Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Gobble, Gobble, Gobble!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005 | 02:37 AM
Quad Patrol
Default Gobble, Gobble, Gobble!!

Dumass, That's the part I love about hunting[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Just being out there and watching nature doing her thing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Don't you just love memories that last a life time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

We went and looked at 25 acres of land Sunday[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Found out there's a flock of gobblers living on it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Now, only hope it's still up for sale[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2005 | 12:03 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

Check out my pictures for the results of our Youth Hunt last weekend. Both 10 year old girls got a Gobbler!
This was the 3rd bird for my Daughter and the first for my buddies Daughter. They were Gobblin like crazy!!
There were hen's sounding off and I just kept calling loud and often and finaly three jakes showed up to see what was going on. I got it all on video too!! It was a great hunt from the start. Going in on the ATV's and coming out on the ATV's with a couple of birds just made the day. WE cooked up the breast from one at camp after we checked it in,later we took the girls fishing and they got a few and got to see a buddy catch a 7 pound bass! What a day!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2005 | 03:05 PM
|
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

Wow- nice job there Camokodiak450! Cant see the pic of Logans turkey in your pic page. Looks like you have a pretty nice setup there with that red-dot sight on the shotgun. Is that a youth model 20 gauge? Was thinking about buying one for my son. Congradulations on the youth hunt, now its time for us to get ours. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Good luck on the upcoming season. Awesome that you got it on video. Did you guys hunt from a blind? What a day indeed!

RD- ahh the memories! Sometimes thats all that matters. I can remember as a youngster my dad taking me out after these wild birds and I had just as good of time being with him in the woods and not killing anything as actually bagging a bird. I have so many vivid memories of these hunts that I could possibaly write a book. I can see that my son is hooked and that we will have many great memories of our own to come. I hope that one day he has a son of his own to pass along the tradition and gain some awesome memories of they own.
25 acres is about what I'am looking for. I would like to have at least 50, but we all know the cost of land is not cheap. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2005 | 03:16 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

Thanks, MrDumass. I was having problems posting her picture but I can see it. Let me know tomorrow if you still cant see it. It's a big'in! Yes we had pop-up blinds set up a week ago. It's the best thing for kids,they can scratch their butt and move around and not get busted. Your right,it's a Remington youth 20 gauge with a aftermarket choke. Using Hevi-shot it's good out to 40 yards. I'll leave my 12 at home and take it this year. I was hunting near vichy, you probaly heard her shot that morning. Good luck to you too!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2005 | 03:46 AM
Quad Patrol

Camokodiac, Nice bird[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I couldn't see the second bird either[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Dumass, They are actually thinking of selling (2) 25 acres parcels[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] that they split off, from the rest of their property. I don't think we could afford the second 25 acres[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] But, I'm trying to talk a friend into buying it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] if they do sell[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2005 | 11:05 AM
|
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Camokodiac, Nice bird[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I couldn't see the second bird either[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Dumass, They are actually thinking of selling (2) 25 acres parcels[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] that they split off, from the rest of their property. I don't think we could afford the second 25 acres[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] But, I'm trying to talk a friend into buying it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] if they do sell[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
That sounds like an idea.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Finding the right person to share the land with would be the key. I would hate for something to go sour between a friend involved. How much does land go for out there? Out here its around 2000 an acre. Thats pretty cheap, but so am I. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2005 | 10:33 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: MrDumass
Originally posted by: rescuediver

That sounds like an idea.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Finding the right person to share the land with would be the key. I would hate for something to go sour between a friend involved. How much does land go for out there? Out here its around 2000 an acre. Thats pretty cheap, but so am I. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Couldn't agree with you more on buying property with friends or family. I'm just trying to get him to buy the second parcel on his own and I would buy the one. Joint ventures could split family and friendships[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

It all depends on what it has and where it's at. Land goes min. $2000 an acre up to $25,000+++ an acre. I'm hoping this is around$4000 an acre. Hoping I'm not wrong. If it's that per acre. might try and swing all 50 acres myself[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]If not, if my friend buys it, I'll have access to it and can deal living next door to him. He was my best man[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

There is a 30 acre piece for sale that over looks a near by lake[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It's just farther south, then where we want to buy (it's on the way to Yosemite). It's going for $130,000. Both places need a well drilled, utilities put in and septic installed.

Old 04-15-2005 | 03:37 PM
|
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Well it looks like we are going to have fantastic weather for the opening day here. Should be a great time. Going to be gone all day Monday, so hopefully I have some pics of a large tom to show off on Tuesday. Ya'll have a good weekend, and good luck if you go out.

Old 04-18-2005 | 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

The turkeys have been a real success story in Kentucky. I've seen flocks of 50 or more behind my house in the last few weeks. I took a picture of a group a couple of weeks ago - on my Pic Page.

Old 04-19-2005 | 12:08 PM
|
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Well Monday was productive in the fact that I have gained knowledge on a few wise ol birds. One of em goes the opposite way every time. He's a smart ol bird that I have been hunting for 3 years now. He's got to be around 4-5 years old, and gobbles like a mad tom on a rampage. The other is more of a quite ol tom. He gobbles 5-6 times in the morning and then shuts up the rest of the day. Both these birds are henned up pretty tight. I'am thinking I'll have to get creative to take either bird. I had several jakes in range, but opted to wait until next week for one. I wont have time to hunt again until later this week.

Quick Reply: Gobble, Gobble, Gobble!!