Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Is this the right price for 1st checkup??

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2000, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just brought my new rancer in for 100 mile maintenance checkup and oil change. I was charged $152. Can this be right??

Old 04-13-2000, 11:03 PM
Trailblazer

It probably is I paid $155 for my first servise on the 400EX. It is a compet rip off but they say you have to have it done by them not void your waranty. The first thing they asked when I had some major engine problems was if I had had my first service and who did it. It is all stuff I could do for $10 Oh well.

Old 04-13-2000, 11:25 PM
Trailblazer

I planned to do the first service on my Rancher myself. All but setting the valves. I wanted that done by the Pro's. When I called my dealer and asked them what they charge to set the valves, they told me that the first service was $65 and that included oil, filter, valve adjustment, grease, brake adjustment and cable lube. I was shocked that it was that cheap. There isn't that much $ in parts, but getting to the valves looks like a job. The $152 that you were charged is more in line with what I've heard from other dealers. Truthfully though, I think the first service on these things should be included in the sale price. Afterall we are paying $5000+ for these "toys".

Old 04-13-2000, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

Federal courts have upheld the rights of consumers to perform their own periodic maintenance with no impact on a given product's warranty. All you must do is keep an accurate record of the work having been done at the specified intervals.

I would report any dealer that tells your otherwise to your local BBB by submitting a formal complaint.

Old 04-13-2000, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I completely agree with Galt,the first check up should be included in the price of the quad.I called the dealer on my 00 Xplorer,them idiots want me to pay 120 dollars first service for a oil injected quad.[no oil change]Im going to be doing it myself,screw them a$$holes.It just makes you wonder what could cost SO much?===BILL

Old 04-13-2000, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

You are absolutely correct!!! I work at a Ford dealership and we go be the same rules. If the consumer does the work themselves, they should save all the reciepts and follow the manufactures' servive manual for all services performed. No one should be 'made' to have services performed by the dealer.

Old 04-14-2000, 12:31 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

what drlaney said is true, my woman bought a Hyundai accent and they tryed to void her warrenty because I changed her oil... I downloaded the web page explaining the law ( cant rember the name or link ) they gladley gave her her warrenty back plus 2 years and $50.00 cash for the hassel... probley becasue it solved them a major headace

Old 04-14-2000, 12:58 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

another thing, the first checkup is just that, a check up because all they do is change the oil, clean the filter, check the valves and if they are in spec leave them. they just look the rest of the rig over. If you know of a good dealer that really lubes cables and checks things over well then stick by them, but the normal oil change and filter check is a rip off for $100+

Old 04-16-2000, 09:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

I plan on picking my new rancher es this weekend and I hope that I do not have to bring it back for a service. I will be very happy to do my own service work on my machine. I do not mine buying Honda filters and oil for now. I really like Castrol oil the best. As far as valves, I'm not sure if an adjustment is neccesary! I can buy the service manual for the price of all of that and still have some money left. I have checked valves before on my motorcycles and never had a problem. They rarely need adjustments! Keep the filters and the oil changed and have some respect for the bike and it will give you many hours of riding pleasure.

h

Old 04-17-2000, 03:15 AM
Trailblazer

My first check up was FREE. Can't beat that price! My dealer uses me really well, that's why he always gets my business. Once I took my four trax 300 to another dealer to get my head gasket fixed, Only because they were closer to home. They charged me over $200 and a month later it started leaking again. I then took it to my dealer where I purchased it and he fixed it, and get this for FREE, which was surprising because my warranty had expired long before. I'm sure not all dealer's are this good to there customer's but to answer your question " Is this the right price for 1st checkup" I think your dealer took you for a ride!

Quick Reply: Is this the right price for 1st checkup??