Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon transmission problems

Have a 01 Rub 196miles/36.2hrs bought new. The thing started not shifting, the display starts flashing and it won't let me change modes. When this happens the speedometer won't work reads 0 I can kill it and it might run 5/10 min then does it again.Please help.
Dee
P.S. When the display is flashing and i try to back up it cuts out.

Old 11-08-2002, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I ALSO HAD A 2001 RUBI WITH THE SAME PROBLEM THAT STARTED AT 52 MILES TO APPROX. 120 MILES WITH 3 RETURNS TO THE DEALER WITH A ANGLE BANK SENSOR PROBLEM . I FIXED THAT WITH A 2002 RUBI THAT AS GONE 2500 MILES AND I PUT A WARN SELECT 4X2 THAT IS RECCOMENDED IF YOU WANT THE OPPTION OF 2WHEEL/4 WHEEL AND IT HAS GONE WITH OUT A HICCUP. BEST WHEELER ON THE PLANET. BUT A LOT OF PEOPLE WILL DIFFER. GOOD LUCK ,YOU WONT BE DISSIPONTED WHEN IT IS REPAIRED.

Old 11-09-2002, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

Nothing wrong with transmission. The Rubicon stores "trouble codes" like a car does. If you have the service manual you can retrieve them or your dealer can too. Once you have the code you look up in the manual and it tells you what is wrong. When your speedo is blinking like that it means you are in "default mode". The computer will do that to prevent further damage. Heck if you are too low on oil, it will do that so you dont damage your engine. If your speedo allways reads 0 even if you are moving then theres about a 90% chance your speed sensor is bad. I have seen this a lot.

Old 11-09-2002, 04:02 AM
Pro Rider

I have three buddies whose 2001 rubi's have all done the same thing at the same amount of miles and hours. The dealer changed the angle sensor twice on one and it still acted up. Also when this happened to the one, the fan cut out as the coolant temp switch would burn out and would over heat. It would also put the transmission in whatever gear it felt like and you could not shift it. Someone a couple months back posted a website that has instructions on how to reset your computer so that it functions normal again but I can't remember who. Maybe someone else reading this will remember.

Old 11-09-2002, 08:25 AM
Pro Rider

I thought Hondas werent supposed to have problems?

Old 11-09-2002, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

From my experience, Honda's generally don't have too many problems, but when they do, they are usually expensive and big. I would still rather put $1000 into a Honda with 5000 miles on it then have to put a $100 into a another bike such as a Polaris after every weekend. But anyways this transmission problem tends to be very selective on which machines are affected. About only 1 in every 500 has this problem according to Honda but you would still think that they would do something about it. My buddy has so far had to eat $600 worth of repairs for this problem on his and we still aren't sure if it is fixed or not.

Old 11-10-2002, 09:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Guys, thanks for the info. I took it to the Honda dealership and they think it is the speed sensor from what info. I could give them. I wonder if this will be a repeating problem? Maybe need to consider a trade?
Thanks again,
Dee

Old 11-10-2002, 10:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Deetheman, i think it's TTMO(time to move on).
trade-up a couple years.......and take the blinders off........there is a lot of good ATV product out there.
Polaris Sportsman 600
Bombardier Quest
Suzuki Vinson 500 Auto
Yamaha Grizzly 660
that's just to name a few![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

good LUCK!

-MT

Old 11-10-2002, 02:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

My dads rubicon once had a transmission failure at 700 miles. the dealer ripped it aprt and it was a tiny shaving of metal in the hydralic pump which screwed every thing up (honda doesn't even manufacture the pumps). Anyway honda payed 4 it to get all fixed up. This cost my dad nothing. Even though he was pissed he was glad that honda stood behind thier machines.

Old 11-11-2002, 12:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I know that the speed sensor problem is not a 2001 only problem, I have a 2002 that had the speed sensor go out on it about 3 weeks ago with about 180 miles on the machine. The symptoms were a blinking display where it usually shows what gear you are in and the speedometer stays at zero. When I first noticed the problem it could be reset for about 30 seconds by turning the key off and then restarting it.

I wouldnt bail out on the Rubicon just yet, I feel like it is a very nice ATV and put together better than my 2003 Sportsman 500HO. I have had SP500 since they came out in 96 and they are very nice machines but they are far from perfect and I highly doubt that the 600 or 700's take are any different.
The Rubicon Transmission is a much better performer in the mountains of Utah than the one in the Polaris, The Polaris is smoother riding by a long shot and I will have to add I really dont see why everyone makes such a fuss over the Honda having drum brakes, I ride both of my ATV's and I really havent ever caught myself saying.."OH Man..I wish this thing had disc brakes".

Quick Reply: Rubicon transmission problems