Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Best overall "utility" machine.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 12:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best overall "utility" machine.

I'm prone to Honda, but I would like all opinions on which ATV make/model/size would be the best overall utility machine. What I mean by utility, is an ATV with aftermarket tires, which can pull a 1500 lb trailer full of hunting gear through the worst of the mudholes, up slimy rocky ATV trail off the Alaska highway (like riding in grease) yet not feeling totally worn out after riding for 8 hours straight.
Also, there have been many times where I've had a full size moose on the trailer, where we had to actually put a pole under the tongue of the trailer to lift it onto the hitch! Then slogging through buck brush, huge pot holes, creeks with 12" banks that have to be traversed, and the odd mudhole to winch through.
I've been doing this now for 14 years with my trusty '87 350 Honda Fourtrax, and it's still running as good today as it did when I bought it new, but I believe now with the ATV's on the market, that I'm a little "undergunned" with what's out there now.

Would the newer (larger engined) ATV's be better at getting through the above situations, also giving me a better ride (meaning comfort)? My old Honda has been running the stock tires up until this year as well, which I'm sure would give you and indication that it's done well for what I have. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I would like your opinions on all the makes though, and which ATV would be best for "longevity" as I would plan on keeping it for 10 to 15 years, so holding up over time is a big issue as well.

Thanks in advance...

Powerstroke95

Old 01-06-2003, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

powerstroke,

For max traction witch it looks like you need I would recoment the prairie 650 as it has a diff locker and put a set of 589s on it and your good to go. Just about any atv you buy today your gonna have to put aftermarket tiers on it because stockers SUCK! now the prairie 650 offers a diff lock more then enough power to get the job done but it has a belt drive witch must be matiand or it could leave you stranded. as far as relibality goes the ol 450 forman s with a foot shifter is about the most relibably out there. and if you put a locker on it from highlifter.com you have traction on all 4 wills instead of 3. but any was I'm sure you'll get alot of good advise.

Old 01-06-2003, 01:41 AM
Range Rover

I also would suggest the Kawasaki 650..... it is leaps and bounds better than the Polaris we own (polaris reliablity is not present)

the 650 has TONS of power, the lock on the fly diff lock, SEALED oil bath rear disc brakes-first service reccomended is 7000 miles!!!!(like trains use).....and it is rated quite high for towing (and you know those numbers are modest!!!!!)

Many hours on our 650 since August and it is holding up excellent!

Old 01-06-2003, 04:21 AM
Range Rover

Honda hauls 850lbs

Kawasaki hauls 1250lbs

So the Prairie is the only way to go!

650 Prairie 1400 miles, no problems
400 Prairie 30 hrs no problems
400 Polaris Scrambler

Old 01-06-2003, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

850 lbs is the reccommended towing limit, liability issues. I have pullled way more than 1500 lbs. Buy a Rubicon, they are a great utility machine.

If his 350 Honda is doing the job and he likes Hondas, I see the need for anything bigger. A new Rancher 4X4 might do just fine too. Might look at the 450 too.

Old 01-06-2003, 11:44 AM
K2
Trailblazer

I have a Rubicon and friends have Fourtrax 350, Foreman 450s and also a Prairie 650. If you currently run a 350, you are gonna be very surprised at the difference the larger bikes offer. I rode them all and can simply say the 350 just can't get through some areas where the others go - rather obvious I suppose. After riding the 350 and 450, I went out and bought a 500 and I also love the Ruby transmission vs the foot shifter. Between climbing hills or going into deep mud and water, I would rather just hit the throttle instead of downshifting or getting my feet soaked to shift in the mud. The Prairie is also a very nice bike and is more "sporty" with alot of power and, as mentioned in another post, the diff locker is pretty nice. As everyone says, try to ride them first.

Old 01-06-2003, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

You are definantly going to need something strong and reliable for what you want to do. Stay away from the auto bikes, the Kawi 650 eats belts after about 1500 miles of normal riding, and the others can get wet. Also alot of these bikes have electronics that may fail over the long term, especially in conditions as harsh as yours.

I'd reccomend a Forman 450S. All mechanical, low maintenance (oil changes only usually) and as reliable as your current bike, no electronics to fail...but has more power. Also can handle 27" tires on stock rims and stock suspension. Drum brakes will work fine, limited slip is OK too, when it wears out get a detriot locker from high lifter, this will be a better more reliable set up than any factory locker anyway. I wouldn't worry about the factory tow rating either, obviously your exceeding the rating on your current ride, so the new bike should handle it even easier.

If you really want an auto I'd recommend the Kodiak 450 or Griz 660, as they have the best belt drive set up out there.

Trending Topics

Old 01-06-2003, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

Powerstroke...sounds like you already have a good machine. I don't think half of the riders out there ride in as extreme of conditions as you. My Honest opinion is the P650 is a great machine give it a good look. I love mine. I would also consider the Rubicon. it seems it too would be a great fit for your type of riding. after those two I'd look at the Grizz 660.

Old 01-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've noticed the Yamaha 660 and Polaris 700 haven't been mentioned much, or at least not yet. Is it that they haven't been used much in extreme riding, or don't measure up?

Also, how about Bombadier, Arctic Cat or Suzuki? I understand many of us use our ATV's for different purposes, and I would have to say I personally have to go for the best operation of the ATV over personal comfort, but these days as I get older I keep thinking...why not have it all?

Do the belt drives handle the heavy slogging of steep hills, and constant towing as well as a direct drive type? I would think the homework has been done by all the different companies, or they wouldn't be in business, but there again, different ATV's are used for different purposes as mentioned before.

Has anyone tried the new Honda Rincon 650? Could it be used as a utility type machine, or is it better left alone as a "sport" type unit?

Thanks...

Powerstroke95

Old 01-07-2003, 02:10 PM
Range Rover

The rincon does not have a locking differential and only puts out 16 horsepower to the rear wheels.(I have a link if you doubt this)

Polaris' in general have more than their share of problems..... luckily we just found somebody to sell our 2000 Sportsman 500 to! (NOTHING BUT TROUBLE)

----and for the belt topic..... when pulling and what not, low range should be used...many times belt life is ruined by using high range. A belt tranny should be able to do just as much as the direct systems. Also, belts are cheap and easy to replace.... the hondamatic transmission (or anything similar) is not, if you plan on using your ATV for heavier loads than intended... things can go wrong, and a belt would be a heck of a lot easier to replace than an expensive tranny.

Just my 2c, good luck searching for an ATV
BigTimeArcher

Quick Reply: Best overall "utility" machine.