncy ride and you can see the ability to control your quad is reduced a bunch.

Unless you mud ride 90% + I would recomend going to a stock size tire and finding a tread pattern the works in all situations, I realy like the Spider Trac it rides smooth works great in mud and on hard pack and is lighter than most pure mud tires. The mount a winch so the 1 in 200 rides that you might get stuck you have it.
Remember when you have bigger agressive tires you will wear out your sterring, suspension, CV or U joints, gears in the dif and will work the motor harder this all spells geting left on the trail at some point down the road.

Quick Reply: Rincon Tires