Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

.308 semi-auto

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 02:24 AM
Sc0
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .308 semi-auto

If your settled on a .308 semi, grab an Armalite or Eagle AR10. It's an odd rifle but it is always accurate and depending on how you treat it it can be reliable, not to mention being light. The M1A is a fine rifle, a bit heavy but very reliable allthough the accuracy isn't up to par of the AR10's for the price. Also if you do decide on the M1A, beware as Springfield seems to have started fitting "cast" parts to their rifles and still claiming GI parts, their goes the reliability. As for the warranty, I wouldn't worry about it as much unless you buy the parts individually and decide to assemble it yourself and then expect the factory to fix it if it doesn't work. Check out G.A.Precision as they can do a nice Eagle buildup for about the same price as a "T" and it will have his guarantee and be more accurate per $...

For price comparisons look at the M1A's and the AR-10's, Armalite and Eagle. For the price of a standard M1A you are in the same price range as a AR10A4 with a stainless match barrel and match trigger. Look at the price of a NM M1A and your looking at a AR-10"T" with scope rings and a few extra's. Look at the price of a Fulton Armory M1A, in all the models then compare against the Armalite's.

I just received my AR-10T a few days ago, very nice! In hindsight I should have had one built by GA Precision using a Eagle A4 NM receiver, 20" Mike Rock 5R barrel, adjustable gas block, Badger forend rail, and a few more extras..... Price would have been about the same as the stock "T". Oh well... I also have an M1-Garand which will be converted to .308 with a Krieger barrel at a later date due to ammo costs.

If you aren't set on a Semi .308, grab a Sendero OR Winchester bolt gun, accurate and cheaper not to mention an unquestionable history of reliability. If your not in a hurry to purchase, a few guys are wanting Armalite to make a AR-180 in .308...

Old 11-29-2003, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default .308 semi-auto

What's the difference between the AR-10 & AR-180?

Old 11-29-2003, 10:33 PM
Sc0
Weekend Warrior
Default .308 semi-auto

The AR-180 uses a gas piston actuated type of system compared to the gas only system of the AR-15/10 series.
Currently the AR-180 is available in .223 only. This rifle uses AR-15 magazines and the AR-15 trigger group.

Their was some pleading at the Armalite forums about coming out with an AR-180 in .308, .22-250, and .260 with a aluminum lower receiver instead of the current polymer type, only time will tell if Armalite pursues the project. Very few companies mftr so many different types of weapons: all grades of AR-15's, all grades of AR-10's, the newer AR-180, the bolt action AR-30's in .308, 300WM, and .338 Lapua, and the venerable AR-50 .50BMG. Myself, I have two Armalite's now which consist of the forementioned AR-10T in .308 and a AR-30M in .338 Lapua. I am tickled with Armalite's quality and am currently pretty broke, (both were purchased this year along with my KFX400).

If you don't have your heart set on a .308, you can get a really decent .30-06 M1-Garand from the DCM/CMP and maybe down the road convert it to .308. Beware of the newer made M1A's and Garands, look up Clint Mckee's site called Fulton Armory and read up on his tips/FAQ if you are still researching the M1A/M1. Everyone should have at least one of these rifles in their Gun Safe.

Old 11-30-2003, 11:18 AM
Trailblazer
Default .308 semi-auto

Hey Farmer, how do you call a coyote? They placed them here to help thin out the deer population and I have one in my hunting area thats spooking my deer. We can kill these bast*ds and as soon as I get a shot hes leaving. If you could tell me how to call em, it ll make his disappearance sooner.

Brad

Old 11-30-2003, 12:36 PM
Trailblazer
Default .308 semi-auto

Hey Farmer, how do you call a coyote? They placed them here to help thin out the deer population and I have one in my hunting area thats spooking my deer. We can kill these bast*ds and as soon as I get a shot hes leaving. If you could tell me how to call em, it ll make his disappearance sooner

Go to PREDATOR MASTERS website, you will learn more than you ever imagined on how to call a coyote. Coyotes, by the way, were likely already in the area and never put there to kill or thin the deer. However Wolves have been planted in many areas by the Federal Government to thin the deer and elk populations in attempt to improve the ecosystem. What crock of crap though, Wolves go on sport killing sprees and just kill for fun, coyotes do not.

Old 11-30-2003, 01:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default .308 semi-auto

No the game commission did put the coyotes here. Its something they did and let it be known.

Thanks for the site, I ll check it out.

Brad

Old 11-30-2003, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default .308 semi-auto

How to call a coyote made simple by Farmr123

1) get a predator call, this may be the toughest part, matching the call to the area. If they are bothering deer, maybe try a fawn distress call, or rabbit distress call. The new electronic ones are nice as you can use one call for anything.

2) STAY HIDDEN, if the coyote sees you walk in, he may not come. Do your best for no movement, and except for the call, as quiet as possible.

3) Call fairly quietly at first, if a coyote is nearby, don't spook him with a loud call all at once. If you get no response, try a little louder in a few minutes.

4) don't overcall, if you hear a yip, the coyote heard you. Give him time to find you, and keep your eyes open. He may be sneaking up to you through the trees.

5) If you get no response at all within about a half hour, move at least a half mile, and try again. If you drive a viechle, park it by some cover, and walk at least 200 yards or so from it.

6) If nothing comes, don't get discouraged. I have had 10 or more 'dry runs' in a row, and have had as many as 5 at once (I am guessing a litter of pups all kind of came together, as the ones I got were young).

Try after a storm, on the first quiet day, as they are more likely to be hungry

Trapping is another alternative. If you have bait, I think it is a better, and easier way to get coyotes.

Oh, and as far as the .308 semi-auto, I think I have my mind changed. What I wanted was something more accurate than my Mini-14, to have only one gun, but I have since talked to a guy who 'accurizes' Mini-14s, and he told me that Clark Custom Guns makes a barrell stabalizer for the Mini-14 that gives most of them MOA accuracy with good ammo, instead of the 4 to 5 MOA I seem to have been getting. It was something to see the targets from the same Mini-14 go from 6" to right around 1" just by adding it. I think I'll go that route, using the Mini-14 for coyotes, since I already have a bolt gun for deer.
Budget was a BIG factor, under $300, vs $1300+ list prices.
It might take a month or more, but when I get it mounted (I can do it myself) I'll post the results.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, though.

Old 02-02-2004, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default .308 semi-auto

Late response to your question but I will provide my experience and input.

For accuracy, a NM M1A, Armalite AR10, or Browning BAR are your best choices.
The HK91 and FN-FAL are fun guns but average accuracy. The Remington 742/7400 group are not any better. Close range suitable but I wouldn't want to take 300+ yard shots.

So back to the 1st 3. I used my M1A deer hunting one season. Jumped a nice buck up, got him in the crosshairs, and couldn't get my gloved finger in the triggerguard to push off the safety and fire. The smallish trigger guard forbids winter gloves unless you walk around with the safety off. Not a good idea. A heavy rifle after a while too.

Now to the AR10. Another rather heavy gun to tote very long. Sufficient accuracy but seems to have a tendancy to snag and hang up on brush if you are hunting in same.

Browning Bar. Very good accuracy from a semi, especially with a BOSS. About 2-3 lbs lighter than the other guns. Sleeker lines and less chance of hanging in the brush. Costs about half too.

Don't use those light magnums in any semi unless you want to damage it. They are for bolt and single shots only.

If your hunting is more of the sitting in a stand, or prone on a bipod and playing sniper with the deer (this is what I do) then the M1A and AR10 would be much more suitable.