Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Strangest Things You've Seen In The Woods......

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005 | 02:41 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Strangest Things You've Seen In The Woods......

I came across this kind if thread in a whitetail hunting forum and some of the stories were great. Everything from bigfoot to catching teenagers doing the, and I quote "horizontal bop."[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]I thought I just absolutely HAD to transfer the topic over to the hunting side of things at the ATV forum and see what stories our resident sportsmen had to tell. Mine's nothing special, but might as well throw it in the mix for the fun of it. Just a few years ago during second shotgun season in Illinois, it was right at that point of dusk where you tell yourself "Well, better get outta this dang tree." Now my stand location this evening was in the woods bordering a huge field. There were, on different parts of this field's edge, three other hunting buddies of mine. As I was just about to exit my stand, I heard from the woods about 80 yards or so to my left an absolute blood-curdling scream and swift, loud movement crashing through the brush. The scream was certainly not human-sounding at all, but certainly not something I'd ever heard before in my entire life anywhere, even on television. You couldn't see anything 50 yards out or more in the darkness of the woods. Needless to say I sat right back down and placed a death grip on my 20 gauge. I immediately got on the radio and inquired to the guys if they'd heard it and what the hell it was. They'd all heard it, but nobody had any idea at all of what it was. We all agreed to meet in the middle of the field and leave the timber together so we did just that approximately 5 minutes later. To this day, I like to think it was some kind of bird or something, but I have no solid idea of what it really was. Makes me just a bit uneasy when I am leaving the woods in bow season with only a mini-maglight to guide me. Keep it going.........

Old 07-21-2005 | 09:46 AM
Trailblazer

One possible idea for what you heard could be a Mountain Lion. I have never heard one but they say they sound almost like a woman screaming. Just a wild thought.

As for mine, about 5 or 6 years ago, I was walking into my stand before dawn. I had a really small flashlight to not spook game and it was late bow season. The rut was starting and I had a drag rag with doe pee tied to my boot. I heard movement and stopped and switched off my light. This thing started walking around me. After it made a complete circle around me in a mintue or two, I had enough. I also carry a second light made by SureFire. This thing is the brightest flashlight I have ever seen. (Cops use it to blind bad guys in the dark!! It's like 60+ Lumens) I hit the SureFire and there about 20 yards from me was a small 4 pointer that I guess thought he was going to get him some.... Didn't happen![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

A friend of mine was also turkey scouting on his lease last year and came up on a college couple doing the "horizontal bop" and like a true gentleman, he just watched from a distance until they left, all happy!

Old 07-21-2005 | 12:18 PM
Trailblazer

The screaming you heard could also have been a rabbit. I've been awoken by a screaming rabbit getting attacked by the neighbors cat - it sounds a lot like a woman screaming, but not quite human...

I haven't personally come across anything too outrageous, other than a 3 legged buck (with still tasted as good as the 4 legged kind [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ), but my brother had a bear cub climb up his tree stand while momma was standing down below. Luckily he was able to spook the cub down without getting the sow upset.

Old 07-21-2005 | 12:57 PM
|
Pro Rider

I know what the rabbit sounds like because I coyote hunt. I'd really like to think there are no cougars in Illinois, but I've heard of sightings. Slash, I know what you mean about the SureFire Light. Those things are ridiculously bright! They eat through batteries like crazy though.

Old 07-21-2005 | 12:58 PM
Trailblazer

Well- I have seen a some strange/cool things in the woods. Bear with cubs, bobcat catching a pheasant, two big bucks- one 12 and one 10 fighting.... But the worst thing I ever ran into was a guy sitting on the shore of a lake caught shall we say- his manhood in his hands or as we like to say here in Michigan- Dating miss michigan.

Guess, I was sneaking along too quietly- but boy did his eyes get big and his hand get empty quick!!! Laughed my *** off with that one!!!

Marsh

Old 07-21-2005 | 01:03 PM
|
Pro Rider

This was the very first and I believe best one in the other forum. Copyright of I_Shoot_Stuff, so nobody thinks I made it up:
my unlce his girlfriend and 2 frineds went up to this old pet cemetary to just hang out/and just dick around. well my uncle and his girl went on a walk. they walked away from there van and were walkin by the woods and stepped in. my unlce looked down and he said he saw something huge bent down scooping water and drinking it up out of the creek. my uncle said the moon was shining so bright he could see the water run down his face. and then it stood up and my uncle said it was about 7-8 feet tall. when it stood up my uncle told his girl to run back get his friends and the van. so she ran back got them and came back. well across the woods and creeck was like a satanic church. so thats why he wanted to get out. when his friends got there it already had started climbing up towards my uncle his friends got there. they saw it and they wanted to wait because all 3 of them could of taken whoever or whatever it was most likely. but as fast as it was moving. and it was waking they started for the van and it started running after them they got in the van and could here it like screaming after them and it chased the van till the van got up to speed and couldnt keep up. then it just stopped and stood there.
he said he never went back and, this is true my uncle wasnt lying about this. and he still cant make up his mind what it was. like a man, bigfoot, or something else.

