Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Antelope hunting with pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antelope hunting with pics

Hey guys/gals. I thought I'd link some pics of antelope I've taken with bow. Both of these are P&Y record book bucks, the first one score 82 and the other is 68 9/16. The first one was shot at 55 yards, the second at 72 yards. The first one I stalked 11 bucks in a group, got within 100 yards and a few of them finally spotted me. Luckily antelope are curious when you are crawling. I got in to about 70 yards and 10 of them ran, but the biggest one stayed. I was going to shoot him, but I moved in to 55 yards as the only cover I had was a yucca bush. When I got to 55 yards he seen me, but I was drawing by then. I mis-guessed yardard by a couple of yards and hit him about 3" lower than I was planning, but still double-lunged, he ran 70 yards and dropped.

The second buck, the one mounted, I crawled for 1.5 hours with two arrows in my teeth. I finally got in to 72 yards from him bedded. I had to stalk almost straight on because of the wind. He got up, turned dead broadside. I was shooting alot of 3D competition during this time and was great at distance guessing and also won the Men's Unlimited State 3D Championship, so I was pretty sure on the yardage. I was hunting with Easton ACC 3-28's going about 322 fps. I shot and the first arrow hit alittle low and because of the arc, went straight through his heart. He ran alittle ways out and stopped facing the other way. I guessed he ran another 20 yards, so I held my 80 yard pin high. I hit him just above where the other arrow came out. Needless to say, he didn't go anywhere.

Good luck for those of you antelope hunting this year. If anyone wants to put in for the NM Antelope hunt next year, let me know, you can hunt with me if we both draw or I'll take you out if only you draw.

Enjoy:

Antelope 1, 82 score

Antelope 1, another pic

Antelope 2, 68 9/16 score

dave

Old 05-22-2005, 06:01 AM
Quad Patrol

Those are some nice antelopes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] 10 years ago, my neighbor and I got drawn in California. We both got our animals[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img], but, nothing like yours. My does have what I consider a perfect coloring of his coat[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Out here, hunting antelope is basically a once in a life time opportunity[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] If you get drawn, you can't put in for another 10 years[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] And that doesn't mean you will get drawn again. My neighbor had put in for 30 years[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] when we put in together, we both got drawn on my first entry[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] The offer you made about taking someone hunting is awesome[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-22-2005, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, nice those are nice! Id love to go hunting for something like that, but We dont have any in Pa lol.

Old 05-23-2005, 06:05 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

Aww man that is awesome!! I would love to hunt/stalk antelope. I might have to take you up on that offer. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Must be a totally different expierence out there. I dont know if I'll ever be able to make it out that way, but if I do by chance, I'll look you up before I try and draw a tag.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MrDumass
Aww man that is awesome!! I would love to hunt/stalk antelope. I might have to take you up on that offer. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Must be a totally different expierence out there. I dont know if I'll ever be able to make it out that way, but if I do by chance, I'll look you up before I try and draw a tag.
It is one of the funnest and challenging hunting you will ever do. The season is 5 days and buck only, they changed that years ago from a 10 day season and either sex, but still a blast. I never tried to shoot a doe anyways, always after bucks. Like I said above, you can hunt them all day long, but it is in August and gets hot as hell. I put ice in my Camelback Hog...which holds 100 oz of water and I go through all 100 oz with no problem at all...you have to keep hydrated. The worse thing is if you are in an area with no cover, when you want to take a break, its in the sun....which is tough. But overall, its a blast. If you are in a good area, there is no shortage of antelope to chase around and stalk. It definitely gives you excellent stalking abilities.

Old 05-25-2005, 01:34 AM
Quad Patrol

MD, out here in the west[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Bowhunting is totally diferent then back east. My average distance kill with my bow is 41 yards. Even in a tree stand, the undersbrush is so thick[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] that a good, short shot is hard to come by. You could spend days trying to thin the brush out[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Also, antelope like the wide open plains. They have keen sight and smell. Good thing about them is, they are curious to see what you are[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] So, decoys work well[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] along with hunting watering holes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I wish my antelope was taken with a bow[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But, I took it at 221 yards with a rifle. Still I'll take it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] And the meat of an antelope to me is SWEET tasting[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-27-2005, 05:50 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

I figured as much. I can shoot pretty accuratly out to 65 yards. Thats all I have ever practiced at. I have yet to take a shot at that distance at an animal, but given the right conditions, would not hesitate. The last deer I took with my bow was less then 15 yards from me, broadside. The 100 gr Muzzey passed through the heart perfectly. When I cut it out I was so proud I kept it in my truck bed for 3 days.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Had to show it off a little.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Just wish I would have gotten a pic to post here.

Old 05-27-2005, 08:23 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Nice Antelope! I would love to pop one of those suckers. I hear the meat is bad, but those heads look pretty cool hanging on the wall! Thanks for the invite to go out there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] what are the chances of an out-of-stater getting a tag, and what is the cost? I am still a few years away from it, but I better start planing the seed with my wife now!!!!

Old 05-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Catterman
Nice Antelope! I would love to pop one of those suckers. I hear the meat is bad, but those heads look pretty cool hanging on the wall! Thanks for the invite to go out there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] what are the chances of an out-of-stater getting a tag, and what is the cost? I am still a few years away from it, but I better start planing the seed with my wife now!!!!

Non-resident is $202. Come on out, I'm always looking for someone to hunt Antelope with. It seems everyone I know put in for elk, but don't want to hunt antelope. The meat is actually pretty good, just as long as you get a good kill shot and they don't run far. The two record book bucks I shot make it 20 yards and 70 yards. Both tasted pretty good...

Old 05-28-2005, 12:09 AM
Quad Patrol

I personally think antelope meat is great tasting[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] The thing with game is, meat is easy to taint[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Want a good clean kill so, they don't run, field dress quickly, cool meat and make sure it's clean.

Quick Reply: Antelope hunting with pics