Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Gobble, Gobble, Gobble!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005 | 01:14 PM
|
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!
Default Gobble, Gobble, Gobble!!

Originally posted by: SPORTSMAN70003
I got my first turkey for the year yesterday he was a gobbling machine. I called him away from a flock of hens & shot him at 25 yards. Wahooooooo 3 more to go and I also have a drawed hunt for 28th 29th & 30th of this month.
Awesome! How big was he?......his beard and spurs? You get to kill 4 birds? We only get 2 in the spring here. Youth season is this weekend and I'am taking my son out, other than that I have to wait until the 18th before I can go. Congradulations on your bird. Good luck on the next few! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-07-2005 | 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

He had a 6" beard 1/4" spurs & weighed close to 19lbs. Yea we can kill 4 gobblers in the spring. I'm excited about my drawed hunt it's in Chuck swan and they are turkeys everwhere. I been on one drawed hunt there and they was turkeys gobbling everwhere. My little girl wants me to take her this weekend shes 7 years old. Hope your son kills the Missouri state record. Good luck.

Old 04-07-2005 | 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

So far this year has sucked!. They are all henned up and will not come in to the calls. They do not even gobble during the day. I'm going home empty handed this spring. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] The sad part is that we have about 3 flocks of 30-40 turkeys and and can't kill out. I at least seen about 30 deer. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 04-07-2005 | 06:16 PM
|
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Originally posted by: ridinhigh
So far this year has sucked!. They are all henned up and will not come in to the calls. They do not even gobble during the day. I'm going home empty handed this spring. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] The sad part is that we have about 3 flocks of 30-40 turkeys and and can't kill out. I at least seen about 30 deer. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
The best advice I can give for this situation is to ambush the flock. Take a morning to watch where they come from and where they go. Set up in the route they take. Dont call at all, just wait for them to come into range. Sux if your season is over already, ours hasn't even started yet. Sounds like at least the first peak of the breeding season is over, and your season missed it. There usually is a second peak, but its usually after season is over. Around here we sometimes run into the problem of the peak of gobbling is before the season starts, and we are left to really hunt hard for our birds. Sorry if your season is over, good luck next year.

Old 04-08-2005 | 02:18 AM
Quad Patrol

SPORTSMAN70003, Congradulations on your bird[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I haven't taken one yet, myself[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Our season goes until May 1st. Hoepfully, I get a chance to go[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] before it's over[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-08-2005 | 04:21 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rescuediver
SPORTSMAN70003, Congradulations on your bird[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I haven't taken one yet, myself[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Our season goes until May 1st. Hoepfully, I get a chance to go[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] before it's over[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Thanks rescuediver, hopefully you will get to go soon and a bag you one. Good luck

Old 04-09-2005 | 10:30 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: ridinhigh
A bad day of hunting is still better then a good day at work or school in my case

Old 04-09-2005 | 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

You damn right it is![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I still had fun, I like to just be in the woods early and see and hear all the wildlife. At least I'm not the only one empty handed so far in the area. Everyone is having the same problem. Oh well, there is always fall.

Old 04-10-2005 | 01:32 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: SPORTSMAN70003
Originally posted by: rescuediver

Thanks rescuediver, hopefully you will get to go soon and a bag you one. Good luck
My daughter and I made it out today[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] didn't see or hear any[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Did find some old scratches. Checked a couple of places, one had m/c screaming through the area. So, we didn't try. The other area was a no go too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Pretty much have to agree with what's been said[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] There is no bad day of hunting[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] After we hunted, I then started looking for property to buy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] while on the way home[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-12-2005 | 11:33 AM
|
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

I toik my son out on Saturday for opening day of youth season which runs 2 days before the opening day and then they can hunt with an adult during regular season. We set up before dawn in a blind between two food plots and waited for light. At first light the turkeys started to gobble and gobble they did. I bet we heard 10-12 different birds. Several were across the river to our backs, but one was only about 100 yards away on roost. We called and he answered, so we sat and waited. Called a few more times and he answered, so it seems as though he will come looking for us. After he flys down I here all this hen chatter and notice not one but two gobblers in the field. Next thing you know they are surrounded by hens. I bet 5-6 for each bird. They put on a great display, but would not come to our calls. About that time I hear a putt-putt-putt from the rear. I turn slowly and catch a glimpse of 2 jakes making thier way away from us after spotting us in the blind. They went around us and met up with the other flock. Just then I notice about 8 birds up on the hill about 300-400 yards away. We sat there for about 30 minutes calling and waiting to no avail. I look to my left and see a hen making her way towards us. She crossed about 10 yards in front of us, giving us a perfect view of how the wild hen acts. We came home empty handed, but made a few more great memories and added some wisdom about these birds. Next Monday is the opener and I cant hardly stand it. I will be out there the next few days scouting and pin-pointing some birds to sneak in on during the season. Good luck to everyone!

Quick Reply: Gobble, Gobble, Gobble!!