Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

When Murphy Comes to Call

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 06:38 PM
Ol
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When Murphy Comes to Call

The desert is a very hostile and unforgiving environment. Appended here is a list of items I have on my ATV when I make excursions out into the unknown spaces. In the high desert wilderness, a problem only 5 miles away from the ranch could spell disaster.

ALWAYS a jacket – last Saturday it was 98 in the afternoon and 41 in the morning
Water bottle + full extra canteen + 10L / 2.5 Gallon water keg (yes, all 3)
Survival rations
Cell phone
CB Radio and /or Motorola GMRS radio (if a partner has one)
Topo Map - Compass - GPS (GPS is always 3rd behind the Map & compass, never 1st)
Gerber Tool
SAK
tow strap
bungee cords
folding knife or fixed blade
firearm and extra ammo (Usually a 12Ga double barreled Coach Gun w/ 7 rnds of 00 Buck, 7 rnds of hi base #4s, 8 rnds of #8s, & 3 aerial signal flares paired with a Ruger 22 auto w/ 6 7/8 barrel and a box of ammo. That's in the Survival Bag. I also always wear a handgun: either a 45ACP, S&W Trail Boss 44 mag, or S&W M38 Bodyguard)
German entrenching tool because it provides both pick and shovel
8X10 plastic tarp
1st Aid Kit & venom extraction kit
2 cell Maglight (AA size)
6 extra AA batteries in a small ammo pouch (for Maglight, GPS, CB)
Photon Flashlight
Fox 40 whistle
1 roll toilet paper
Boonie Hat with chin strap
bandana (yup, them cowboys wore ‘em for a reason)
sportsman's survival blanket
Bic lighter, magnesium fire starter & magnifying lens
Sunblock
heavy leather work gloves
tool kit containing:
6" adjustable wrench
8mm,10,12,13,14,15, combo wrenches
lines-mans pliers
mill file, small (very handy)
multi blade screwdriver
roll of electrical tape
4" "needle nosed" Vise Grips
asstd sized cotter pins
3 hand held aerial signal flares
3 12 Ga aerial signal flares
1 Orange Smoke Marker
1 roll of duct tape
5 ft 18 ga. electrical wire
asstd electrical connectors
shrink tubing
100 ft paracord
50’ nylon rope
can of instant tire repair
tire plug kit
spare fuses
spare spark plug & spark plug wrench
whet stone

Old 06-18-2003, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

Where do you put all that crap?

Old 06-18-2003, 06:59 PM
Ol
Range Rover

Everything except the water keg, the shotgun, the e-tool, and the tarp fits into two small (9"round x 18" across U.S. Army "butt bags" that strap onto the racks. The shotgun goes into an aft rack bag and the water keg on the front rack.

Old 06-18-2003, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

how much does it weigh?

Old 06-18-2003, 08:16 PM
Ol
Range Rover

One bag weighs 3#, the other, just over 10# (it has the tools in it). The 10L water keg is 20#. The shotgun is 5#, the e-tool - 2#.

That's 42 pounds of life saving "crap" that 60 years of experience has taught me can and will save your live and mine in the real boonies. And the Honda carries it, not I.

Old 06-19-2003, 01:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Say your Honda does breaks down 10 miles out. (Not that a Honda might break down[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ), Ok say your Honda over heated and stalls out. (Because of no liquid cooling[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ) How do you carry most of that stuff to survive your way back?

Old 06-19-2003, 04:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

If he broke down 10 miles out? Heck, he could ditch 99.9% of it and walk home. Water, jacket, hat & gps and you're home safe unless you're seriously injured!

Old 06-19-2003, 01:34 PM
Ol
Range Rover

Bingo!
Swingset, you figgered 'er right out! You take what you need and ALL the water and start hiking out.

I chose the "bags" that is did because they are "back packable".

Actually, attempting 10 miles on foot in the high desert midday isn't any too smart. Those 10 miles out there could well take you 12 hours of walking because of the very rugged terrain and high altitude.

The desert is NOT flat. It's very rugged mountainous terrain and while the cell phone might work here, it may not 50' away because the signal is blocked by mountain or canyon walls. The CB is only reliable from the higher "peaks". If you're injured, the water, those aerial flares and the smoke could well be what saves your bacon.

The GPS is fabulous but is NOT a substitute for a map and compass. An employee of mine was sailing around the world a few years back and near the Solomon Islands in the South Pacific came upon a family completely lost at sea - the guy had been trying to sail to Australia using GPS until his unit went out - and he hadn't clue one how to navigate celestially.

Back to the desert: please notice that water is 50% of the weight. There is NO water there except what you have with you.

Different parts of the US would dictate a completely different set up. In most places, a single canteen and water filter would suffice for the water part, thus cutting your "carry weight" by 50%.

I should add that so far, I have imposed a 7 mile limit on myself when I'm alone and less in the really rugged terrain.

Old 06-20-2003, 06:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

I hear ya about 10 miles in the desert. That was always our limit (I used to live outside Phoenix in the sunvalley). There it's much flatter, but still that's a haul to do on foot. My point tho is even if difficult, it's survivable. If you have the water & something to keep you warm/shaded, you'll make 3 days in the desert...tho you'll be mighty sore when you get there! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

GPS is a godsend, but yes it'll become a false-crutch to people if they don't have experience navigating by map or terrain.

Here in Ohio, there's not enough open terrain to worry about getting that kind of lost, and water is everywhere. I forget how easy it is till I hear from people in harsher conditions.