Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

how can i tell if my tractor is overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005 | 06:15 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default how can i tell if my tractor is overheating?

i do not know if the red glow plug light is also a high temp light? is it because if not, there are no other warning lights, but i saw it flickering on and off just once for like 1 minute we just put new oil in it, we've never changed the anti freeze but we kept the level up to the reccomended area, and the belt seems kind of loose but the fan still turns and it wouldn't hurt to use the belt tensioner that is already on the pully system, its hard to get to tho, have to remove the radiator. anyother reasons? i checked the air filter i also just wanted to know how i can tell if it is getting too hot. because when the light was flickering i just thought a bad connection but the anti freeze over flow valve had anti freeze dripping onto the ground.

anythoughts?

thanks

Old 05-12-2005 | 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

I don't have a temp light or gauge on mine either but I have had it get a little hot a couple of times. My glow plug light is just for the glow plugs and only lights up when I hold the key in that position. Have you checked the front of your radiator? I have to clean the screen on mine every couple of weeks so the radiator can get enough air. You may not have a screen but if you do check to make sure it isn't getting clogged with grass, if you don't you might try flushing your radiator from the fan side to clean out all the fins. If your mowing grass or a pasture with it grass will get sucked up in the radiator fins and block the air flow. Hope this helps.

Old 05-13-2005 | 03:37 AM
Trailblazer

if you just started the tractor and it was cool out you can expect the glow plugs to kick on and off until the engine becomes warm....if the motor was warm and the light is still flickering something else is wrong

you should have a coolant temp gauge installed anyways, regardless of the current situation. A small investment now can lead to huge savings later. If your water pump goes out you will be out of luck and your motor locked up before you know what is going on. I would highly suggest putting in an old fashioned coolant temp gauge and be sure to place it where it is easy to see...not buried under the seat.

Old 05-15-2005 | 06:24 PM
|
Pro Rider

yes it does have a screen which can come off which reveals the fins of the radiator which i used to clean after i mowed the grass, but i haven't done it in a while, good thought, and i was wondering if the radiator fluid is supposed to come out of the over flow tube?

thanks

Old 05-16-2005 | 01:39 PM
Trailblazer

it will steam out of ur cap and anti freeze will come out