Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Best upgrades for Rubicon???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 01:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best upgrades for Rubicon???

Hi everyone. I just became a member and was wondering what were the best and most common upgrades to do for the Rubicon. I am very pleased with this machine, but would like alil more power and thought about installing the warn 4X4 disconnect kit. Also any tips on sevice as far as oil and such. Any help for a novice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!

-Funkdafied-

Old 03-28-2003, 02:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

The WARN 424 Select kit is a good option. It gives you better steering and allows you to go back to 4-wheel drive quickly. I haven't done anything to my engine.
I got mine at All Terrain Online

Old 03-28-2003, 03:03 PM
Range Rover

I would never own any quad without installing a good winch and more aggressive 6 ply tires.A rack bag is also handy for storing your extras like tow rope,tire repair kit ,axe,etc.

Old 03-28-2003, 03:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

A Rack bag is a good idea. I preffer a dry storage box personally. Each to his own.

Old 03-28-2003, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tires are a good upgrade. I am going to start using Valvolie's 10w30 4-stroke ATV oil.

Old 03-29-2003, 04:31 AM
Pro Rider

Tires are a must, and for many a great upgrade is CV boot guards, I have Oxlite's but any kind of guard will do. I would like to get the warn 424 but I ordered the HMF exaust with a K&N filter and jet kit which will be here soon. I also have the disc brake kit, I put it on about two weeks ago. The disc brakes works better than the drums for mudding and my style of riding. I have fender bags $20 at walmart, they hold all I need to take on a ride. The Maier hand guards are also a nice $25 upgrade if you ride through any brush or have limbs sticking out over the trail.

Old 03-29-2003, 07:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome and glad you enjoy your machine. My tip is to carefully follow the instructions for changing or checking oil level. This is a dry sump engine so there is a special procedure that MUST be followed or you will have the wrong amount (probably too much) of oil. Also because you have a fluid transmission the oil viscosity becomes much more important in terms of performance. You will find a chart in your owner's manual that gives recommended weights vs. temperature. Where I live that means 5W-30 for about 6 months out of the year. I only mention this because I see a lot of rubicons overfilled and find people using too heavy oil here in the winter, both will make them slow.

Old 03-29-2003, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have a buddy that works at a Suzuki shop. He sold me the Warn 4X4 disconnect for 253.00. I figured that was as cheap as I was gonna find. He also sold me a no-toil air filter for it. How big of a jet should I get for it. I want it alil faster. I don't really want to go with a loud pipe because I use it to tend with my cattle and the loud exhaust will spook them. Thanks again guys!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-01-2003, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

Get a Arctic Cat 500i

See arctic cat crazy pics. I have a picture of a foreman and rubicon and rancher. I must say the rancher will outdo the rubicon. The foreman doesnt have any power but will out do the rincon, The rincon has no low end torque. The foreman 450 is by far the better of the hondas

Old 04-01-2003, 04:00 AM
Pro Rider

CatKrazy, is your only solution to everything get an AC500i. The 500i is a nice bike but the guy already has a bike and seems to just want to make it a bit sportier. I have a friend that says he is about to get a lime green AC 500i with 28" Zilla's on it, I am sure it will out mud me but a rancher out performing a rubicon, what are you smokin man. I would like to know in what areas a rancher is better than the rubicon in. How is a 450 better than the rincon also as I am curious because from what I have gathered the rincon doesn't need a low range. The 450 is the best honda, whatever man while not a bad bike it isn't the best for sure and not even the best honda.

Quick Reply: Best upgrades for Rubicon???