Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Gobble, Gobble, Gobble!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005 | 02:46 AM
Quad Patrol
Default Gobble, Gobble, Gobble!!

Originally posted by: MrDumass
Well Monday was productive in the fact that I have gained knowledge on a few wise ol birds. One of em goes the opposite way every time. He's a smart ol bird that I have been hunting for 3 years now. He's got to be around 4-5 years old, and gobbles like a mad tom on a rampage. The other is more of a quite ol tom. He gobbles 5-6 times in the morning and then shuts up the rest of the day. Both these birds are henned up pretty tight. I'am thinking I'll have to get creative to take either bird. I had several jakes in range, but opted to wait until next week for one. I wont have time to hunt again until later this week.
Glad to hear you had some action[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] At least you had the option of "not" shooting[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] The couple of times I had birds that were within 100 yard, they decided to go the opposite way[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Hope you do get either one of those toms[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Here a story for you. Couple days after the daughter and I went hunting, I left my slate in the truck to practice[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] while waiting in my truck. It was nice out[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] so, I had the windows down. As I made a left hand turn, guess what went flying out the window[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] The slate[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I had it on the dash and it slid like a well lubed [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]anyways, the slate landed in the street and shattered into hundreds of pieces[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] Guess now, I'll get a box call[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-20-2005 | 10:35 AM
|
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

RD- that stinks about your slate call. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I always carry at least a slate, mouth and box call. To many times I've had turkeys hang up to one call, only to come in to the next call I picked up. The slates work well for me, and I like to use them best in the early hours of the morning. Soft yelps and clucks when on the roost work best for me. Get ya a new slate AND a new box call.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Both are fairly cheap, unless you go for the custom made calls, they get expensive.

Old 04-20-2005 | 06:38 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: MrDumass
RD- that stinks about your slate call. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I always carry at least a slate, mouth and box call. To many times I've had turkeys hang up to one call, only to come in to the next call I picked up. The slates work well for me, and I like to use them best in the early hours of the morning. Soft yelps and clucks when on the roost work best for me. Get ya a new slate AND a new box call.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Both are fairly cheap, unless you go for the custom made calls, they get expensive.
Yes, it did[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I also have a mouth piece too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] can't afford a custom made one. So, I'll go with a cheaper version. Probably get me a new slate too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Wife doesn't know it's gone[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] So, when she sees a new one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] she will think, it's the one I've had for a couple years now[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-22-2005 | 05:12 PM
|
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Well I guess I'am going to try em again this weekend. Kinda sux cuz the weather is not the best, but hey I'd rather be hunting (and ridding) then anything else. It may frost one night this weekend[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Cold mornings may keep the hens on the nest in the am. Hmmm it may be a good weekend if they want to gobble. Good luck, I know I'll need it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-22-2005 | 05:15 PM
|
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Edit: server keeps messin with me, so I somehow posted twice.

Old 04-23-2005 | 10:32 AM
Range Rover

i tried yester day.......
this weather isnt helping
i got from the 22 to the 25
and i got 70 hogs ta cut today...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 04-23-2005 | 10:44 AM
Range Rover

i got family in mislury........ you seem to me,like your a teacher
and well expierinced inthe outdoors alot ,thanks for sharing
id drink
some beer with ya....mr dumass
you arnt a dumba:"............[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-25-2005 | 11:42 AM
|
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Took a jake over the weekend. Actually my buddy and I both shot one at the same time. It was his first bird, so I was pretty excited that he got one. Saturday moring was rough! The temps were in the 30's and the wind was blowing at about 20-25 mph all morning, making it tough to hear a gobble. We did hear one gobble about 75-100 yards from where we were walking in, and quickly set up on him, only to be dissapointed by a no-show. We left that spot after about 2 hours of calling and watching to no avail. While walking the field edges trying to hear a gobble or catch a bird out and about for us to chipewa up on him. We spotted a flock in the bottom field and decieded to try and head em off at the pass. We beat them to the spot they were heading and set up. I put him up front about 15 yards and I sat a little lower in elevation than him. I called about every 15 minutes and after about 45 minutes here came a flock of about 15 birds. Surprisingly most were jakes. Anyway I couldn't see them coming in until they were about 20 yards away. Realizing the birds were about 10 yards from my buddy I waited until they put their heads down and raised my gun. Waiting for my buddy to make his move to lift his gun I realized that maybe they were to close and that he would get busted by moving, so I picked out a red, white and blue head, and squeezed the trigger. Down he went and just as one of the other jakes went to jump my buddy dropped him. Those birds were less than 10 yards from him when I shot![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] It worked out very well IMO, and I couldn't be happier for my friend. The bird I shot weighed in at a whopping 14lbs and had a 6" beard. Almost no spurs as he was a youngin. His breast bone was showing due to strutting so much. Now its time to go after his daddy! LOL.

Katman- I 'am not a teacher, but have much expierence outdoors. I have been hunting since I was very young and had some great teachers. I like to get others involved and enjoy their success as much if not more than my own. Maybe someday if I'am ever over in Illinois I'll look you up and take you up on that offer to drink a beer.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Good luck if you continue to hunt.

Old 05-06-2005 | 06:19 PM
|
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Well this weekend is the last weekend of our season and I'll be out both days. The last few days have been not so good. Turkeys gobbling on the roost but shutting up pretty quick when they fly down. I haven't had time to hunt most of the day due to work, so hopefully I can get one to gobble late if I cant get on one early in the morning. Good luck to all those who are going, congrats to those who have taken one or two already![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-08-2005 | 12:09 PM
Trailblazer

Well I just got back from my season today with success. I was lucky to get a 18.5lb tom. Not a bad first bird imo. I was up at 4 am each day walking all over trying to get the turkeys to gobble. I didn't hear anything Wed or Fri but on Thurs i got 80 yards away from a roosting tom. We was gobbling like crazy but when he flew down he went the opposite dirrection and wouldn't gobble anymore. Sat morning I overslept [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] and didn't plan on going out since I had to leave at 11am for family gathering. I finished packing and was going to put the atv away, but I grabbed my gun and drove around a field in back of our place real quick, sure enough I scooted a bird off in the corner. I raced to that corner and ran into the woods, sure enough he was standing approx 20 yards away looking scared, oneshot and down he went [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Unbelieveable, and here I was getting up at 4 in the morning, when I could of gottten up at 9 and still get a bird. The other days were still a lot of fun, nothing was gobbling during the day it seemed like, only when they were roosting. Total I seen about a dozen birds with only 3 toms including the one i shot. What a great season, I can't wait for next year to do it all again.

Quick Reply: Gobble, Gobble, Gobble!!