Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2002 Foreman ES - 4WD Light Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Foreman ES - 4WD Light Flashing

When I reach approx 10mph in 4WD, the 4WD disengages (even though the switch is still set to 4WD) and the 4WD indicator light starts flashing in the sequence: two flashes - pause - two flashes - pause .......

Switching the engine off and restarting seems to reset the system, but the problem repeats itself.
It first happened last summer, ie: in warm weather, but I have not needed or used the 4WD again until now that there is snow on the ground and the weather is below freezing - when I really need the 4WD !

The owners manual says "Contact Dealer" so I did. They asked if I had stock tyres - the answer is Yes, they then asked if any tyre is under inflated - the answer is no. Beyond that, they have no clue and would need to do some fault diagnostics to figure it out.

Anyone else had the same problem or better still, know what the problem is and how to fix it ?

Old 02-06-2003, 07:44 AM
Range Rover

Make certain your battery is fully charged, put it on a charger. I left my key on to warm up my carb before starting (with the headlight off) my wife wanted something and I got sidetracked, well I forgot about my quad and the battery died. I manually started it the next day with the recoil and it ran fine for an hour. The next day I tried starting it and I could not get it to shift into neutral to start (ES) so I broke out the manual shifter put it in neutral and it started fine with the electric start, but it did fall out of 4x4 by it self once in a 15 minute ride. I put it on a charger for a couple hours and it has been fine since.

Moral of the story the alternator on the Foreman does not appear to charge that well when you have the headlight on so if your quad has been sitting around for a couple months or for what ever reason your battery gets low, throw a charger on it.

Old 02-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the advice "03Foreman".
Haven't had a chance to put the battery on charge yet, but will let you know the outcome in a few days time when I can get to it !