Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Which is the best exhaust for the 400 EX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2000, 07:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Duncan Racing Double Barrel pipe on my 400ex. The Duncan pipe is just like the DMC. My bike is all stock except for the K&N filter and different jets. It made a HUGE difference in the bike. I have two buddies that have modified Banshees, they use to blow by me in third gear, now I smoke one of them and the other one is just about the same as mine. I didn't lose any bottom end. It will wheelie without even leaning back. It is a totally different bike. I rode a stock bike the other day, and I couldn't believe it was the same bike.

It is loud! It is too loud for me, however I liked the increase in power and torque so much that I kept it. I bought the Duncan racing instead of the DMC because he gives a 30 day money back guarantee. If you don't like it for any reason, you can send it back for a full refund. You can't beat that! After you bolt it on you won't want to send it back. My only complaint is the noise. It runs a lot faster without the air box lid! However, that makes it even louder. I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

Old 05-11-2000, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer

If you race what about Curtis Sparks or HVO. Everybody that races there 400ex around here has one of those. Does anybody know about these exhausts?I don't own a 400ex but I would go with the DMC. I have a White Brothers e-seris on my 300ex and was a big improvement on mine but the 300 and 400ex are very differnt and I don't know what it would do to a 400ex.

Old 05-11-2000, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Big Gun and DMC systems. I do not race, and sound kind of matters to me. I know I can get a spark arrester for the Big Gun which will take the sound level down some. Is the spark arrester for the DMC make it quieter? Since I don't race, which would be the best for aggressive riding on wooded trails, hill climbs, and wide open areas? Thanks a lot.

Old 05-12-2000, 12:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a White Bros. E-series exhaust( just the muffler) for my 400EX.
I want a headpipe for it.
White Bros told me they don't make a headpipe for the E-series but they do for the their top of the line exhaust(can't remember the name of it) but they won't sell the headpipe alone.
I think that is a bunch of crap!
White Bros. told me FMFs headpipe MIGHT line up with their silencer but was not for sure.
Does anyone know of a headpipe that will line up with the E-series?

Thanks
Rdogg
'99 400EX

Old 05-12-2000, 05:45 AM
Trailblazer

Hackmazter Dude you are wacked. The stock pipe is crap compared to my e series pipe. I have also rejeted and have a k&n. I can kill stock pipes in speed and in bottom end. Plus it sounds much better than stock.(my oppinion) I say it's a good investment even though companys are screwing us with high prices.

Old 05-12-2000, 05:45 AM
Trailblazer

Dude you are wacked. The stock pipe is crap compared to my e series pipe. I have also rejeted and have a k&n. I can kill stock pipes in speed and in bottom end. Plus it sounds much better than stock.(my oppinion) I say it's a good investment even though companys are screwing us with high prices.

Old 05-12-2000, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

Rdogg, I also have the e-series silencer and was looking for a header pipe to use with it. I gave up looking after learning that the reason none of the aftermarket pipes will work is because the pipe diameters will not match up. You see, if you order any silencer to fit the stock headpipe it must fit the diameter of the stock headpipe at the end of the pipe. The aftermarket headpipes have larger diameters at the end of the pipe and will only match up with a silencer specifically designed to mate with it.

Old 05-12-2000, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

the ids-2 supper trapp pipe is the way to go its
small,light,not to loud, sounds good.

Old 05-13-2000, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

I am not wacked. I had a WB E series on my Warrior. It was loud. I hated it. You didn't really listen to me. I have 9.5 to 1 compression and that brought up my torque, then I freed up the head and gained horsepower. I did the same or more than you, I just chose to do it in a different spot. What is the difference between a restrictive engine with a freeflowing pipe or a freeflowing engine with a restrictive pipe? I rejetted, bought a uni filter, and run with no airbox lid. I could take the end cap off the stocker and be equal to the WB in flow (and noise unfortunately) It would probably be a good race, and I could pull the endcap off if you were even or ahead a little. Do you still have stock gearing and stock rear tires?

Old 05-13-2000, 03:19 AM
Trailblazer

Yes I do for now. I'M thinking of going to a 415, new cam, rev limiter, carb, etc. I still need to do more research. You are right in what you are saying I suspect. I admit I'M no mechanic. I like the sound of the e series though as well as the looks. Personal prefrence.Oh ya. no need to call names, My appologies.