Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

What would it take to let me hunt on your property?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would it take to let me hunt on your property?

I do a few things to gain access to land one is a bussiness card with any type of vehicle I will have including my truck the fiances car and four wheeler with license plate #'s my home address and and phone nubers and email address. I usually stop in just to talk or help out atleast 3 or 4 times a year (more often if they are in the barn or outside when I am entering or leaving). To get a way into a new spot I usually shoot woodchucks, coyotes, fox and other nusiance animals that I enjoy hunting, most dairy farmers will not think twice about letting a responsible hunter harvest animals that bother their livestock. Then even if they hunt or have family that hunt and don't want you to hunt other animals such as whitetails on their property it gives you a great opener for other land owners "Hi my name is ____________ I hut over on _______________ farm taking care of some of his coyote/woodchuch problems and I drive by here atleast a dozen times a year and I always am seeing __________ (animals) in the area and was just wondering if there was any possibility that I could have permission to hunt on you property here is a business card incase that is possible or if you need to contact me if I can hunt on your land or if you would like to talk to others that may already hunt your land before you make your decision. I have been told I could not hunt on someones property only a couple of times (mainly by people hat refuse to let anyone hunt on there property)

Old 12-07-2004, 11:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with Pangborn. When I was a teen, I was big into the coonhound scene, even ran a kennel for a bit. While there were a good number of farmers that wouldn't let me hunt whitetail, I never had a single farm owner turn me down when I wanted to run my hounds. Since the season is long, and there is a training season over the summer, I got to know some of landowners pretty well. In time, trust builds up and some will let you hunt big game also.

Old 12-09-2004, 02:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Number one priority is to build trust with the landowner. Most landowners have had problems before so you can expect some resistance at first. I would do as others have suggested. They might be receptive to someone who would do a little bush hogging, tilling, discing, setting food plots, trail clearing, fence mending, picking up trash, pulling out beaver bams, brush clearing, road mending(water breaks), etc. I am not saying do all of this but maybe some of this. Landowners have a big work load and when that can be lessened they will listen. I have access to some family land and this is what we do. We only allow a few people to hunt and they work for it. They don't bring anybody that we have not approved. Some in the past thought that they could just take over. not. You will have to earn their respect. Get a clear understanding of what you can and can't do. From experience, it is amazing how much trash hunters leave and road damage they cause. As I said , landowners have been burned before so they will be wary. It will be up to you to prove otherwise. Give THEM an incentive to let you hunt.

Old 12-09-2004, 05:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

$75.00 per person, one please, one thankyou and a bag of gummy fish........... and a pepsi. 20oz.

Old 12-26-2004, 12:47 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Catterman
I own 35 acres of prime deer land in MN, and although I don't get back to hunt there but once every three years or so, I wouldn't let anyone hunt on it just because they might be the ones who shoot the monster buck!!!
lol!!! That was funny. As a suggestion, try going to the local feed store in your normal clothes and asking around. Thats a great place to find out information.

I agree with many others. I have a 3000 acre lease that I pay nothing for. I have tried to pay the guy more but he refuses. I have helped him several times over the years and even found his wife walking down the road 8 miles from home and picked her up and pulled her out of a severe ditch. She brought me cookies and home made lasagne that evening to camp. I eat with them and take them things that interest them such as Nebraska Huskers (which about kills me) stuff. I even picked up a fine used rifle for the owner in the city and had a scope mounted and bore sighted. He paid for it but where he lives there aint much around.

If you give most of these farmers will give way more back to you then you ever give them. Friendship. I would do most anything for these folks and consider them my family.

Old 04-29-2005, 10:12 PM
Range Rover

hmmmm.

Old 05-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

Ask permision and make sure you follow their rules. We have someone where I live that has asked permission before to go through our ground to get to where he hunts. We told him that it was fine, as long as either walked up quetly, and went up before light. He likes to ride his quad up though, and we also told him that was ok too, as long as he went up with plenty of time before it gets light out. Every year it is the same thing though. Right when it gets light he rides right past our tree stand. Drives me crazy. So a word of advise, if you are riding throught someones land, ride through way before light that way there is no way you disturb them if they are hunting also.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:00 PM
Range Rover

Has anybody thought of sending the land owner a letter ,telling them something about you like your name,age, ,what you do for a living ,married with children ,some incite on what kind of a person you are .
along with your phone # so that if they are ok with it they can call you .It takes some of the pressure off the land owner that just might say NO to some stranger standing there ,it also gives them some time to think about it .
I think this would work better than just stopping by and possibly interrupting them at a bad time .
Some days I just can't be bothered by people and others I'll talk for ever.

just my 2 cents.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-12-2005, 09:14 PM
Range Rover

grandpa says no,,,,,,,,because off insurance reasons,
"if they get hurt ,{he says,] thell sue your a$$."
no sighned agreement.......family only. period.
chicago boys have offered redicules amounts, which,
could pay ,or help pay his 10,000 dollar tax bill a year.
i might think diff. when my bro. and i .......inharet.....
then i would screen and keep close watch at all times.
]

Old 05-23-2005, 02:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 160 acres of prime hunting land in NW Mn. I only allow relatives to hunt, but only because my family is so huge!!! A problem I have with trespassers is shooting up my deer stands. They ride out there on atv's and shoot at the weak points (legs, stairs, etc).

Quick Reply: What would it take to let me hunt on your property?