Old 07-21-2005 | 01:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

First , let me say howdy to everyone since I'm a newbie. I'm also an avid south Texas hunter. What a thread ! I've hunted all my life & have seen many strange things from an albino skunk to a white tail buck that got up and started walking after being shot as my dad & I were dragging it to the truck . . . TWICE ! I'm sure all of you that hunt deer have tons of respect for the things. Sometimes their enteligence amazes. We hunt in Texas so therefore are allowed to hunt feeder pens. We have to put barbed wire fences around the feeders to keep goats , cows , feral hogs & things away from the corn. Anyway , a couple years ago I'm on a hill above a feeder. It's early in the afternoon & the only thing approaching the feeder is a yearling , it's young mom & and an old doe. The two older deer hopped right in to the pen & started feeding. The yearling just walked around the perimeter of the pen looking for a gap in the fence. It wanted some corn but could not find a way in. The older 2 deer had been in the pen maybe 5 minutes & it was driving the yearling crazy. It found a low point in th middle of the fence & nosed the top strand for what seemed like 3 or 4 minutes. I knew he was fixin to jump his first fence & kept glassing the episode. He finally jumped but caught his hind quarters on the fence , turned about 2 flips & hit the ground right on his back. He hopped up & proudly started eating along side the other 2. After a while something spooked them & the older 2 jumped out & started walking away. The yearling was still stinging from his first fence jump & couldn't make himself jump. The young mamma doe would snort , scratch the groung as if telling the yearling " lets go " . Nothing would make that yearling jump that fence again so I'm thinking I'm going to have to go down there after the hunt & let it out. Well this is where the story gets strange. The older doe was standing about 30 yards away & was watching the whole thing. Finally she walked over & jumped back in the pen. She then walked around a little & then walked up to the yearling as if to somehow comfort it or something. They were standing rubbing noses for a minute then the old doe turned away for a second . As she did , the yearling turned towards it's young momma outside the fence. Then that old doe let out the loudest snort I've ever heard while rearing up on her hid legs. She then hit the groung with her front feet & flat scared that yearling into jumping the fence. It cleared it by at least 6 inches , then ran over to it's momma . They went walking off together & the old doe watched them walk away, then jumped out & walked away the opposite direction. It was as if she was training both the young doe & the yearling at the same time . The sad thing is , I had a video camera but never took it out of my backpack not knowing what was going on till it happened.

Old 07-21-2005 | 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

Not real strange, but it was weird. I shot a buck during muzzle loader season about 8 yrs ago. It was about 30 yards from my stand. When I shot, he dropped in his tracks. I decided to stay in my stand for a couple of minutes to let the woods "calm" down. About 15 mins later, 3 tom turkeys came over the ridge right to the downed buck. They started pecking at the buck like they where trying to kill it again. They kept this up for about 5 mins, and all of the sudden left. Never knew turkey would be this aggressive towards other animals.

Old 07-21-2005 | 11:32 PM
Trailblazer

i have to things to share. first one isnt weird but it scared the hell out of me when it happend. about two years ago i was hunting on our land and it was like the 4th season ive hunted and im only 15. i was walking to my deer stand and it was about noon. i went that mornin and didnt see anything and didnt exspect to see anything again but i was wrong. as i went though the first creek crossing (i walked because my bayou couldnt make it with stock tires) i seen this nice sized nine pointer chasing a young doe across the hay feild so i stopped to see if i could get a shot. i whistled to get him to stop and stop he did... fer a second then he looked at me, grunted and came full speed at me so i shot and missed the first time and shot again in the neck and dropped him in his tracks. counted off how many yards away he was before i dropped him and it was like 23 yards! it scared the **** out of me. the other one is when me and my cousins and their friends were all out riding on the trails at my uncles coyote pen. it was probley about 7:00 in the evening. we were going on this new trail that we made with the ol' bob cat and we seen this coyote chasing a doe. they got about 25 yds down the main road and then all of the sudden this hudge buck came out of nowhere and practictly tackled the coyote. after about 30 seconds of walering the coyote around the big buck ran down the road after the doe into the woods. it was the coolest thing ive ever seen.

Old 07-22-2005 | 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

was riding my atv threw some new trial that i had never been on and at the end of one there was like a sacrafisal area of rocks piled up and two blankets at either end on the ground and on top it was all bloody i got out of there quick it was like blare witch kinda stuff

Quick Reply: Strangest Things You've Seen In The Woods......