Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Gobble, Gobble, Gobble!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 03:33 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gobble, Gobble, Gobble!!

Guys I heard the turkeys gobbling this morning! They only gobbled for about 10 minutes, but man it was enough to get me all fired up. Spring season doesn't open until April 18th here. I cant wait for the sounds of thunderous gobbling, soft hen yelps, the drumming of an approaching tom, the roar of my mossberg uti-mag. Ohhh its gunna be a great season this year I can tell already. Sharpen up your calling skillz, the season is around the corner! Have we any other turkey hunters on the forum??

Old 03-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I hear ya man!!!!
I'm sittin here on the PC with 3-5 inches of snow tonight, watching deer walk through the yard. Saw some local birds with beards last week (not in my zone). Here in Wisco, my season is the same, mid April; but I pulled a second tag this year for mid May. WooHoo double the fun.

I need to start the walking regimen...the hills are alive (and man they're going to be tough to hike up)

Old 03-18-2005, 01:07 AM
Trailblazer

It will not be long until it starts. I do it with a bow

Old 03-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Originally posted by: outdoornut
It will not be long until it starts. I do it with a bow

Pakrfans- I hear ya about the walking part. Every year it seems I'am not in good enough shape to chase these birds all over the county. I love to walk around during the mid day and look for Morell mushrooms and listen for that lone gobbler.

outdoornut-I've killed one gobbler with my bow. We get tags during our archery season for both turkeys and deer. Three large toms came up within 10 yards of me, as I was 20 feet in a tree. I stuck him to the ground. Another time I shot one and the dam thing flew off with my arrow. I never did find that bird[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] I've found that the best way to hunt turkeys with a bow is either way up in a tree or in a blind. I've hunted out of blinds many times and have never been spotted by a turkey. They work great!

Old 03-18-2005, 01:32 PM
Trailblazer

I just got a spring turkey tag for the first time this spring up in northern wisconsin. What kind off calls and shot do you recomend to use. Any other tips for getting the birds in close would be appreciated

Old 03-18-2005, 04:43 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Originally posted by: oneshot7525
I just got a spring turkey tag for the first time this spring up in northern wisconsin. What kind off calls and shot do you recomend to use. Any other tips for getting the birds in close would be appreciated
Well I peronally use a mouth call the most, but I've had lots of years of expierence using them. I also use a slate call and a box call. If one doesn't work I switch to the other. Are you using a 12 guage? If so is it chambered for 3 inch mags? If so I used to use #4, #5, or #6. I pattern for the best results. I actually went to the 3 1/2" mag a few years ago, but have used the 3" for many years of success. If you have a hunting buddy, that is one of the best ways to get em into range. Have your buddy set up about 20-30 yards behind you and have him doing the calling. The bird will come in looking for the hen and most the time they wont come all the way in, they want the hen to come to them. This way you are out ahead of the caller/hen. That has worked for me more times than I could count. Then again I've had them hang up just out of range a few times to. If you dont have a buddy, the decoys have worked really well for me as well. I just set them up about 20-30 yards in front of me slightly to the left (for right handers) because its easier to swing the gun that way. Always be alert as sometimes the tom will come in silent. Wear full camo from head to toe, and dont move. If the bird is hung up just out of range, try to **** him off with gobble or a few fighting purrs. Good luck, and if you need any more info let me know I'll try to help as much as possible.

Old 03-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: MrDumass<br

Another time I shot one and the dam thing flew off with my arrow. I never did find that bird[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] I've found that the best way to hunt turkeys with a bow is either way up in a tree or in a blind. I've hunted out of blinds many times and have never been spotted by a turkey. They work great!
It is hard to get to full draw with Turkeys, they can see any movement. I have a roundhouse blind with the shoot-through windows. It works great. I like to put a hen decoy 15 yds from the blind. I have also had a turkey run away with my arrow. I never found him either, it is hard to believe that a bird can be that tough.

Trending Topics

Old 03-18-2005, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the advice (Mrdumass). yep i'll be using my 12 gauge with 3"mags. where i hunt, my place is surounded by about 200 acres of clover and corn fields that are plowed under from the previous fall. then i have access to about 800 acres of paper mill land in back of the fields that varies from dead open hardwoods to thick swamps. i've always assumed that turkey hunters hunt in fields, but last fall i would take my atv for rides back in the woods and i would always see some turkeys, but never seen them come out to the field. where do u reccomend starting out, in the woods or in the fields. also how aggressive do u use your calls, can u call too much.

Old 03-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Trailblazer

Ya, got two a couple of days ago. My buddy and I are going out Monday or Tuesday to see if we can get a couple more.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:51 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Originally posted by: oneshot7525
thanks for the advice (Mrdumass). yep i'll be using my 12 gauge with 3"mags. where i hunt, my place is surounded by about 200 acres of clover and corn fields that are plowed under from the previous fall. then i have access to about 800 acres of paper mill land in back of the fields that varies from dead open hardwoods to thick swamps. i've always assumed that turkey hunters hunt in fields, but last fall i would take my atv for rides back in the woods and i would always see some turkeys, but never seen them come out to the field. where do u reccomend starting out, in the woods or in the fields. also how aggressive do u use your calls, can u call too much.
Generally in this area the turkeys will bunch up in the fall and scratch the leaves away in the woods to pick at bugs and what not. I have seen them in the fields in the fall also but usually in the woods. In the spring they usually are out in the the fields eating grasshoppers and other type bugs. Also they like to display by strutting for the hens.

A good game plan is to go out to the property a few days before hand, even a weekend before. Get to the highest points and listen for birds to gobble early in the morning. You need to be at these points before daylight. Pin-point a few different birds and listen/watch to see where they go. This way you have an idea of what the birds are doing daily, giving you the advantage of an ambush. If they happen to be roostin over a field, just find a good set up on the edge, or get one of those blinds. Set up some decoys in the direction you think the birds will be coming from.

Calling the bird in can be the best feeling you have ever felt while hunting. I have honed my skills by being in the field and mimmicing the calls of a hen. When early in the morining use soft, quite yelps, and putts. If the bird gobbles to your call wait until he flies down before you get to aggressive. When in the tree sometimes they go ballistic and gobble 50-100 times before they fly down. Once on the ground they sometimes shut up and come in silent, sometimes they interupt your calling with a gobble. My expierences have shown that when the bird interupts you, or double gobbles to your call, hes coming! If the tom has hens with him already it may be tough to get him to come in, but if you can get the hens to come in, he's coming to. Once the bird is on the ground get as aggressive as you want if he's gobbling, and shut up for a little bit, he may come in and see if your still there. Usually anywhere from 5-15 minute intervals. If he's hung up out of range, try turning your head around behind you and cup your mouth to through the sound the opposite way, tricking him into thinking your walking the other way.

The most important thing while turkey hunting is of course saftey, always make sure of your target. The second most important thing is not MOVING at all. I sit with one knee up as a rest for my gun while waiting to see that bird. That way the gun is already at an elevation instead of sitting in your lap or on the ground. If you have to move, do it slowly. Slower than you have ever moved. A pretty good training aid are some of those turkey hunting videos. Usually you can buy one at wal-mart or sometimes a video store will rent them.

Quick Reply: Gobble, Gobble, Gobble!!