Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

.308 semi-auto

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .308 semi-auto

I am considering a new .308 rifle. Here semi-autos are fine for any and all hunting, with some restrictions on magazine capacity for big game.
So far I think I have narrowed it down to either the AR-10 or the M-14.
Anyone with experience with either or both have any opinions they would like to share?

My main concerns are reliability, accuracy, longevity, and ease of cleaning/maintanence.

Thanks
Farmr

Old 11-14-2003, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default .308 semi-auto

Tough choice if you buy the upper end of each, AR10T and NM quality M14. I prefer the AR but there is nothing wrong with the M14, you could bet your life on either.

Old 11-15-2003, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default .308 semi-auto

M-14's a pretty heavy rifle, if you're going to carry it around at all. I've heard some shoot well and some are just so-so for accuracy. If you want a semi, what about a Remington? Much more geared towards a hunting rifle. I'm personally a bolt guy, but my Ruger Mini-30 (7.62x39 based on M-14 action) really is a sweet shooter and a good close range whitetail rifle. Nice on follow up shots.

Old 11-15-2003, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default .308 semi-auto

I have always had excellent results with Armalite 5.56 rifles and if I were buying a new .308 “battle rifle” it would be the Armalite AR-10(T).

Of course if I had access to unlimited funds I would have an HK-91. I had one of these yeas ago and LOVED it. Extremely accurate and super reliable. I kick myself for ever selling it. I’ve toyed with the idea of getting one of the knock-offs made with surplus parts and US receivers but I doubt they would be as well made or as accurate as the actual German manufactured HK-91 I had.

I have shot two M-14s. One was a built from parts welded up piece of junk that seemed on the verge of flying apart every time you pulled the trigger and wouldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. The other was a match grade model that shot beautifully and grouped as well as any bolt action. I was told the amount of money that was put into the gun to get it that way was astronomical and bordering on obscene.

Old 11-16-2003, 01:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default .308 semi-auto

It all boils down to what your going to be using it for, one needs to think alot on this subject before buying anything, always remember one shot one kill, so really a single shot would do most people rather well, other than single shots i like lever action as well, there short- reliable- fast follow up in needed but shouldnt, and cheap.

remember shot placement is everything, one shouldnt shoot a caliber that he cant handle the its recoil

Old 11-16-2003, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default .308 semi-auto

i have a hk 91 and have shot moose and deer with it , in canada it used to be legal to hunt with them but no more. we are going through the left wing controls for the last 15 yrs. I hope someday we can get rid of the left leaning governments and all the crap they bestow upon us. It was a heavy gun to carrie but a good shooter and no jamups with this baby. the remington semi is a poor choice , lots of ejection and feed problems, had one and my brother had one . sad story for a nice looking rifle.

Old 11-16-2003, 05:20 PM
Range Rover
Default .308 semi-auto

Originally posted by: CaptainQuint
I have always had excellent results with Armalite 5.56 rifles and if I were buying a new .308 “battle rifle” it would be the Armalite AR-10(T).

Of course if I had access to unlimited funds I would have an HK-91. I had one of these yeas ago and LOVED it. Extremely accurate and super reliable. I kick myself for ever selling it. I’ve toyed with the idea of getting one of the knock-offs made with surplus parts and US receivers but I doubt they would be as well made or as accurate as the actual German manufactured HK-91 I had.

I have shot two M-14s. One was a built from parts welded up piece of junk that seemed on the verge of flying apart every time you pulled the trigger and wouldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. The other was a match grade model that shot beautifully and grouped as well as any bolt action. I was told the amount of money that was put into the gun to get it that way was astronomical and bordering on obscene.

You do know that 5.56 is a 223 and 308 is a 7.62 right???

Old 11-16-2003, 05:22 PM
Range Rover
Default .308 semi-auto

The best hunting rifle or at least one of the beast and cheapest is a 30-06. Always has been and always will be.....

Old 11-16-2003, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default .308 semi-auto

OK, here's the scoop. I kind of am looking for a 'do it all' rifle. I don't hunt anything bigger than deer, so .308 is big enough. Here deer hunting is legal with a semi-auto with a 5-rd clip. Also, I am an avid coyote hunter. I agree with the 'one shot, one kill' theory, but I have called in 5 coyotes at one time once, and 2 or 3 is fairly common. Thus a semi-auto is preferred. However, I would like good accuracy for the 'one shot' on deer.
Now that I am looking, I see the AR-10 is also available in .243, but then again the .308 in the 'Light Magnum' loading from Hornaday is actually stronger than most 'Standard' 30-06 rounds of equal bullet weight.
What it boils down to is I want the most reliable, accurate clip-fed semi-auto in a deer-sized caliber, that won't weigh a ton to carry around. Most people put the accuracy of the M-14 and AR-10 as comparable, so I am just looking for people's impressions of both.
Thanks

Farmr

Old 11-17-2003, 09:21 AM
Range Rover
Default .308 semi-auto

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]TextHi Farmr, Have you looked at the Browning BLR semi- auto. It may be heavier than you like, but its a sweet looking rifle & very accurate, i understand. I myself like the bolt actions or the single shot Ruger #1. I do like the short action .308 caliber, even better than the 30/06.
I also like your choices but haven't shot either one. Most of my rifles are of the .22 cal. centerfires,ie, .223, 22/250 & are for varmint hunting.( prairie dogs) Also have a Tikka 25/06 for long shots at coyotes. I do have a Win. Mod. 70 IN 30/06, that i'll use with light grain bullets, like 110 gr. I belong to the Varmint Hunters Club & want to make a confirmed hit to get in the 500 yard club. Good luck with your choice. Regards, Jerico1

Quick Reply: .308 semi-auto