Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon Power Increased by Computer

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rubicon Power Increased by Computer

The Engine Control Module (ECM) in a Rubicon controls the ignition and timing, the transmission control motor, and the displays on the instrument cluster. It recieves inputs from the ignition switch (B+ power), gear position switch (range selector), ESP shift switchs, mode select switch (D1, D2, ESP), speed sensor, ignition pulse generator (tach signal), throttle sensor , and angle sensor (swash plate).

The only adjustments that might increase power or speed would have to come from either ignition timing or swash plate angle. Probably very little from either.

The only way you coud reprogram this ECM is if it had a PROM (programable read only memory) but is is most likely only has a ROM (read only memory). PROM and ROM (or chips) contain the programs which control the outputs of the PCM depending on what the inputs are, or what most people refer to these as the "look-up tables".

I am not a Honda engineer but I doubt the Rubicon ECM contains a "PROM".

just my opinion.

Old 05-15-2003, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Tom here are a few points to consider...

1) The original post was for a honda rubicon not a sport quad and it was stock computer not a aftermarket upgrade
2) You yourself said that "Most of the factory ignition setups on quads are not reprogramable. The program is burnt into the chip". Therefor one could not change the ignition
timing could they
3) There are a few other ways to increase power also: reduce rotating mass and reduce friction ... These do not increase power they only increase efficientcy which in turn
allows what power is avaiable to be used instead of lost
4) " it is possible to make it run more efficiently whith the fuel/air that it currently uses by controlling the point of the stroke that it is ignited." Ignition timing changes the
horsepower/torque curves of the engine (tunes the engine for specific uses, EG. low end torque or high rpm power) it does not increase the ultimate power that the engine
can produce. The amount of air and fuel that is ignited will give you power along with things like compression. Why do you think bigger engines produce more power?
Big Bore kits are used for power right?

All the statements that you made seem to say that I was not BS ing. I agree with you that given time and money to do mods anything is possible but not on a stock rubicon!

It's funny that we are arguing about this, even though you really agree with me, you just don't know it yet. And I am not arguing that more air fuel crammed into the same space will increase power. But consider this... If a stock bike comes from the factory tuning 38 rwhp, you reprorgram the ignition or buy an aftermarket module. Now it turns 40-41 hp, I don't give a **** what you say, that is a net increase in POWER.

and about the "efficiency" point you made. Efficiency IS the key to get the most power. By your own statements, you debunk your own argument. Increasing airflow and fuel is MAKING THE ENGINE MORE EFFICIENT! Why the hell do you think we spend som much time getting the jetting just right. Increaseing efficiency IS how you get more power, wether it's more air/fuel into the combustion chamber, ignition curve, lower friction, lower rotating mass (crank, balancer etc). The total potential power a engine can make is directly related to it's efficiency or rather it's lack of efficiency.

Now about the rubicon ignition, like you said, it's probably not reprogrammable, but it is conceivable that it could be. My whole point was that if it was, it would effect changes to the ignition curve. Not fuel delivery, not transmission shift points.

This argument is done, give it a rest, your wrong (partly), and this is not the purpose of this thread and I think RubiconNS would appreciate it if we took it somewhere else so he can get the information that he is looking for without wading through our bickering. I don't really care if I haven't convinced you WeAREsane, I just wanted to make sure everyone else knew the truth of the matter.

Thanks, no hard feelings here
-Tom

Old 05-15-2003, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K what ever

I don't think you understand engines as much as you think you do.