Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BROKEN SCAPHOID?

Did u have to have surgery on it?

Old 04-28-2003, 02:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default BROKEN SCAPHOID?

Blasterdevile2, the scaphoid (or Navicular) fracture, as stated earlier, is the fracture of a small bone in the wrist near the base of the thumb. To find it, make a "thumbs up" (or hitch-hiker) sign with one hand, then push your opposite index finger into the wrist joint (in that little pocket slightly toward the back side of the hand) at the base of the thumb. You are now pressing on it. This injury takes a long time to heal due to the low blood flow to that particular bone. Many navicular fractures involve two to three months in a cast, followed by several weeks of physical therapy.

Yellowexracer, you asked for info from anyone that has done this. I would recommend that you follow your doctors recommendation, maybe yet to come, and go through physical therapy. This injury, combined with a lengthy imobilization period, can result in permanent limitted motion and pain in the wrist area. This may not be that big of an issue for you if you do really get out of your cast in 3 weeks. No matter what, ask your doctor for some "range of motion" excersizes and do them religiously.

Good luck to both of you, yellowexracer and quadwarrier02.

Old 04-28-2003, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default BROKEN SCAPHOID?

sr71a-if i have broke that would it not allow me to bend my hand up. been trying to get back in to see the doc but he is booked up.

Old 04-28-2003, 03:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default BROKEN SCAPHOID?

Blasterdevil2,
A fracture of any bone in the wrist area could cause it to be very painfull to bend your hand backwards. A scaphoid fracture can be easily missed on an x-ray, especially a very mild fracture when a navicular view is not taken. However, it is the second most common wrist fracture and typically doctors will look for this fracture, especially if you mentioned you bent your handlebars in your accident.

Were you able to locate the scaphoid, or navicular, using the directions given earlier? If so, pushing your finger into this pocket (commonly referred to as the "snuff box") will often result in significant pain when a fracture is present. Regardless, after 8 weeks of pain and limitted motion, I would recommend having a doctor take another look at it.

Good luck to you also.