Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Strangest Things You've Seen In The Woods......

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strangest Things You've Seen In The Woods......

Both very interesting... I gotta stop reading this thread while I'm here alone though. LOL

Old 03-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

Good stories guys, Keep em coming!

Old 03-26-2006, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

REDGOBLIN...I dont know if they have cougar in Illinois...but, thats what it sounds like to me. Here in the NW...they have a huge population of these.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Range Rover

I've seen quite a few weird things in the woods but i'll only tell you one.
We were chasing a big elusive white tail all day. My dad was on his track and i was standing in case he circled back. It was half snowing and raining really hard all day. I was soaking wet and it was starting to get dark. I couldn't reach my dad on the radio cause he was along way off and walking fast after the buck. So i decided to head back to where another guy we hunt with was standing. I was standing under a big pine grove on a ridge. I turned to start heading back and about 30 yards away there was a large uprooted pine tree. And in the hole the roots made were 2 sets of eyes. I threw up my 30-06 and look threw the scope. All i could see was big ears and their eyes in the dark. The whole time i was standing there (45min or so) there were 2 wolves watching me. All the hair on the back of my neck stood up and i turned and got the hell outta there. I was amazed i actually seen a wolf other then when i was driving down the road in my truck. But it was a freaky incounter none the less. There are wolves all over the place where we hunt in northern WI. But you never see them when your sitting in your stand. Just the tracks. Weird

Old 04-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

Last summer a few buddies and me were riding in the woods when we saw an area caution taped off....A cardboard sign said "DANGER BEEZ"! We didn't know what to think, but BEEZ must be BEES and a buddy was allergic so we didn't stick around to find out!

Old 04-06-2006, 06:54 AM
Trailblazer

i have also had a few wierd things happen, but the funniest was when i was bow hunting in northern wisconsin with some friends. I was sitting in a ladder stand close to the property line when i herd a pack of wolves start howling. it kinda freaked me out but i rarely ever leave the cabin without my 45 at my side. So i figured i would wait untill dark when my buddy would come pick me up. about 5 minutes after they started howling the nehbor come running and started climbing up my stand. when he got about halfway i hollered at him to get away form me. he got all the way up to me and asked me if he could wait till the wolves left. As hes standing there arguing with me my treestand decides it cant hold the weight anymore and collapses. so while im hanging there by my safety harness he just takes off running. after about 5 mins i was able to get down and walk back to the cabin madder than hell.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:05 AM
Trailblazer

another one that always freaks me out is my uncle who loved to hunt was killed in a snowmobile accident a few years ago. We left his favorite stand up but noone ever sat in it. one night two years ago i walked past it on my way in and was thinking about sitting there. instead i sat on the ground about 60 yards away. on my way out of the woods that night i noticed blood right under the stand. I followed it about 35 yards and found a gutpile. some of the blood i found was in my footprint. I know noone was in that stand that day. When I showed another uncle the trail and the pile he told me that was the exact spot the last deer my uncle shot dropped before he was killed.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

That is kinda freaky ^^

Nothing really strange here, but something that kinda freaked me out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I was hunting for bear, back when you could still legally bait for bear in Washington....anyways I was pretty young still. My older brother and his best friend were avid hunters/trappers etc and they had several bear baits set up. We all went different ways and set up on different bear stands. Mine was way up in the woods and was prolly a good 1/4 mile from the road. They dropped me off and showed me thru the brush where I would sit in the tree stand they had set up. I took a bottle of maple syrup and sprayed it all over the bait pile and in the bushes around it (thinking I might cover my scent and added attractant) Well nothing showed up at all....

I was getting ready to leave, auctually I was waiting for them to honk then I'd follow the sound for bearings and eventually see headlights. The honk never came! It was getting very very dark out and I was in my tree stand. Then I heard some brush break under me! It was too dam dark to see anything but I could definatly hear something coming. I kept perfectly silent, then I heard some scratching under me, on my tree! Then I heard brush break to the other side of me...I was freaking out but remaining perfectly silent. Then out of the dark abyss below me I could see faintly, some darker shapes, shadows rather but they were moving. I strained in the darkness to see the bears below me but my imagination started playing tricks with my eyes....where those shadows or bears? Then clearly I could see the shadow move and to conferm my suspesion I heard some more brush rustle in the direction of the shadows, wait more than one shadow! I counted 3 shadows moving around! OMG I am surrounded by bears in the middle of the night and I have no flash light! I waited there until what must have been midnight with no flashlight, no moon and at least 3 bears right below me. I was getting very worried now. Did my brother forget me? The bears below me brought me back to my sences as I could hear another one in the woods right behind me, it was clacking it's teeth! I could hear it chomping it's teeth then it started huffing....OMFG that scared the hell outta me! I couldn't see it but I could hear the menece it was making......then it charged....the brush EXPLODED under my tree....I wished I was higher up the tree! I thought it was coming to get me! I wanted to scream and crap my drawers but I remaind silent but screamed in my mind like a little school girl!... where was that damm honk!

It had to be 1am by now, it was totally black except for a tiny sliver of a moon and some stars..it was cold, very cold and there was a monster bear under my tree. I think the bear was a monster because it charged the other bears off, prolly a large male but I couldn't see it. I could hear the other bears circling around the bait pile, circling and coming under my tree. A couple times I could hear them clawing my tree, raking the bark off and snuffing. They must smell my ladder rungs, and the scent of my climbing up. It was horrifying to hear them snuffing mere feet below me and raking their claws on the bark, shreadding the western larch on which I was perched.

HONK! HONK! omg they are here! I could hear the honk of their truck! faintly I could hear them shouting my name, there was quite a ways between them and me, it was dark and the area was very brushy.... I yelled back...."BEARS!!" The brush exploded under me in all directions, the bears exploded in the brush running over everthing in their paths, bouncing off trees, ripping thru brush..they sounded like a large boulder cascading off a cliff into a forest bolwing down trees making a tremendous crash. I took aim with my rifle and pulled the trigger, the sound blasted thru the night making a blinding brilliant flash....just to make sure the bears are gone I thought!

I could hear my brother shout "You get one!?"

I walked back to the truck, shaken my hairs standing straight up on my neck...fatigued from being frightend so long, it must have been 3 am...

Finally I get back, my bro askes again "You get one?" "No" I say, "it was a bit too dark, I seen a large male on the pile but you guys honked and started yelling and crap, damm bear took off" "oh", my brother says, "sorry I thought you were ready to come in" I say "ya, it was getting kinda dark and hard to see, but if you woulda waited just another minute I mighta got that bear!" My brother says "well let's go home, I'm hungry"

I rode home in silence, the clock on the radio glowed 8:35

Old 04-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

Dude, have you practiced that story or what man?? LOL It was very well told, interesting too how minutes can seem like hours when you're scared out of your mind!!

Old 04-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

thanks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

first time I've ever told it

Quick Reply: Strangest Things You've Seen In The Woods......