Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Split Limb vs. Solid Limb

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Split Limb vs. Solid Limb

I'm thinking very hard about a Reflex Buckskin. Everyone tells me that the split limb bows are either hard to shoot, unreliable and fragile or else a combination of all three. However, none of them happen to own a split limb so I have my doubts about their solid knowledge on this topic. Would a Reflex split limb with the Hoyt Cam & 1/2 system be a reliable and easy-to-shoot bow? I want something that will last me a long time without major upgrades or tune-ups.

Old 10-06-2004, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Hoyt makes a nice bow and split limbs are just as reliable as solid. When I was addicted to bow hunting a few years ago, Hoyt bows were heavier than most. I don't know how much they weigh today. If I were going to get a new bow, I'd look very hard at Matthews. I've not heard a bad thing about them and they are light as a feather. They shoot fast without any limb vibration, very well engineered. You can get different lengths/brace heights to improve accuracy or speed depending on your preference.

Old 10-06-2004, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

As much as I would love to have a Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech, etc..........my wallet does not. I'm looking for great performance at great price. Is anyone familiar with the Reflex line of bows? They seem to incorporate most of Hoyt's exact technology, but at a much better price.

Old 10-06-2004, 11:25 PM
Trailblazer

I have the Reflex timberwolf. Reflex is an excellent bow, they are a sister company to Hoyt. So, that explains the bows having the same technology. I highly recommend them.

Brad

Old 10-07-2004, 09:56 AM
Trailblazer

I have a Hoyt Tennacity II that I have had since new for the past 5 yrs or so all I have done is new cables and strings and shoot it. The split limbs seem to be as bullet proof as any other bow I have had. I too like the Mathews but they are rather pricey, my first matthews was a dissapointment because I had a Featherlight and it was very slow cause it did not have a weighted cam, but a friend just got a new one this year and it is very quite, fast, and he says it is user friendly.

Old 10-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

i have a hoyt pro-tec that has split limbs i've never had any trouble with it, shoots smooth and fast

Old 10-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

The only thing about the cam 1/2 technology, is that they are harder to tune. With one cam and an idler wheel, there isn't much to it. I know the cam and 1/2 bows haven't been out for very long, so I dont know that much about them. I do remember bows that had 2 cams on them, and they were a mess, IMO.. I would go with the Mathews bow. Notice all the ads about the competition shooting and how many wins Mathews has. It's because most everyone is shooting the Mathews bow at the competition. I dont have one, but the next bow I get will either be a Mathews or a Parker, or maybe even a Buckmasters G2. I have a PSE Beast right now that has been great, except for the fact that the limbs started cracking (at the fork by the wheel/cam), I took the bow back and they ordered new limbs for it. That was last year, its great now. The bow is a pro-shop design, so it is kind of rare, not many produced. Maybe check out the Martin line. The only thing I'am looking to change/upgrade to is a more quite bow, with less vibration. I've got limbsavers all over mine and they help alot, but it's still kind of loud still. Maybe something a little more forgiving. Dont get me wrong, last year I was target shooting and I shot an arrow into another one. I've been shooting for a long time, and this was the first time. I've hit a lot of knocks and been in sidways before, but this was the first time I "Robinhood-ed" an arrow.
I'am also going to look into the Muzzey Zero Effect rest. Cousin has one and it is awesome. $100.... If you really think about it, any new bow will be an upgrade from what you have now, and I think you will be happy with most anything new. Good luck. I'am a huge Cardinals fan, also!! They are gonna kick some but in the playoffs this year, and go all the way.

Old 10-08-2004, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

I've been shooting a bow for about 25 years. I started with a Bear Whitetail and have worked my way up to winning an indoor state championship. I'm not trying to brag, I just say that to let you know I have a little bit of experience. So with that in mind, I would say that 95% of the people that shoot with a bow wouldn't know if their bow was out of tune even if it could whistle. Usually, if a modern bow is out of tune, it's because of operator error. Limbs not tightened evenly, rests and knock points not in the right place, junk on the string isn't spaced properly etc. There really isn't any advantage to shooting a split limb verses a solid limb except a little weight. As far as the cam and a half goes, with all else equal, it's a little faster than a single wheele bow, but not as unforgiving as a two cam bow. The Reflex bow will be a very good bow for you. As mentioned, it's a sister company to Hoyt, so you'll get the same technology. Just make sure it feels good in your hand.

Old 10-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

Isn't the Cam & 1/2 supposed to always be in time with each other, no matter what?

Old 10-10-2004, 08:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I love my split limb High Country.

Quick Reply: Split Limb vs. Solid Limb