Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

FourTrax Rancher 4x4, ES

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FourTrax Rancher 4x4, ES

I'm looking to get a 4x4 utility ATV and the Rancher 4x4 caught my attention.

What's the difference between the ES and 4x4? Is the ES worth it?

I'm looking to mainly use it as a snow plow in the winter for my driveway, sidewalk, etc and occaisonal off-roading.

Are there plow kits available for the Rancher?

Old 02-23-2003, 01:04 PM
Range Rover

I chose the es over the manual because you get full running boards and the sticks and crap don't get hung up on the shift lever when in brushy terrain.It is also easier to shift with a thumb when you are standing up in really rough terrain. I found the es to be worth the extra money but am going with a rubicon for my next quad as the hydrostatic drive is even nicer to use than the es.

Old 02-23-2003, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

You can get a 4x4 Rancher with the ES(electric shift) option, or the S model with a foot operated shifter. The ES is a pushbutton shifting operation that is operated by the left thumb. The ES model includes a digital display with several functions displayed, ie speed, time, trip odometer, odometer, hour meter, gear position, and a few others I believe. While you don't get the display with the S (foot shift model). Both the S and ES are available on a 4x4 model or a 2x4 model. I personally have a 4x4 Rancher with the foot operated shifter as that was my personal preference. I know a few people the have ES models and they have not had any problems to date. You won't be disappointed by the Rancher, whether it be the S or ES. With the super low first gear, snow should not be a problem.

Old 02-23-2003, 01:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

So a Rancher 4x4 ES + Warn Plow kit would be a good choice?

I was planning to mount the plow and plow snow just not for my driveway but also for the local sidewalks and stuff in case of heavy snow. We have a lot of old ppl around here and only 2-3 gas powered snow blowers that I observed to have great difficulty dealing with the blizzard. I figure if I could get a small plow (48") and rotate it 30 degrees I could tackle sidewalks, then rotate it back for driveways and large surfaces.

Do you happen to know the limitations to the pushing capacity for snow on an ATV like the Rancher 4x4 ES?

I heard $600 for the Warn plow, lift actuator, and rotating deal. Is this an accurate estimate?
So that's about $6000 for an ATV + plowing accessories.

Does anyone know if I'd need a license or special permit to operate an ATV (Class II ORV) in NJ?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-23-2003, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I personally have never plowed snow with my Rancher but I would venture to say that you should not have a problem, just knowing the things that I have pulled with my Rancher. The Rancher is a pretty stout machine. I have never seen any specs concerning the amount of pushing power and I'm not even sure of a place that you could find this. The Ranchers pulling capacity is around 8 to 9 hundred pounds so if you could somehow go off of this number. The only problem area you would possibly have is with the stock tires on a Rancher. I do not know how they do in snow(I know they stink in mud) I put a set of aftermarket tires and wheels on my Rancher shortly after I bought it. When you compare a Rancher with another machine cost wise and from a reliability point of view(can't beat a honda in this area) then I think you would get the most bang for you buck from a Rancher. I do not think personally that a Rancher will have any problem pushing snow with a 48" plow. This however is my own opinion, others may be able to give you a different point of view.

Old 02-23-2003, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I see...

Well Its either $1500-$1700 for a good Honda snowblower, or $6000+ for a Fourtrax Rancher 4x4 ES + Warn Plow kit and actuator.

I don't know if the snowblower would have any problems tackling the snow either.

Old 02-24-2003, 03:25 AM
Pro Rider

The Rancher does great in snow. Mine has a plow, and it works awesome. I went riding today in the snow, and had no problems with my stock tires, steep inclines & all. A Rancher & plow will finish those sidewalks for you very quickly, and it's fun! Much better than the snowblower! It's a great overall machine.

Old 02-24-2003, 04:55 AM
Pro Rider

I have a homemade plow on my '86 fourtrax 250 and when it is chained up, it plows snow pretty good considering what it is.

Old 02-24-2003, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For wide open areas, parking lots, ice skating rinks, large driveways the wheeler works good. For sidewalks, hardened drifts where the city has plowed and left the remnant of very hard snow, and tight areas that fill up with heavy snow, the blower much better.

Old 02-24-2003, 09:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Plus think of all the other chores you can do with a rancher, not to mention the fun you can have when you aren't plowing snow.

Quick Reply: FourTrax Rancher 4x4, ES