Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Skin Your Deer Fast with your ATV

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skin Your Deer Fast with your ATV

I got my elk out this year on my Polaris 700 EFI, but winching one up to skin it is another deal. We've done it before, using a Warn snatchblock, but it works better if we don't use the snatchblock and go straight over a tree branch to get some resistance. On the bigger bulls its a no-go. A big bull on the hoof can weight 1000 pounds, lifts the atv off the ground at the same time the elk is going up....works ok for cows and smaller bulls....

Old 11-17-2004, 03:58 PM
Range Rover

Dirtydude,

I was going to do outdoor carpet first I bought black and after I was going to glue down it looked like crap. You cant really see it but I used black spray paint w/ texture on oak plywood. oh I used pop rivets to secure down to rack.

Also when skinning the deer witht he atv all you do it cut just a little around the neck to get a tennisball size rock under the skin for rope. Cut the skin on the legs and pull off. Last year I used the wench cuz it was new and I wanted to use it. Well Nov 7 our of 8 hunters we shot 10 good bucks and I have set a new record for skinning. I just used a rope on hooked to the trailer ball. Around the camp there were deer in almost all trees. I just pulled up and took off taking the hide with me. Less than 30 seconds per deer to get that hide off. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-28-2004, 11:08 AM
Trailblazer

Do you have to remove the skin from the legs, or does it just pull off with the rest of the hide?

Old 11-29-2004, 05:40 PM
Range Rover

Cut skin on legs up the leg to 2nd joint of deer like normal and slice the skin from joint up to arm pit.

I cut the skin on the back legs better since the velocity of pulling the skin increases at that point and I dont want to rip the hams. In most cases I dont think it matters I'm just being careful. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-05-2004, 02:34 AM
Pro Rider

OMG, nasty!! hahaha. Well, guess that shows another handy way to use your atv. hahaha. And I thought usin my V-Force as a utility atv was handy!! Send me some deer jerky, that stuff is great!!hahaha