Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

What to buy ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 12:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to buy ?

Ok thanx ill look into it. I dont think Iam gettin it soon thought. Tight budget and the seasons almost over.

Old 11-22-2003, 05:28 AM
BSA
Pro Rider
Default What to buy ?

The 243 Winchestre is a pleasant caliber to shoot. It has about half the recoil of a 30-06. Heavier bullets for deer, lighter bullets for varmits.

Old 11-22-2003, 10:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default What to buy ?

I'd stay away from the 243 and get the 308 instead. The 308 is good out to 300 yds, it has a short action which can save on weight, shorter and easy to carry in brush for drives, kicks less than a 270 or a 30-06. The 30 cal. might hold up better if it hits small branches at close range. You can get heavy bullets for bigger game. I shot elk and mule deer with it. I have a winchester model 70 308 bolt action with a redfield wide angle scope on it (the perfect mn deer rifle). I have more confidence shooting the 243 but If you dont follow up every deer you shoot at you will lose them. It doesnt make an exit hole consistently.

Old 11-22-2003, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default What to buy ?

Consider a New England Fireams Handi Rifle SB2. They are light weight,break open single shots that
can be fitted with additional barrels for different uses. They come in 22 rimfire, 22 Hornet,
223 Rem., 45-70, 30-30, 357 Mag, 44 Mag. They can also be fitted with shotgun barrels.

Best part is they are $200 at Walmart. The 30-30 might be best for your needs if you are hunting in
woods. I have one with a 223 and a 44 Mag barrel. The 44 takes deer quite cleanly out to about 150 yards.
As I hunt only woody areas, it is ideal. And it is short, so it doesn't give me problems on the ATV gunrack.

Old 12-03-2003, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default What to buy ?

I just got a 20g mossberg its pretty sweet no kick and its dead on

Old 12-07-2003, 07:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default What to buy ?

No kick , Will it fit on a Kodiak 400 ?

Old 12-07-2003, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer
Default What to buy ?

Originally posted by: AnimalAl
I'd stay away from the 243 and get the 308 instead. The 308 is good out to 300 yds, it has a short action which can save on weight, shorter and easy to carry in brush for drives, kicks less than a 270 or a 30-06. The 30 cal. might hold up better if it hits small branches at close range. You can get heavy bullets for bigger game. I shot elk and mule deer with it. I have a winchester model 70 308 bolt action with a redfield wide angle scope on it (the perfect mn deer rifle). I have more confidence shooting the 243 but If you dont follow up every deer you shoot at you will lose them. It doesnt make an exit hole consistently.

Well I usually will not go near a flame and have never started one in any forum regarding anything. I really do not wish to step on anyones toes here but here is a quote from AnimalAL that could not be further from the truth. Sorry Al, it sounds as if you really have no idea as to what you talking about.

The fact is, the 243 is a step child of the 308 caliber case, as is the 7mm/08, 260 Remington aka 6.5/08 and a few other wildcat calibers. It still uses the exact same length action, bolt face diameter, magazine follower and barrel length, so there goes you theory on saving weight and length, hence it's the same size gun just as the 308 just smaller diameter bore.

The 243 is a tremendously versatile cartridge with bullet weights ranging from 55 grains to 115 grains. Velocities and bullet selections are more than adaquate to cleanly kill deer at 300 yards and more. If you are shooting deer size game and need a follow up shot with a 243 then you will more than likely need that same follow up shot using a 308 bullet, it has much more to do with bullet placement than bullet diameter my friend.

As far as the 308 being better against small branches at close range, well most any bullet fired that stikes a branch or some obstacle, will move somewhat, the amount of deflection could seldom if ever be repeated exactly so it really does not matter what caliber it is, it will still be somewhat hindered by whatever it hits on it's way to it's intended target.

Many hunters use a 243 for large game and are very successful with it each and every year. 40 years ago when bullet technology was very limited the 243 could not compare with 308 caliber bullets simply due to the bullet mass. However now with the Nosler Partition bullets, Barnes bullets and other quality premium bullets there is no reason to not consider the 243 as a do all caliber. It will perform extremely well as a varminter rifle and certainly capable at taking large game such as 400 pound black bear or 600 pound elk within reasonable distances.

There are numerous reasons to buy and use a 308, but none of them are what you have stated. I have several 308 caliber rifles and only one 243, the reason is I will use military surplus ammo in a couple of my 308's and I also get 308 ammo free. I have to pay for the 243 ammo or reload it and either way it's expensive compared to free.

I hope I have not offended you or anyone else with my posting, it was just something I could not let go because of it's inaccuracy.

Old 12-08-2003, 08:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default What to buy ?

I have used a 6mm Rem with 105 grain Speer bullets @ 2900 feet per sec. on deer and elk, and they fold up like a groundhog
with a 75 grain. Have ever required a follow-up shot. And with a flatter trajectory than a 308 with 150 grain bullets @ 2600'/s.

I would have to agree with BushWacked.

Old 12-09-2003, 12:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default What to buy ?

Hey bushwacked, I am not offended. I am not a gun expert but I have experience. Sometimes when I write it doesn't come out like I want it to. In my post I ment to say the 308 shell and action is shorter than the 270 and the 30-06. And I said the 30 cal. MIGHT hold up in brush. just a guess. And yes the 243 is a nice round. I've seen the 243 take elk at 200 yrds and a deer at 400yrds. Shot placement is everything. He has since purchased a gun in 300 win mag for elk hunting. I've also seen a lot of running deer hit in the wrong places. I've seen good hits and only found hair. Maybe you found better ammunition for the 243 than we were using. Off the subject but a week after rifle season ended I saw a nice 12 pointer. Happy hunting.

Old 12-09-2003, 01:14 AM
Trailblazer
Default What to buy ?

AnimalAl, thanks for not being offended, I too will say things the wrong way and the next thing I know I got somebody up my shorts all bent out of shape for me blastin' off at the mouth.

Since I reread your post it was obvious something was missing it sounds as if you started to say that but somehow left it out, no harm.

I'm no expert either but have been shooting for over 40 years and reloading 30 some years. I have even built a few rifles in my time and do most all of my own trigger, action and stock work. Shooting has been in my blood for a very long time as well as NRA competition many years ago, being top shooter on my team and the team going to Camp Perry for the nationals which resulted in a first place national trophy. Still no expert, just an old guy with an opinion.

I don't deer or elk hunt much anymore but will occassionally get out for coyotes or do some pheasant hunting now and then.

12 point buck, that's a good size steak.