Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

When Coyote's attack!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When Coyote's attack!!!

The past few nights I have being delaing with barking dogs non-stop. Tuesday morning at 3 a.m., as I was getting ready for work, I heard some noise in the back yard. I couldn't tell what it was and it eventually disappeared.

Well, last night, my kids woke up to the barking dogs (I was out cold). My daughter went to the patio door to yell at my German Shorthair that was barking. When she did, she heard something running towards her through the yard. The sound got closer and was soon coming across the patio when............BOOM!!!!!!!!!! A coyote ran into the sliding glass door. Luckily he didn't get in. Of course my daughter and oldest son were too terrified to wake me up and let me know what just happened. So, I will be out there tonight trying to call in the song-dogs. We have one neighborhood dog that has mysteriously disappeared (including a $400 collar for invisible fencing).

Old 06-12-2003, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

we have that same problem here. except the opossums are getting worse. in the past 2 weeks i have had to get 6 opossums out of our carport and get them into the yard and shoot them in the middle of the night. coyotes aren't that bad anymore tho, a spotlight and 22 magnum cured a lot of that problem, now if i can only get rid of the opossums. any suggestions?

Old 06-12-2003, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

get a live trap and some sardines and you will catch them no time.

Old 06-12-2003, 11:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

LEP7MM- Sounds like Rabies or maybe a human fed coyote. (No fear of people) Just a guess.
The coyotes I've seen were never that aggressive but I do know of one man (a logger) that was attacked by one. Throw an old chicken or something out in the middle of the yard to distract the coyote.

Don't let anything happen to that german shorthair. 2nd best breed with the boxer being #1 breed.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-13-2003, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

Coyotechaser,

funny you mention the Boxer breed. That's what is missing from the house next door, but they have one about 2 years old left. The missing one was getting old.

As far as rabies, Coyotes can get very bold. They have been entering people's yards around here stealing chickens and turkey's in broad daylight. Plus the young of the year should be getting weened off so the female's would be out looking for food.

Old 06-13-2003, 03:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I usually only see coyotes in passing. Last winter there was a dead skunk in the neighbors yard. One day I looked out around 12:00pm or so and the skunk was still there. Around 1:00pm or so the skunk was gone. I thought that the neighbor removed it until I went out and there were only coyote tracks going through where the skunk was.

A boxer is a big baby. Very easy to train. - I grew up with the German Shorthair breed. Good all around dog.

I guess the coyote hasn't been back yet? or has it?

Old 06-13-2003, 03:16 AM
Pro Rider

We've got a lot of coyotes around here too. A lot of they are in our yard at night or hear them howling. I always see them in the field when I'm on the tractor, although whenever I see them I never have a gun with me. Sometimes they get close enough that I can almost jump off and hit them with a stick.
For opossums get a good live trap, or just a good dog.

Old 06-13-2003, 03:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have a Malamute in a kennel out in my yard. Every once in awhile I find a dead opossum out in his kennel. They must be trying to eat his food and then they end up a chew toy.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] So dogs do work for the opossum if you have the right kind.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-13-2003, 05:06 PM
Trailblazer

Sit on the back porch, throw some meat in the yard, and arm yourself with one of them Remington 870 3½ inch magnums loaded with 000buckshot for whenever they get close. For the long shots, a .375 Remington Ultra Mag will fix the coyote problem in a hurry [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] (can you tell I'm a Remington fan?)

P.E.T.A. (people eating tasty animals)

Old 06-13-2003, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

work has been taking it's tole on me. I ended up falling alseep lastnight. Going out tonight to try.

Quick Reply: When Coyote's attack!!!