Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

I have 2 R's. 1 has Carb/fuel problem, 1 does not. Help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 03:19 PM
ztn
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have 2 R's. 1 has Carb/fuel problem, 1 does not. Help.

I have 2 86 250R's. Please read THOROUGHLY before answering. Thanks for your help!

The red one has an ESR TRX5 pipe/silencer, K&N filter, closed airbox and stock reeds and reed cage and stock carb.

The blue one has an FMF Fatty/silencer, K&N filter, closed airbox, Carbontech low tension reeds on a stock reed cage and stock carb. I had a V force Delta 2 on it but took it off and put the Carbontechs on the stock cage thinking I'd get better lowend response. I don't think I have.

Looking at what's different, would you think that the different pipe and carbontech reeds are enough to merit richer jetting on the blue one or would you jet them the same? Also, a friend who knows the guy who owned the blue one before me said it had a topend rebuild but I'm not sure personally.

Problem:
The blue one won't idle at all unless the idle/choke **** is turned almost all the way up...meaning that when i put the choke on, it barely lifts a half inch...if that. while the red one is all the way down.

Also, the Red one is MUCH stronger off the bottom and pulls ahead like 2-3 quads lengths before the blue starts to inch back in the higher gears. The blue one NEVER sounds crisp and clean when you wind out 1st gear. It's seems to sputter like a cold engine would if you started it and took off. Strange thing is, as soon as you shift to 2nd the sputter is gone. Wierd?

The airscrews are the same position on both. I can't remember if the pilot jets are the same but they probably are. I think the needles are the same (3rd clip) and The main may be one size richer in the blue one but I'm not sure.

Before you thank the ESR pipe for the better power off the bottom, keep in mind that the red pulled ahead off the bottom w/ the STOCK pipe. So I think there's more to this air/fuel problem
than a pipe.

Old 11-13-2002, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

I've been through this before. Your best bet it to visit the FMF website or call them, I had an FMF (gold series fatty) and while it had some good topend power I could never get it to idle. The bottom line is I called them and sure enough that referred me to there website which recommended I go to a different size pilot jet (I forgot if it was smaller of bigger). I did what they said and it did help a little, it ldled, but still had no lowend power.

I got frustrated with it and got an stock, went back to the factory pilot and have had no problems since. Then about a year ago I got an ESR TRX6 pipe, agian no problems, increadible lowend.

Now keep in mind that there could be other factors at play, air leaks, carb float height.

Let me ask, does it foul plugs when you try to start it or when idling. Also on stock 250r carb when you raise the idle you also richen the idle mixture, bad design, makes adjusting the ilde difficult.

Old 11-13-2002, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, it doesn't foul plugs. I just have to the idle screw up very high to stop it from stalling. If you say you had the same problem w/ an fmf fatty. It could be the pipe. There is noticeable difference in lowend compared to the red one.

I've actually considered a TRX6 for that good torquey lowend surge. How's the midrange w/ that pipe? as good as the fmf or better? Do you use a Vforce reed valve in your set up? would you say a vforce makes a nice complement or compromise for decent topend w/ a trx6 or would it be counterproductive and ruin the low to mid boost from the trx6?

I often wonder about mixing mods that favor topend w/ those that favor lowend not knowing if they work well together and help eachother or cancel eachother out.

Old 11-13-2002, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

PS I am ZTN (from my work computer). I have different names on different computers (cookies).

Old 11-13-2002, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

The midrange on the trx 6 is unreal, that is where the pipe really shines, to give you an idea when I drag on dirt have to start in third gear. I could putt up to the base of a hill adjust power up without having to slip the clutch. The only thing is that it flattens out alittle early on the top compared to the FMF pipe, and the powerband is smoother, it doesn't have that topend hit the fmf has.

I would order a trx5 or 6, they are only $200 and see what happends, ESR has a 30 money back guarantee and they are really good about it. I can't answer your question about the reeds but I would just call ESR and ask, they are really good about answering questions.

Old 11-13-2002, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

thanks. I will. I'm gonna look into the 6. I trail/woods ride so winding the quad out doesn't really do much for me.