Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

biggest whitetail youve ever shot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default biggest whitetail youve ever shot?

Whats the biggest whitetail buck you have every killed? Mine was my 1st and only deer out of 4 years of hunting. It was an 11 point I got my 3rd year out. Picture should be in my pictures page as soon as it is accepted.

Old 04-29-2005, 04:54 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

Thats a pretty nice buck! What did you do to his neck?? I know some people say that you have to slit the throat, but you really dont. My best so far is in my pics as well as my sons first buck.

Old 04-29-2005, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

Thats a dandy.
My biggest rack wise is a 13 point non-typical.
My biggest weight wise was a 10 point typical that dressed out at 237lbs.

Old 04-29-2005, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

Lol, long story about the throat, and yes it was slit. The shot I had at the buck I took, and hit him good. When we went down to look at him, he was still alive. He was dying, and would have died, but my dad wanted to speed up the process a little bit. So instead of letting me just shoot him again he told me he would slit his throat. He gets beside it and tries to slit it and it jumps around a little and moves a couple feet away. The next time he tried, he got on its back and started cutting, by that time the deer felt it and jumped up in the air, "bucking" my dad off its back and sending him down the hill. In the process the neck was slit, and the deer died, but not before giving my dad a fun ride. It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I know it could have turned out bad, but it was still funny. Our church has a hunters banquet, and they hand out awards and stuff, and we made sure he got one for "Profesional Buck Riding"(PBR).

Old 04-29-2005, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MrDumass
Thats a pretty nice buck! What did you do to his neck?? I know some people say that you have to slit the throat, but you really dont. My best so far is in my pics as well as my sons first buck.

those are 2 nice bucks on your page too. I wish I'd have seen one this season. Didnt see a single buck, and just a couple doe[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]. But oh well, I still had FUN!

Old 05-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Range Rover

We always slit the throat... it just aids in removing as much of the windpipe as possible when gutting. Not sure its really necessary but we do it for peace of mind, less chance of meat spoilage . I will say though that if I were take a buck that I intended to have made into a mount I wouldnt slit the throat, or if I did the cut would be a vertical slit to make it easier for the taxidermist to 'hide" the slit.

Old 05-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

Originally posted by: thud
We always slit the throat... it just aids in removing as much of the windpipe as possible when gutting. Not sure its really necessary but we do it for peace of mind, less chance of meat spoilage . I will say though that if I were take a buck that I intended to have made into a mount I wouldnt slit the throat, or if I did the cut would be a vertical slit to make it easier for the taxidermist to 'hide" the slit.

I dunno. I've never had to slit the throat to get to the wind pipe. I just hang em up and reach way up in there with one hand and cut with the other. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I was under the assumption that some people do it as tradition.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2005, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

THATS A NICE BUCK ,WHAT CALIBER DID YOU USE? I WENT OUT A FEW TIMES THIS LAST SEASON BUT DID NOT SEE ANYTHING BUT A FEW 8 POINTERS NOTHIN WORTH GETIN ALL CRAZY ABOUT. I LIVE AND HUNT IN SOUTH TEXAS. WE GOT SOME DAM NICE DEER DOWN HERE.

THEY GET EVEN BIGGER NEAR THE MEXICO BORDER!

Old 05-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Trailblazer

back in 2001 1 got a 17pt which scored 172,got my pic/story in rack magazine and the buckmaster trophy book,that was my 15min of fame.
rodman

Old 05-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rodman922
back in 2001 1 got a 17pt which scored 172,got my pic/story in rack magazine and the buckmaster trophy book,that was my 15min of fame.
rodman

Remington Game Master 7600 30-06. I love that gun lol

Quick Reply: biggest whitetail youve ever shot?