Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rear Axle Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2000, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mechanic at shop said that I need to replace rear axle bearings on my 91 250x. Pretty expensive to do so I wondering exactly how difficult a job it is?? I replaced my own brake pads, I know that was not a hard job, but just letting you know I am a little mechanically inclined. I also have manual, but was wondering about tips and if it is a big pain in a$$???
Any help appreciated.
Thank You

Old 04-25-2000, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

Its not to bad I had to replace the axle bearings in my 250r and I am only 14. first take your caliper off then your wheel hub loosen your lock nut then take off your rotor take off your chain and slide out the axle then pull out your carrier we had to heat up my old bearings to get them to come out relace the bearing and seals then reverse the procedure

Old 04-26-2000, 07:22 AM
Pro Rider

watch the alloy bearing housing!!!@!!!!!!!!
they are not cheap and don't like heat
you may have to heat the axle nuts though, this is common thing, make sure you set the axle nut back to the recommended torque once new bearings are in or tight if you don't have a torque wrench
and a good idea.....well it works for me is wrap the nuts (and exposed thread) in insulation tape to keep the mud out.

Old 04-26-2000, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

If they are the original bearings this might be a job for somebody with some experience to help you with. You could cause a lot of damage if you ruin the carrier. If you do it your self take the chain, axle,and skid plate off. Take the seals out and spray the bearings with WD 40 or liquid wrench and let it sit for a while. Use a large punch to tap out the bearings but be sure not to scratch the carrier. When everything is out, make sure all parts are clean and smooth(no rust spots). Put the bearings in the freezer for an hour or two, this will reduce their diameter. Once cold, take the bearings out and tap them in. Use a piece of wood or something soft to drive them in, if you dent them they will fail early. Next pack the carrier with good bearing grease and put the seals in then axle.....
It's a good idea to check the bearings once in a while and regrease them to keep the water and dirt out.

Old 04-26-2000, 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

iits not that hard actully instead of paying out the --- for honda bearings get the number of your bearing and have you auto shop look up the bearing in there book and you can get it alot cheaper and its the same thing