Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

3wd Versus 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2000, 10:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I originally posted this as a reply to another topic but nobody replied to it.
I own a Suzuki Quadmaster and my parents own a 2000 SP500 which I ride almost every weekend. I feel I am in a good position to comment on the 3WD - 4WD issue. While in extreme conditions the Polaris will go more places, there are drawbacks to the Polaris system. The most annoying trait is the inability of the front wheels to use any of the engine breaking. I don't see how this is not talked about more often, unless all the people that talk about going up gnarly stuff never ride down it. I know my quadmaster will walk down some insane stuff without even touching the breaks. When on the SP500 I am constantly on the breaks because the back tires are just skidding down the trail because the engine breaking is only affecting the rear wheels. Anybody who has ridden a Polaris knows what I am talking about. The other concern I have with the Polaris drive system is the somewhat problematic unlocking of the front hubs. Sometimes after shutting off the AWD switch one of the front hubs will not let go and you have a 700lb quad that only wants to go in circles (Polaris quads are not the easiest steering to begin with). This is not an everyday thing but my family and I have had it happen a dozen times or so in the past six months. I know this is not an isolated machine because I personally know other Polaris owners who have experienced this same thing.
After stating this I would like to say that I love all quads and would never bash a brand or a model. There are certain things I like better about the Polaris over my Suzuki, but for my needs I chose the Suzuki (a large factor was the easy steering for my wife). I would be perfectly happy if I owned a Polaris or any other quad for that matter, they all have a strengths and weaknesses.
I would like to hear other comments on the Polaris 4WD versus 3WD, am I the only one that feels this way?
How many of you guys live in Washington state?
Later,

Rob
rob@northwestpowertools.com

Old 04-27-2000, 11:13 PM
Range Rover

Why don't you just email atving directly, he'll line you out on this.

Old 04-27-2000, 11:32 PM
Range Rover

Old 04-27-2000, 11:32 PM
Range Rover

Old 04-27-2000, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I could not agree more about the SP500. I have read many posts on the on going dispute of 3wd/4wd.The Quadmaster as well as several other quads have a "torque sensing" front differential which most people think is a 3wd. This is not completly true. If you encounter a tough spot and notice only one front wheel spinning, you can "lightly" apply the front brakes which will then cause both front wheels to pull together. Although this is not instant 4wd at the flick of a switch it can help you out of a bind.

Old 04-27-2000, 11:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have tried the front brake thing and in some situations it did help the non-spinning tire grab.

Later

Old 04-28-2000, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

Hey sledder I appreciate that but you didn't have to post it 3 times hehehe...first of all the sportsman and all other Polaris can be tricked into using 4 wheel ebs just back up holding your over ride button switch it into H or L forward as you hold the button the button and there you have it 4 wheel ebs, you are right about the back wheels braking traction when coming down steep stuff if you don't want to use the 4 wheel ebs method just keep blipping your gas and pump your brakes ever now and then practice this and I think you will soon master the technique as far as the 3 wd verse the 4wd I have got kinda of a problem with the method of pumping your brakes when you are going up something so steep a goat would have trouble with it...I also own 2 different machines the AC and the Sportsman and I have seen some places you wouldn't do any pumping unless you were pumping the atv off of top of you.
As far as the steering go over to the Polaris forum and read up on the post "do you want to make your polaris steer easier" me and some of the guys over there are running these custom made plates and they are nothing short of power steering...no kidding they really work well. On the problem of the front end locking one way this has happen to me a few times just simply put it in reverse and back it up...your back the way it was, the few times mine has done it, it wasn't really no big pain and if it keeps doing this I wouldn't give up the 4 wheel drive pulling because of this.

Old 04-28-2000, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

Zaskar,

I am in Southern Washington! Where do you ride?

Old 04-28-2000, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

Zaskar:
Here's another from Washington! Currently in Pullman, soon to be back in the Tri-Cities. (Ugh) As Snowshark asked, "where do you ride"???

Nice to see others from around the state in here, not just back east!

Mike

Old 04-29-2000, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

I do not even have any EBS on the front or back wheels and just use the brakes if I feel I am going down a hill to fast I do not see the big deal of EBS.

Quick Reply: 3wd Versus 4wd