Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

How come Hondas falling behind lately?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 02:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How come Hondas falling behind lately?!?!?!

Honda used to be top dog in a lot of ATV classes but now they are falling behind. The 400ex isn't as good as the KFX/Z400. The Recon isn't as good as the Ozark. The Rincon isn't as good as the 650 Prairie. The Rubicon isn't as good as the Vinson. The Rancher isn't as good as the Wolverine etc. I am not dissing Honda fans and Honda itself it just seems that they are falling behind lately. I like Honda I have a 86 200sx that still runs very good. Anyone know why? Are they coming out with any new quads? Thanks

Old 04-23-2003, 03:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think that Ozarkrider03 is actually a Honda person at heart. He seems to spend more time here in Honda than he does in Suzuki. (not that there is anything wrong with that) I think someday his name will be "HONDArider03". He's just a closet Honda lover right now.

Old 04-23-2003, 07:17 PM
Range Rover

Just because I have a Suzuki quad doesn't mean that I don't like other brands my favorite is Suzuki then Honda. (Whats wrong with it?)

Old 04-23-2003, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a lot of stiff competition out there, and a lot of good rides, but I don't necessarily agree that their falling behind. They are very careful about what they're putting out there right now but who knows why? Legal reasons? They want to be seen as different than the others? Don't forget how especially Honda got burned in the mid-80's three wheeler consent decree. Personal injury lawyers just foamed at the mouth when somebody had an accident on their ATC110. Honda is a conservative company in some ways but they sure sell like crazy, and have a very high quality product, they must be doing something right. After all, you said yourself your 86 200sx still runs good.

Old 04-23-2003, 11:16 PM
Range Rover

I don't think Honda is behind the times and I get sick of people saying so. The Banshee, Warrior, and Blaster. Those are behind the times. Very little, if any updates since 1987. I don't see people saying Yamaha is behind the times with those models. Or is it just because they have the all mighty Raptor? Wow. Whoopdie doo!

Old 04-24-2003, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer

LOL yea wat he said

Old 04-24-2003, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too don't believe Honda is falling behind the times. There is alot more competition out there than there used to be and there are a lot of different ATVs. 76 different 4-wd sport utilities alone.

Just for an example. If Honda had decided to cut quality (I do believe Honda is the leader in quality) a bit, or decided to use a belt type trans instead of the trans they use in the Rubicon, that would leave them enough money to install a trax-lok and maybe a locker in the Rubicon instead, or even and IRS suspension. Had they made those choices, I would have made another choice and bought something else.

I see the different options, advantages, and dis-advantages of other ATV's and for now I will continue to spend my money at the Honda dealer.

Old 04-24-2003, 12:14 AM
Trailblazer

RITE ON HONDA ALL THE WAY

Old 04-24-2003, 12:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider

If they are not behind they should do a better job. They build good stuff just not very exciting anymore in the world of big bores. Of course not everyone wants 60hp so they go for the masses i guess. I was disapointed in my friends crf 450 custom quad. He was too, he sold it 3 months after finishing it.

Old 04-24-2003, 12:40 AM
Trailblazer

I agree with the majority on this one. Honda is in a class buy itself when it comes to introducing new technology to atv's. The first example is the engine configuration, only honda mounts their engines similar to that of a car with the crank inline with the drive shafts. Second is the choice of transmissions that is available through honda, They did not opt for a snowmobile nock off like every one else.

The fastest quad is not always the best. Honda builds purpose built machines. So trying to compare a Rincon to a Grizzly is like apples to oranges.

Alot of the comments that are posted always speak of the performance of a machine, but few mention the Fit and finish, ease of maintenance, or the longevity of a machine 10 years down the road. Honda has a rep for a reason and it is odd that when judging reliabity of a different machine Honda is usually the benchmark.

Don't get me wrong I think that other brands are very nice too. Grizzly and the wolverine are excellent machines. How ever most people I know who ride Hondas are satisfied with the ability of the machine, those who are not should have done a little more research before they bought. No good to buy a Foreman to go ridin with a bunch of Banshees or a 400 ex to go hunting!

Quick Reply: How come Hondas falling behind lately?!?!?!