Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Best Hauling device?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 03:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Hauling device?

What is the best device to purchase in order to use my ATV as an towing or hauling machine? Also I want to maximize the load capacity of my ATV with the device.

something like the small flat bed trailers, or a wagon or something like that...

I want to purchase something, but I need to be able to go across all types of terrain with this trailering device.

Old 01-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 5x8 tiltbed trailer that I haul my AC650 on. When I get where I need, I unload the AC and hook the trailer onto the hitch on back. AC has a 2" receiver standard on back.

If the terrain is too narrow or uneven to pull a trailer, I have a hitch hauler I use. I got the angle bar from Cabelas that raises the hitch hauler 7" for more clearance. It worked great for bringing deer out of the woods.

There are some other small trailers with floatation tires etc. that are specifically for use behind ATVs that may be what you are wanting too. Cycle Country makes an all terrain trailer for about $400. There are others out there too, many with sides for hauling. I just can't recall the names right now.

Old 01-12-2005, 07:11 PM
Range Rover

If you got the cash and are willing to part with it I'd go with a "mountain goat" trailer. Ive not seen one personally but I researched trailers a while back and the Goats the best one I could find. Looks like a well built trailer that will go anywhere that you can get your ATV.. Download the video.. its trully amazing. If you have a shop and welder available I think you could make a very good 'copy' for less money . :-]

http://www.mountaingoattrailers.com/videos.html

Old 01-12-2005, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a cheap trailer from harbor freight. I caught it on sale for like $130. Its one made for the street, but when I put it together, I didnt wire it or put fenders on it. It was just the frame. I have used it alot. Held up pretty good. Pic of trailer

Old 01-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: thud
If you got the cash and are willing to part with it I'd go with a "mountain goat" trailer. Ive not seen one personally but I researched trailers a while back and the Goats the best one I could find. Looks like a well built trailer that will go anywhere that you can get your ATV.. Download the video.. its trully amazing. If you have a shop and welder available I think you could make a very good 'copy' for less money . :-]

http://www.mountaingoattrailers.com/videos.html
those really are neat

the walking axle feature is awesome

Old 01-12-2005, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy...they are awesome...but for $900 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 01-13-2005, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

here is what I am using, awesome trailers and 3 different sizes depending on your needs:

Otter Outdoors

i have the Super Express, talk about tough....they work great....

dave

Old 01-13-2005, 02:50 PM
Range Rover

Like I said.. if you have the cash and are willing to part with it LOL..... I think if a guy had a well equiped shop you could build a Mountain Goat style trailer for about $400... less if you could find some used tires and rims. The actualy frame of the trailer you could weld together in about 6 hrs once you get all the materials and measurements figured out. Am considering doing just that this winter if i can find some rim and tires cheap.

Old 01-14-2005, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: thud
Like I said.. if you have the cash and are willing to part with it LOL..... I think if a guy had a well equiped shop you could build a Mountain Goat style trailer for about $400... less if you could find some used tires and rims. The actualy frame of the trailer you could weld together in about 6 hrs once you get all the materials and measurements figured out. Am considering doing just that this winter if i can find some rim and tires cheap.
I'm building my own trailer now since I have a Millermatic 251 Mig welder. I picked up the axle with hubs, rated at 2000 lbs. I'm basically building a flatbed, it will have sides so nothing falls out. I put on some wide road tires, with 940 lb capacity each....they're a trailer type tire, but not what you think, they are 10" wide and only 18.5" high....they are on what looks like a ATV wheel, buts it a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. I think it will work great for what I plan. I picked up the axle for $59.95 shipping, thats with the hubs. Tires cost me about $55 each shipped. So I'm guessing with the steel to weld up and the hitch, I'll have about $275 when I'm done and should be super tough. I'll post pics when I'm done....

dave

Old 01-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a homemade 2 wheel dump trailer that I made using the rear end from an old riding lawn mower for the wheels and axle. I also made a box that fits onto my rear rack that I can put quite a bit of stuff in. This is my first post on this forum so I don't know how to display pictures or else I would.

Good luck!!

Quick Reply: Best Hauling device?