Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

atv and hunting

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 03:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atv and hunting

I agree. There's nothing like getting next to nature and just sitting there and watching everything around you. In NYS you have to be 500 feet (I think) from any road, house, or vehicle. You also can't have a loaded fire arm in you vehicle or ATV

Old 09-28-2003, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default atv and hunting

I killed a decent buck one season while riding back to camp. I made a corner and noticed a two deer standing in the road. I stopped and got off the ATV just to see which they went when I noticed there were actually three deer, two of which had already crossed the road. There was thick brush on both sides and the third deer appeared to be trying to cross and catch up with the others. I could see just the tips of horns going back and forth in the brush when I happened to look down the road further and noticed a nice eight-point just standing there looking straight at me. I dropped him with one shot to the chest.

I should add this was logging trail and not a public road.

Old 09-30-2003, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default atv and hunting

CrazyJoe,
You have to be 500 feet from any house or building that you dont own or lease.As far as from the road you just have to off of it and not shooting across it.You can also be standing right next to a vehicle but not leaning on it and you cant have a loaded rifle in any motorized vehicle(you can have a loaded pistol).

Vince

Old 10-01-2003, 02:05 PM
Trailblazer
Default atv and hunting

Hunting from an atv is fun and a great way to get way back into the hills real qick, but Washington State law is the same for atv's and vehicles. Road hunting is not permitted. You cannot shoot from a vehicle nor carry a loaded rifle or shotgun (with rounds in the magazine or chamber) in or on the vehicle. You cannot shoot from a roadway regardless of road surface. You cannot shoot along or over a roadway regardless of surface.

HOWEVER you CAN carry a loaded DETACHABLE MAGAZINE in your vehicle as long as it is NOT attached to the firearm. So firearms that use a drop out detachable magazine can be carried loaded while inside or on your vehicle.
And in Washington State you cannot operate any atv's or non street licensed motor vehicle on State or National Forest roads. Game Agents in Washington State have full commissions now just like the Sheriffs Dept. and police officers, so they can and will be happy to write speeding and any other traffic violations to anyone acting a fool on or in any vehicle.

Old 10-01-2003, 05:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default atv and hunting

Hey Vince, thanks for the info

Old 10-01-2003, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default atv and hunting

Anytime Joe.

Bush Wacked,
You cant even have a loaded clip in a vehicle here in NY,it is considered a loaded weapon.Is that crazy or what?

Vince

Old 10-01-2003, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default atv and hunting

I don't believe there is any state wildlife agency that is more "hunter friendly" than the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. Not only is it legal to spotlight non-game animals, you don't even need a license. Yes, that's right. Due to increasing numbers (now over 4 million) of feral hogs, the state legislature removed the license requirement to hunt feral pigs on private land. There is no closed season nor bag limits. You can hunt them any time of the night or day, 365 days of the year.

Old 10-02-2003, 01:32 PM
Trailblazer
Default atv and hunting

VHCAT400i, well that really does not suprise me at all about not allowing a loaded mag in a vehicle, after all, it's New York.

sprindrl, here in Washington State you can alos hunt feral hogs without a license even on state land. No limit, no tag, no concern.
We can hunt predators, ie coyotes, raccoons and such at night with a light but not during big game seasons.

Old 10-02-2003, 05:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default atv and hunting

HOLD on I thought you could have a loaded clip!!! As long as it wasn't next or in the gun??? I've never had a loaded clip before but I always put my rifle in the back of my SUV and rounds on the back seat floor! And I was told that you could, just as long there not together.

Old 10-03-2003, 11:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default atv and hunting

God bless Texas!

Quick Reply: atv and hunting