Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Recon Needle jet??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 12:49 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recon Needle jet??

Does anyone know if Keihen makes a one size smaller(richer) diameter needle? Stock needle says B39A.
I am thinking I may need to go richer, it kinda bogs RIGHT off of idle but the rest is explosive power. It will die if I jab the throttle while idling is this normal? I know my XR650 does that too. So its probably normal. Here's what I did to the 01 recon: cut off the end of the snorkel, put 6 uni airbox vents in,put K&N filter in, have a 40 pilot (38 is stock) 105 main(95 is stock) AND I took the choke out to increase airflow.And besides I have never used the choke I live in southern California.
It seems to be running pretty darn good, no snap, crackle and pop noises like it does stock.
Next step is a supertrap muffler and some polished wheels with new tires then the Recon will be cool.
It's to boring stock, It is my moms but hey I still have to ride the thing some times so I might as well trick it out.

Old 02-14-2003, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you try richening the needle via the slots and clip. I've even had to do that to some stock ones to get them to run decent. Don't neglect your idle mix screw either, that can make a big diff off idle. Devise a way to adjust that screw while running, heat soak your wheeler, set the idle speed on the low side, while idling, turn flatblade mix screw in and out in quarter turns until the highest idle is obtained. If you end up more than three and half turns out, try one size richer slow jet, if it idles highest when turned all the way in, go one size leaner. Then reset idle speed and try out. If the mix screw doesn't make any difference, your slow jet is wrong or degrees of clogged. Always reset mix screw after any jetting change. Your abrupt jab of throttle at idle killing machine I consider normal , especially for a slide type carb. Certain combs of air box mods, pipes can cause some weird flat spots and bogs too, and they can be frustrating difficult to jet out, sometimes easier to undo your mods. Wait til mom finds out what you did to her machine hehe. If all that fails, then I guess spend your hard earned (or you moms!) on a different needle.

Old 02-16-2003, 02:42 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh I forgot to say that I have the stock needle clip on the richest setting already, it only has three clip positions and stock it was in the middle. Before I change anything I am going to test ride it in the dirt, I have only test riden it on pavment for 10 minutes so far. It is hard to tell how it is runing on pavment, im used to having wheel spin. It isn't running bad at all, but is it perfect? I don't know.

Old 02-16-2003, 07:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing ever perfect adamwn, only degrees of acceptibility, and jetting is a trial and error thing. stay cool