Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

what is your # 1 choice rifle cartridge for deer huniting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 12:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is your # 1 choice rifle cartridge for deer huniting?

Originally posted by: pwillie
Answer: I don't wanna be in any car hit by anything!Read Roy weatherby's book...ballistics don't lie!
Another fine study are the "Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders" Volumes 1 and 2 by P. O. Ackley. He covers internal and external ballistics, reloading, bullet design and many other topics. Every time a "New and Improved" cartridge comes out of some factory I have to look thru these old books and most of the time a nearly identical round can be found in the wildcat section. Occasionaly something new does come down the pike but its mighty seldom.

Old 04-08-2006, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not a big fan of the later Weatherby rifles,but I have studied their ballistics,and Ole Roy did his homework.If your into magnums,Weatherby is hard to beat. Me, I like to have as much advantage as one can have,it builds confidence.Until some one proves it better, I will stick with my favorites,Weatherby cartridges and model 70 Winchesters are my favorites,with Hart barrels..I was not at all impressed with the new Winchester WSM bullets.

Old 04-10-2006, 05:46 AM
Trailblazer

7.62x39 is popular in my area. I figure If i have a scope and dont take 200 yds shots with iron sights i will be OK. I am going to buy a .308 in a few years though.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: GoodOleBoy
7.62x39 is popular in my area. I figure If i have a scope and dont take 200 yds shots with iron sights i will be OK. I am going to buy a .308 in a few years though.
Sounds like you live in N. Korea?

Old 04-11-2006, 03:28 AM
Trailblazer

[quote]
Originally posted by: pwillie
[i] Sounds like you live in N. Korea?
Actually South Korea..Really though the 7.62x39 is similar to to 30-30 round.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider

Sloooooooooooooooooowwww Slow slow!!!!!!,no real knock down power!!!!!

Old 04-12-2006, 02:20 AM
Pro Rider

I've had pretty good luck with the 7.62x39 at short ranges. I use it for heavy brush work. In fact I got nearly all my does with it the last couple of years. Dropped them fine. Anything under 150-200 seems to drop them no problem. As long as you use QUALITY ammo from Winchester or Remington it kills just as well as 30-30 in my experience if not better. You don't want to take long shots with it though. I've found it to be a handy brush cartridge when used in short rugged rifles.

I've got a MAK-90 heavily modified with US parts, a folding stock and a eotech holosight that is wonderfully rugged and handy rifle. Put a lot of meat on the table for me over the past few years. Surprisingly accurate, fast on target especially with the holosight and as rugged as a hammer. With the composite stock and hideously dependable AK action you can drag it around on an ATV or in the truck and not have to worry about keeping it clean or the weather off of it like you do a regular rifle.

Yeah I've got better rifles in heavier calibers to use but having that ratty AK to toss on the ATV when the weather is crappy and miserable when I want to hunt the heavy brush is pretty sweet. Plus it is just always there. It is short enough to be in the box in the ATV for taking care or varmints so it makes it easy to just pull off early and sit in the blind for a few hours after chores during deer season.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

I saw to many AK's in 'Nam, I use a Ruger 44 mag super red hawk for my close work. 30 cal. seems to have the best ballistics for deer. 308 is a good cal., but I don't like its push.

Old 04-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

The DEA Agent that was demostrating fire arms safety,was that a Glock he was using?He needs to take a safety course himself! WAAAA HAAAAA HAAaaa!!

Old 04-14-2006, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

I saw that myself this morning on the news.....who would want to work around that guy anyway??LOL

Quick Reply: what is your # 1 choice rifle cartridge for deer huniting?