Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Advise needed about joining a hunt club

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise needed about joining a hunt club

I need some advise. I was able to begin hunting deer for the first time a couple of years ago with a good group of guys but had to move out of the area after only about 3 hunts (and never taking a deer [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]) I was wondering if it would be advisable for a beginner to join a hunt club? How hard is it to join one? I would need some help learning the basics of harvesting deer, etc. I'm experienced with shooting but have just not had much opportunity to learn to hunt (no one is left in the family that hunts). I'm 33, so I would be an old guy learning to hunt.

Old 11-22-2004, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

If they have "hunt clubs" where you live it may be a good idea. Your other option is to make friends with others that hunt again. Most people welcome new hunters. At least where I'm from they do.

Old 11-22-2004, 09:36 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

a bit of advice

when you hunt in wisconsin,,,if someone asks you to leave his treestand,,,be sure to get out of the way

Old 11-23-2004, 09:35 PM
Range Rover

One thing I would suggest is to see if you can be a "GUEST " at a hunt club before joining. Last thing you want to do is to shell out some money to buy into/join a club only to find out you cant stand the A-hole in the next bunk at deer camp LOL.... Hunting seems to be a dying sport and alot of the older hunt clubs are eager to recruit younger guys do to the slugging/*******/dragging/wood chopping etc so you shouldnt have much of a problem finding a club willing to give you a try. Ive always found that most clubs are willing to accept and inexperienced hunter thats willing to learn and GETS ALONG WITH EVERYONG vs the killing machine type of guy that pisses everyone off all the time. So if you are the type that gets along with people and isnt afraid to ask questions from the older guys you will fit right in, and wont have problems finding a good club .

Old 11-23-2004, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

I'd definitely want to be a guest before shelling out the bucks. I'm also pretty particular about who I'm shooting with (alcohol + guns don't mix, etc). I'm hoping by next season to have made some contacts.

Old 11-24-2004, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider

Bing,
Actually, it's if you hunt in Wisconsin (or anywhere else) and you're going to be a d!ckhead to someone with a gun, be prepared to face the consequences.

Old 11-25-2004, 01:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

You could start by buying some hunting books. Learn about things like rifles and ammunition, tracking, etc..

Then go out in the woods and look for the things mentioned in the books.

Try to find out if anyone you know is a member of a club. Maybe a friend of a friend of a third cousin of a Aunt of a new neighbor. Then see if you can go with them to their club to see what it's like.

Old 11-25-2004, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the advice. I may pick up a book on deer hunting. Even though I'm experienced with firearms and hunting regulations, I may take a hunting safety course over the winter to touch up on regulations and hopefully to meet some new folks.

Old 11-26-2004, 12:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have a few hunting books that I refer back to from time to time. That's what I should be doing right now because of the upcoming deer season. Look for a book that covers alot of different things.

One of my books, I bought a while back at Walmart. It's simply called "Whitetail Deer". (The Complete Hunter) It covers things like .......... almost everything. One thing you'll need to know is how to field dress a deer. Make sure the book covers this.

Contents of book- Understanding whitetail deer, whitetail basics, weather, habitat, food feeding & digestion, age- growth, senses, whitetail communication, breeding, whitetail conversation, equipment, rifles & ammo, shotguns & ammo, muzzleloaders, handguns, archery, clothing, accessories, preparing, gathering info, scouting, sighting in firearms, shooting, tuning & shooting a bow, shot placement, safety, techniques, and so on and so on and so on.

Old 11-28-2004, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks, I've seen your book at Walmart and was the one I was thinking about getting. I think I'll go by and pick up a copy.

Quick Reply: Advise needed about joining a hunt club