Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

_Mushroom Hunting_

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 04:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default _Mushroom Hunting_

As we all know ,mushrooms will be popping up in the next couple of months . I plan to head out to my woods and some great nature parks this mid april . hopefully i will find some ( id like a pound [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ) .
any of you on here go mushroom hunting??
i like to eat mine on pizza .

Old 02-16-2004, 05:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I like mushrooms but I'm afraid to get any from the woods. The whole poison thing scares me. It makes me nervous when I see odd shaped mushrooms in my take-out food.

Old 02-16-2004, 06:13 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

I too love mushrooms but don't want to die from eating ones... Without giving one to my friend to try first, how can I tell if they will kill me???

Old 02-16-2004, 06:33 PM
Range Rover

Sounds like to me that you both doint know what to look for if you went out to the woods to find some. if you know what you are looking for its great. I've seen on the net there are mushroom guides and pics that helps .

Old 02-16-2004, 07:03 PM
Range Rover

Sounds like someone is about to try and make some of that NASTY tasting Shroom Tea!!! YUCK!! Some people will do almost anything for a cheap buzz!! Well, be safe and have fun.......... Do not get caught because that is considered a crime in some areas...... In the younger days, I ate some and was not really turned on to the after affects, considered it strongly over-rated.....

Old 02-16-2004, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

dont trip to hard on the shrooms i did one time and thought my bro was tring to eat me lol good times huh?

Old 02-16-2004, 07:19 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

Oh yea, I’ve been collecting Morels for many years (they are not hallucinogenic ‘shrooms). On the down side this year I’m planning a 5 day ATV trip right around the time they start popping out in earnest. I usually manage to get the jump on the other few people that hunt for them here, I probably know of a few more spots than they do because I’ve been hunting for them many more years than they have. However with me being away this time hopefully they don’t get the jump on me and stumble on to some of my favorite spots! Generally our Morels come out within a 3 week window, from the first blacks to the last of the whites / yellows, then they are gone until the next year. Two years ago they were so plentiful I sold a bunch of them very cheap for $20 per gallon (I’ve heard of them selling as high as $50 per gallon for fresh ones)…

Old 02-16-2004, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

My wife is the big time hunter... there are only 3 kinds I'd be comfortable picking myself, ( Morels, Sulfer Shelves, & Hen Of The Woods )... my wife has been to several hunting wild mushroom classes, in the twin cities area, & we even structured our summer vacation to Colorado, around hunting mushrooms... we rented ATV's ( good for me ), & she found a boat load of edible mushrooms... most of the time we fry them up in butter & freeze them, but also dry them, for soups, etc... we now eat 8-10 varieties of wild mushrooms... most of the time, I look around, when trail riding with the guy's, then if I see any, my wife & I go back the next day...

Old 02-16-2004, 08:49 PM
Range Rover

i knew someone would say something about hallunicinogenic shrooms, but i could give a frog less about them. I'm talking about mushrooms like the morels, not some shroom you see in the Marino brother games .[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
the biggest morel I've picked was about 6 to 7in long big mushroom i thought, and it was just behind my garage right on the woods line.

Old 02-16-2004, 11:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

You bet, around here mid to late april, seems like about when the redbuds and dogwoods bloom. Morels are all I pick and usually find them in grown up fencerows and ditches and around recently dead elm trees. I prefer mine dusted in flour and fried seasoned with salt and pepper. Cracker meal isn't too bad but I don't like egg batter or corn meal or anything that covers up the flavor. I found about 7 or 8 gallons total last year and shared with family members who can't get out and hunt them anymore. Happy Hunting!